HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:52 PM

NYC Mayor Eric Adams Says Yes to City Real Estate Development, but...

Eric Adams Says Yes to City Real Estate Development — If Only the Council Could Agree

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/6/1/231...opment-council

Quote:
A day after developers dropped plans for an ambitious Harlem real estate project rather than face defeat in the City Council, Mayor Eric Adams proposed sweeping changes to city zoning rules aiming to spur more housing and jobs — changes that will require a cautious Council’s approval.

In remarks Wednesday morning to the Association for a Better New York, a network of the city’s movers and shakers, Adams touted a “City of Yes,” where local officials and constituents will embrace development rather than fight it.

“We want New Yorkers to stay here, put down roots and raise families. We want to continue welcoming immigrants and young people seeking opportunity,” said Adams. “We’re looking to change up the rules and allow a wider range of housing types and sizes to accommodate all kinds of households across the city.”

The mayor’s office summarized three concepts for amendments to the city’s zoning code, which sets ground rules for real estate development. One would be intended to spur economic growth, another to encourage more housing, and the last to facilitate “carbon neutral” public works such as energy storage.

Adams also spoke of broader reforms to encourage needed development, from electric-car charging stations to converting empty office space into housing, or help a restaurant expand without going through bureaucratic zoning changes.

His proposal would additionally remove the final remnants of New York City’s restrictive “cabaret law,” which limits dancing to certain authorized nightlife venues.

Members and sponsors make THE CITY possible.
“Think about the owner of a tapas bar that has live music on weekends and wants to set aside a small space for dancing, but finds that under city rules, it’s not allowed. We’re going to change that no to a yes, and let the people dance,” said Adams.

‘Zero Carbon’
Notably absent from Adams’ emailed “City of Yes” announcement was his key partner in approving any coming zoning changes: City Council Speaker Adrienne Adams. Revisions to the code must go through the city Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, or ULURP, which gives the Council a decisive vote.
Full article: https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/6/1/231...opment-council

Maybe Albany can step in here if they're truly serious about affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 4:01 PM

" We are going to turn New York into a ‘City of Yes’ — yes in my backyard, yes on my block, yes in my neighborhood,” Adams said.”

Yes yes yes bois

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Orgasmic YES !!!

It should be paired with higher architectural standards using some sort of mechanism that a developer could use to save in permitting if better materials and a higher design is pursued. This could target some of the outer boroughs worst offenders like the Bronx affordable jobs that look like mindless prisons.

The stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect after he flunked out of dental school.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:55 PM

Already proven to be a terrible Mayor and no better than his incompetent predecessor....

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

WTF are you talking about? You know you're on a pro-development forum right?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
WTF are you talking about? You know you're on a pro-development forum right?
Are you talking to me? If so, perhaps you haven't been paying attention but for someone, like myself, who actually lives here- this guy has proven to be all talk and NO ACTION! Keep believing the nonsense coming out of his mouth (which you'll know when he's lying- it's moving). BTW, who told you I was opposed to development? Exactly...NO ONE!!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 6:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

The dude's been mayor for 6 months. Isn't that a little early to make a judgment call on his worth? Why would he be pitching this idea if he didn't mean it?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Orgasmic YES !!!

It should be paired with higher architectural standards using some sort of mechanism that a developer could use to save in permitting if better materials and a higher design is pursued. This could target some of the outer boroughs worst offenders like the Bronx affordable jobs that look like mindless prisons.

The stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect after he flunked out of dental school.

Maybe a sort of thing like
"You use higher quality materials,we give you more FAR or air rights, etc"
Kinda thing. Though I could see that competing with the affordable housing (and transit) systems that do the same thing. So maybe a clause that you have to do those 2 first before you can access this.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 6:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Build baby build!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 7:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mayor Adams Outlines Vision for "City of Yes" Plan to Support Small Businesses, Create New Housing

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 11:31 PM

Help us Governor Hochul, you're our only hope.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:05 PM

Quote:
The dude's been mayor for 6 months. Isn't that a little early to make a judgment call on his worth? Why would he be pitching this idea if he didn't mean it?
Agreed, I don't see the need for such a rush to judgement. Give the man a chance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
Already proven to be a terrible Mayor and no better than his incompetent predecessor....
I still can't believe Adams won. He's basically a republican, garbage on all fronts, in bed with the cops and the real estate speculators. Worst outcome for New York.

Predecessor? You mean de Blasio? People like ripping on him but I don't see what was so bad about him. He seemed pretty progressive in terms of policy.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
. He seemed pretty progressive in terms of policy.
I think thats what a lot of people didn't like

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think thats what a lot of people didn't like
I'm not sure why. I think his supposed progressive bona fides were WAY overblown. Eric Adams isn't anymore friendly to the NYPD, so far, than deBlasio was.* After he ended stop-and-frisk he basically let the NYPD govern itself.

*Well, maybe Adams' rhetoric is more friendly but policy seems to be fairly similar six months in.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Glad the mayor is pro-development. A return to the Bloomberg era is ideal. Safer streets, and pro-business/development environment. Retaining NYC as the premier 21st Century location.

Yeah I think we have to give Adams a chance. He inherited a mess. But the city must think towards the future. To be top dog means adapting.

The city needs many more units. Housing and crime reduction are on peoples minds here.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Glad the mayor is pro-development. A return to the Bloomberg era is ideal. Safer streets, and pro-business/development environment. Retaining NYC as the premier 21st Century location.
I don't really understand what people mean by this. Have people seen Brooklyn lately? How on Earth was Deblasio not pro-development?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't really understand what people mean by this. Have people seen Brooklyn lately? How on Earth was Deblasio not pro-development?
Deblasio was pro-development. I never said he wasn't. What he was and not to turn this into a tangent was weak on crime. Essentially coddling to the criminals. That's why there is all that garbage near Penn Station and in areas that were cleaned under Bloomberg.

But... going back to the development side of things... 421a needs to be reinstated as its soon to expire... and we need to speed up the process to get a development from blueprint to rebar.

Having the mayor on a pro-development stance is always good. Anything that can limit the NIMBY presence is ideal. Those clowns in Harlem that denied the One45 now get nothing. 458 affordable units down the drain... because its not affordable enough... so the developer withdrew. That's what happens when city council members on a mission get involved.

Jersey City on a side note has a very development friendly council and mayor... and many good things are happening there!

We have a lot of good things happening, from Midtown East Rezoning to Hudson Yards Phase II and a ton of assemblages along the Bronx riverfront and along the East River. A lot can happen, and the local government on the side of developers is optimal. East NY and the potential with swaths of Queens.

If only Hochul would stop getting so involved in the Penn District and let the market build to its desires.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'm not sure why. I think his supposed progressive bona fides were WAY overblown. Eric Adams isn't anymore friendly to the NYPD, so far, than deBlasio was.* After he ended stop-and-frisk he basically let the NYPD govern itself.

*Well, maybe Adams' rhetoric is more friendly but policy seems to be fairly similar six months in.
I was more commenting on the North One being confused on why not everyone considers progressive policy an unequivocal good

But I dont know anything about NYC mayors nor do I really care lol.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well this thread was bound to get cluttered.

i mean yeah, lets pass absloute judgement on this guy 6 month in.

gimmee a break.

in the meantime, he is out there being pro development, so that is good. he has to work with council and walk it through though. that's the hard part. the vision thing is easy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions