HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:46 PM

If we can broaden this thread into appliances in rentals generally, what do you guys think of the British habit of putting a washer/dryer (for clothes) in the kitchen?

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:50 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Which, as an avid home cook, really pisses me off.

Unfortunately the cooking lobby doesn’t seem to be as strong here as others. As you might have heard the British aren’t really known for their cooking.
Are they more known for baking?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:50 PM

That's pretty odd. Underwear and linens just don't go next next to cooking.

British homes are known for being smaller than other high(er) income nations, so maybe just a space issue? Typical UK SFH probably doesn't have the space for a laundry room, or even a laundry nook/closet.

Do larger, high end UK homes not have laundry rooms?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:52 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
If we can broaden this thread into appliances in rentals generally, what do you guys think of the British habit of putting a washer/dryer (for clothes) in the kitchen?
I've seen this in a few instances in SF condos, but more so the W/D next to the kitchen rather than in it. I'm guessing it has to do with simplifying the amount of piping needed for water supply and drainage.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...80151148_zpid/

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 8:25 PM

I’ve also seen them in LA, in the kitchen and also the bathroom, but usually in highrise apartments or condos in downtown LA, and at least one highrise I visit in Long Beach.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 8:26 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Which, as an avid home cook, really pisses me off.

Unfortunately the cooking lobby doesn’t seem to be as strong here as others. As you might have heard the British aren’t really known for their cooking.
I'm mixed on the issue myself. Technically speaking, electric and induction stoves can do everything as well or better than gas stoves can. Electric can also hold lower-temp simmers better than gas stoves (which output way too much heat even at the lowest setting). And induction, of course, heats up water and food super quickly.

On the other hand, you can't get that wok hei as you alluded to with any electric stoves. Although technically speaking, no home stove can achieve restaurant-style wok hei because home burners have much less energy (anywhere from 1/8-1/4 less energy). You'd need to get a high BTU/KwH outdoor wok setup to get that true wok hei taste in your food.

As a building efficiency advocate, we are actively looking to get rid of most fossil fuel appliances in buildings (though mainly boilers, furnaces, and hot water heaters). Gas stoves are collateral damage in this pursuit, but they also aren't faultless due to the negative indoor air quality effects they have, especially in a very airtight home.

With that said, I feel like building efficiency standards (like Passivhaus) were made by people who never cooked proper food. They moved to eliminate direct kitchen hood vents, and instead advocated for recirculating hoods supplemented by a "boost" setting in the building's ventilation exhaust system. If you've ever cooked a burger or a steak and dealt with the smoke, you know how useless recirculating hoods are. I recall a pandemic virtual meeting where many building professionals, who were all advocates for high efficiency standards, slogged this design because it couldn't get rid of smoke and cooking smells quickly enough.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post

With that said, I feel like building efficiency standards (like Passivhaus) were made by people who never cooked proper food. They moved to eliminate direct kitchen hood vents, and instead advocated for recirculating hoods supplemented by a "boost" setting in the building's ventilation exhaust system. If you've ever cooked a burger or a steak and dealt with the smoke, you know how useless recirculating hoods are. I recall a pandemic virtual meeting where many building professionals, who were all advocates for high efficiency standards, slogged this design because it couldn't get rid of smoke and cooking smells quickly enough.
My place now has that problem. There is no vent over the kitchen stove. Smoke is always a huge problem.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 9:21 AM

^ Same. It’s always setting off the silent smoke alarm for the whole building. The 3rd time the landlord messaged to tell me this I just said look, it’s going to keep happening a few times per week unless you install a better extractor hood or remove the smoke detector in the kitchen, but there’s nothing I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I'm mixed on the issue myself. Technically speaking, electric and induction stoves can do everything as well or better than gas stoves can. Electric can also hold lower-temp simmers better than gas stoves (which output way too much heat even at the lowest setting). And induction, of course, heats up water and food super quickly.

On the other hand, you can't get that wok hei as you alluded to with any electric stoves. Although technically speaking, no home stove can achieve restaurant-style wok hei because home burners have much less energy (anywhere from 1/8-1/4 less energy). You'd need to get a high BTU/KwH outdoor wok setup to get that true wok hei taste in your food.

As a building efficiency advocate, we are actively looking to get rid of most fossil fuel appliances in buildings (though mainly boilers, furnaces, and hot water heaters). Gas stoves are collateral damage in this pursuit, but they also aren't faultless due to the negative indoor air quality effects they have, especially in a very airtight home.

Electric is absolute garbage. It needs time to heat up, and then it needs time to cool down, which makes it completely useless for any type of precise cooking. If you have an electric stove, and you own your place, tear it out now and at least replace it with induction.

Now between induction and gas, I would argue that gas can do everything induction can. And if you really want to quickly boil a pot of water for pasta, then get a single countertop induction hob like I’ve had for 10 years:

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/buffalo-induction-hob/ce208

Of course when I got one it was like £80 not £200 because inflation…
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 1:26 PM

I saw this photo online this morning and thought of this thread:

"September 14, 1951. 'Tillett residence at 170 E. 80th Street, New York City. Dining table.' The minimalist townhouse kitchen of textile designers D.D. and Leslie Tillett. 4x5 inch acetate negative by Gottscho-Schleisner."

Link: https://www.shorpy.com/node/26637

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:51 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think for Americans living in detached single family dwellings the removal of gas stoves would be no big deal since backyard grills exist. I don’t think those would be targeted by regulators since they are a niche recreational item that probably contributes a negligible amount of CO2 to the atmosphere.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:

It always looks weird to me. Is it just a British thing? I thought I saw this on the continent before too.

A lot of American homes tend to have the laundry room next to the kitchen. But I've never seen a washer in an actual kitchen.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 6:01 PM

Is Britain one of those countries where people just have a washer, not a dryer? I’m as environmentally friendly as the next guy, but I don’t know how you can hang and expect clothes to dry in a reasonable time in a damp climate like England’s.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Is Britain one of those countries where people just have a washer, not a dryer? I’m as environmentally friendly as the next guy, but I don’t know how you can hang and expect clothes to dry in a reasonable time in a damp climate like England’s.
They are a combination of both washer and dryer it wash and drys the clothes in the same unit. At least the ones I’ve seen in apartments here in LA.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
True, though "uni" for university never caught on in the US AFAIK. That term is not really that big in Canada either, unlike other Commonwealth countries.

But maybe it's because you guys say "college" (cawl-idge) for university anyway!
Okay so, I kinda wish I would have never read this little post of yours. Now every time I hear somebody say the word “college,” I’m reminded of it. What other way is there to pronounce the word “college?” How would you pronounce it? I’m curious.

As for “university,” (in case you’re wondering), no, Americans never say “uni.” Also, in the US, a university is a physical place where one can physically be - like you can physically be on the campus of a university, but if you’re in the state of attending one, you’re “in college,” not “in university.” Same thing with hospitals. A hospital is a physical place - like a building with nurses and doctors in it. You can be in a hospital, but not “in hospital” - like as if hospital is a state of being.

Edit: Another way of looking at it is: a university is an institution. One can be in an institution, but one cannot be in institution.

Last edited by Sam Hill; May 22, 2022 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
They are a combination of both washer and dryer it wash and drys the clothes in the same unit. At least the ones I’ve seen in apartments here in LA.
Yeah, I've heard this referred as a "Euro Washer/Dryer." It's typically found in places where the only available water line is in the kitchen.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I think for Americans living in detached single family dwellings the removal of gas stoves would be no big deal since backyard grills exist. I don’t think those would be targeted by regulators since they are a niche recreational item that probably contributes a negligible amount of CO2 to the atmosphere.
Gas ranges in kitchens contribute negligible CO2 to the atmosphere.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Yes and they’re terrible. It takes like 4 hours to complete the cycle and you can’t open the door early so you better set the drying time right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Correct, you cannot dry clothes outside here. When we lived briefly in Milan we had a top floor terrace with a laundry rack, and that was quicker than any machine dryer I’ve ever used.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:26 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
How much CO2 do gas ranges contribute to the atmosphere?

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It always looks weird to me. Is it just a British thing? I thought I saw this on the continent before too.

A lot of American homes tend to have the laundry room next to the kitchen. But I've never seen a washer in an actual kitchen.
Makes more sense than putting them in the garage which is a common US thing. The garage floor is usually dirty and when you pull stuff out, if you drop it, it hits that dirty floor. Mine are in closets built to house them thank goodness.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Which is not the point. Gas wells contribute methane which is a worse greenhouse gas by far than CO2. The idea is to replace use of oil and gas wherever it’s easiest so as to be able to reduce its production where a lot of the damage is actually done. Some uses of these fuels are hard to replace like aviation fuel but cooking and home heating fuel is easy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions