HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:51 PM

Probably an hour a week in Ubers and taxis. Maybe a little more if I’m going out a lot. I spend more time on a bike by far.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:57 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Most of my driving is done over two days.
- In the middle of the week, drive my parents from Queens (they come by my office in south Astoria). Drive from my office to Chinatown for dinner & provisions, then drive to their condo in UES, then I drive back to Fresh Meadows. That's about 1.5 hrs.
- On Saturdays, pick up my parents from the UES. Often drive to Flushing to eat dinner, then drive back to Fresh Meadows. Along with a 10 minute drive to my other activity, that's another 1.5 hrs.

The other days, I either don't have access to a car, or barely drive for some local errands if I do. So figure around 3.5-4 hrs each week.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 9:09 PM
aka GM on SSC

Between 1 hour 40 minutes and 2 hours by day (depending on the traffic).
4 days a weeks.
36 weeks a year.

That's for my commuting, then I also drive occasionally during my days off and my holydays.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:30 AM

Maybe a couple of hours a month. In the evenings I will get to where I'm going by rarely Uber, but on the way home I'll do Uber unless the train or bus station is right on top of me basically and the tracker shows it's arriving as I arrive within a few minutes.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:23 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I would say I spend about 30 minutes a month in the car. Grocery store trips and taking the dog to Ft Funston. The only other time I am in the car is to drive to Tahoe.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 8:08 PM

15-20 minutes to go from Burlingame to Mission District/SF. About 20-25 minutes SF to Burlingame including traffic. Helps that the clusterfk of cars hits at my exit right before San Mateo, with everyone trying to get onto the bridge or down south. For comparison, it takes 45min-1hr if you take the train/bus system.

Last edited by ocman; May 24, 2022 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantais View Post
Between 1 hour 40 minutes and 2 hours by day (depending on the traffic).
4 days a weeks.
36 weeks a year.

That's for my commuting, then I also drive occasionally during my days off and my holydays.
You live in Nantes proper, right? I saw your videos about the harbor, that's in the urban area proper, isn't it? How comes you have to drive that much? You must actually work in a village in a distance from your home or something.

I have a cousin who lives around Nantes too, in a little town nearby. He drives a lot because that's his job. He's a truck driver. I doubt your job is the same... Your English is just far better than his.

I suspect we still have a problem with the transit policy in the country.
First, it is widely centralized on Paris while generously funded by the state as a whole, which may be unfair because all taxpayers in the country pay for it.
Second, we probably need more money allocated to urban mass transit nationwide.

Roads and cars are useful and even necessary in rural areas, but a majority of the people in the country must now live in urban or suburban areas somehow, whether they like it or not.
So, building more commuter rail lines should definitely be a priority in all urban areas whose population exceeds 500k.

Notice that centralization is not the fault of the liberals, eh. We are in favor of more regional powers and a more balanced distribution of public money.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Probably an hour a week in Ubers and taxis. Maybe a little more if I’m going out a lot. I spend more time on a bike by far.
We should enhance this thread with another question on how much time you spend in a plane, just to even things out a bit.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 9:25 PM
aka GM on SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
You live in Nantes proper, right? I saw your videos about the harbor, that's in the urban area proper, isn't it? How comes you have to drive that much? You must actually work in a village in a distance from your home or something.
I live in Rezé (southern suburb of Nantes), but work in Saint-Nazaire, about 70 km from my home.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 4:24 AM

About 30 minutes per day on average. Everything I do (restaurants, gym, doctors) are all within a couple of miles of where I live.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 4:33 PM

Zero (other than rare taxis). Cycling > Train > Bus in that order.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 7:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I bike to work. Many days I spend 0% of my time in the car. Weekends, I probably spend 25% of my time in the car (which really sucks), driving my kids here and there, getting groceries, visiting family, day trips, etc.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 7:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

Our car has been parked without being used for the past 1.5 weeks, so not that often! I mostly work from home, and when I go into the office I'll bike or take transit if weather is bad. When we do drive it's usually for a specific purpose, or to go to the place we bought in a small town 2.5 hrs away. The vast majority of the mileage on our car is highway driving.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions