HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
quite the opposite. The pencil towers are creating much more visual interest in a skyline which previously was relatively table-top and uninteresting beyond it's sheer scale.

People who dislike them dislike them for "change" reasons alone. NYC Is a city that has always evolved and changed, and the ~1980-2010 period was the anomaly in the city with it's relatively slow pace of growth and change. These new towers are new, but they are not bad, and they cannot ruin a skyline which has always been in itself a living thing which changes and evolves, sometimes dramatically.
orrrrr, i personally dont like them cause they dont look particularly good. Im not adverse to change at all

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:48 PM

One thing is for sure, they're fleecing New York City tax payers. Billionaires paying basically nothing in residential property taxes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Also, 432 Park looks like it's aging badly to me. Does it look that way to anyone else? It's only a decade old but it's starting to look a little dingy from the outside.
It has looked bad from the day it was built. Doesn't help that it's so big you can see it from every corner of the city. The exposed concrete is getting dirty so it's starting to look like Ponte City.

It's also riddled with flooding, noise and safety issues, horribly built building.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 9:58 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

I don't think the skylines of either Lower Manhattan or Midtown have been ruined. There is so much to love--it would take a lot more than some ugly, enormous 1970s refrigerators or tacky, twiggy 2020s pipe cleaners to truly ruin them.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Onwards and upwards is what I think!
I agree with this.

And a lot of them aren't really that skinny. They add a new dynamic. It definitely gives the city a more futuristic look especially given the height.

I still think Lower Manhattan has the best skyline but at the same time, DoBro is catching up. It has its unique look to it. Good symmetry for now.

NYC essentially has 6 skylines.

1) DoBro
2) Lower Manhattan
3) Midtown
4) LIC (Long Island City)
5) The rogue province of Jersey City
6) The Territory of Miami (the invasion has begun already via New Yorkers)

The way things are going, LIC will eventually fuse with DoBro along the East River.

IMO, Hudson Yards has added the most in terms of dynamics and aesthetics. It really depending on the angle is overpowering but in a unique way, and we still have Phase II to go along with all the proxy developments that will spur.

Credit: Peter Moy

NYC and the Whitestone Bridge by Edgar Omar, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
quite the opposite. The pencil towers are creating much more visual interest in a skyline which previously was relatively table-top and uninteresting beyond it's sheer scale.

People who dislike them dislike them for "change" reasons alone. NYC Is a city that has always evolved and changed, and the ~1980-2010 period was the anomaly in the city with it's relatively slow pace of growth and change. These new towers are new, but they are not bad, and they cannot ruin a skyline which has always been in itself a living thing which changes and evolves, sometimes dramatically.
What he said.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:07 PM
A Man In Dandism

I'm fine with the skinny towers too. I don't think they've ruined the skyline at all. All skylines could use more skinny towers in fact.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:08 PM

DoBro is Downtown Brooklyn? I hate that Why not just say Brooklyn? It's not like there are really multiple Brooklyn skylines of note.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

As far as the skinny towers go, Central Park Tower is the least offensive. At least it has some massing.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
DoBro is Downtown Brooklyn? I hate that Why not just say Brooklyn? It's not like there are really multiple Brooklyn skylines of note.
NoHo!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
As far as the skinny towers go, Central Park Tower is the least offensive. At least it has some massing.
We will be bringing in some thick ones to the party soon. 270 Park, Penn15, 175 Park, most of the Penn Station District towers within the next decade and many more.

NY also builds thick. Some of these skinnies will be drowned out in time. If it ain't over 1400', it'll get lost in the forest.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:11 AM

I love so much although I’m still getting used to me.

If someone showed me those pics in 2010, I’d say it was from a futuristic movie set in the 2060’s or later.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:09 AM

I think downtown's skyline is more problematic with the fat towers because they built the so many tall ones on the waterfront. 55 Water Street and the 3 towers next to it are just awful, in my opinion. Midtown will be fine as the skinny residentials are in the process of being balanced somewhat by the new JPMC and new office towers planned like 175 Park Ave beauty.. And talking about fat towers, midtown has quite of few that I don't think mesh well with the skyline, like One Penn Plaza (my opinion). I have mixed feelings on Hudson Yards; I'll see if phase 2 makes it more interesting.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:58 AM

I am mostly negative on the pencil thin boxy ones. From many miles away they look like industrial smokestacks. They dwarf the classics like Chrysler, Empire State, etc. They remind the population of how the billionaires look down on the serfs. There are a few that are better designed, with tapers. Anyway, they are there, so learn to love them.

Now that the econ is slowing, and the Russian oligarchs aren't able to buy, the construction pace may slow to a crawl for a while. We have seen peak "pencils" for this cycle perhaps.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 2:16 AM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I love so much although I’m still getting used to me.

If someone showed me those pics in 2010, I’d say it was from a futuristic movie set in the 2060’s or later.
Agreed. As great as it was, the NYC skyline was starting to look a bit dated. With the latest crop of towers, it looks more modernized like some of the Asian skylines.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
so learn to love them.

Now that the econ is slowing, and the Russian oligarchs aren't able to buy, the construction pace may slow to a crawl for a while. We have seen peak "pencils" for this cycle perhaps.
Russian oligarchs have never been a significant share of buyers in NYC, or any U.S. market. This isn't Monaco.

NYC luxury towers are overwhelmingly local buyers. Actually almost entirely local buyers on the Upper West and Upper East sides, and in Brownstone Brooklyn.

And you have the housing market reversed. The superluxury housing market was very slow, for years, until 2021. It was booming pre-2016 or so, but slow until recently. There's been very minimal product, and so a high end construction boom is likely in the coming years.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:47 AM

Pencil towers are silly looking and just bad penis architecture. But they’re worse for their useless function:full floors to be sold to Saudi Princes and Russian Oligarchs to own and NEVER occupy.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Yeah those towers are awful. Do they all have to be so boring architecturally? I guess you can't do much with the limited space.
Nice architecture would require not trying to extract every last cent of space and trying to get in as many billionaires on top of each other without collapsing: the very reason why they’re as tall as possible.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:07 AM

Eh. I’ll take them over the chunkiness of Hudson Yards. I appreciate the designs were built from the necessity of not having a large footprint.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 9:30 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

From far away, the skinny towers give the skyline a Gotham-y look and look great in silhouette. They make the skyline more unique IMO. But I understand why many find them ridiculous.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions