HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 10:28 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I got this lot for cheap and it won't cost me much to keep it for five or even ten years. I know people who have gotten rich holding vacant lots. Nobody wants anything to do with them - in the Midwest they usually sell for well under $10,000 - then all of the sudden they're selling for $100k. The switch happens in a matter of months.

In areas likely to gentrify, it's like buying a tear-down, except somebody else paid to tear down the house 20-30 years ago.
Yeah, not a bad idea if you dont need the money...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Bad timing, but my tenant in my lone investment property just told me she's not gonna renew in September (not shocking as I was aware that her relationship with her new boyfriend was getting ever more serious).

Now I have to decide if I should just get out NOW while prices are still OK-ish, or just get another tenant lined up it for September.
Rent it out again. Ask $200/month more than you think you can get and you'll still have 3 applications in 48 hours. At least that's been my experience in the past 2 months here in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Noticing across various metros price declines. Just an example as folks are sitting on their homes and the waiting game is elongated in terms of buyers.

Was checking the Denver area and its still overinflated. A POS goes more than this below.

With interest rates rising, maybe it will add a much need correction to this over inflated RE Market.

I still can't fathom that the tri-state still offers more bang for the buck than those Western Areas and even close to NYC with its powerhouse nature with respect to high paying jobs.

I was checking Sierra Ridge, CO, and its about 23-24 miles from the Denver CBD. You have 1700-2100 sq-ft homes with .15 acres going for 750k. And they are not even pretty homes either. Right on the edge of the sprawl. Asinine.

We need more multi-unit developments. While I'm not a total fan of sprawl, if places are gonna sprawl, better to do it with mid-density condo/apartment developments (4-5 story in nature, 200-350 units at a clip).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:50 PM

Bob Saget's house is for sale...

From NBC4 Los Angeles:

Bob Saget's Greenery-Rich LA Home is Now on the Market for $7.7M

Everywhere you look in Bob Saget's Los Angeles home, greenery and sunlight peek through the windows.

By Maggie More • Published June 13, 2022 • Updated on June 14, 2022 at 4:37 am

Jeff Ong/PostRAIN Productions

Everywhere you look in the Los Angeles home that belonged to Bob Saget, greenery and sunlight peek through the windows.

It's a warm, welcoming house, fitting for a comedian and actor who by many accounts from friends and family was also warm, welcoming and kind.

For almost 20 years, the late comedian lived in the Brentwood property at 1016 North Bundy Drive. Now the home he shared with this second wife Kelly Rizzo is on the market, following the "Full House" star's death in early January.

The six-bedroom, 6,608-square-foot home rests on roughly 0.3 acre grounds, and comes with an included guest house, the LA Times first reported. Built in 1964, mid-century flair shines through in details like clean, straight lines and natural wood trim.

It's the first time the house has hit the market since Saget purchased the home in 2003. The estate has an asking price of $7.765 million.

"A private, gated, architectural warm modern home by renowned Douglas Busch Design features a grand motor court, three car garage, pool, spa, barbecue entertainment area and smart home controls," Compass realty's Vanessa Villatoro said in a description of the home provided to NBC4.

Clink the link for the rest of the article and more pics: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...-7-7m/2915048/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:57 PM

From ShowMeHome.com

$1,175,000
BEDROOMS: 2
BATHROOMS: 3
Sq. Ft.: 1285
FLOORS: 3

940 E 2nd St #21
Los Angeles,CA 90012

In the heart of the vibrant Arts District, 940 E 2nd Street #21 is an elegant light-filled loft offering stylish urban living in one of Downtown LA’s trendiest neighborhoods. The location is within easy walking distance to restaurants, craft breweries, coffee shops and grocery stores, yet feels secluded from the hustle and bustle of the city. Inside, you’ll find a blend of original and modern architectural elements. With exposed brick, multiple skylights, and vaulted ceilings, this three-level dwelling offers an open floor plan with defined spaces that one doesn’t always find in a loft.

The ground floor plan is flexible and can be used as an office space or bedroom. It has concrete floors, a full bathroom with shower, roomy closet, and access to an inside parking garage and the gated front entrance. As you head up the stairs to the second floor, you’re greeted by a versatile, light-filled space that combines the kitchen, dining room, and living room. The exposed brick of the original building, which used to be a sugar beet warehouse, provides a compelling visual backdrop for this floor. The galley-style kitchen features a large farmhouse sink, a dishwasher, gas stove, and stainless steel appliances. On this floor, you’ll also find a convenient half-bath, storage and laminate wood flooring. On the third floor, the master bedroom space is flooded with natural light from skylights and doors that open to a private patio that’s perfect for reading with a cup of coffee or enjoying a glass of wine. There is a full bathroom with tub, a large walk-in closet with added shelving, carpeted floors, and a laundry closet.

Parking here won’t be a problem with the two designated parking spots and additional guest parking, a rarity in the area. The Arts District, filled with public art and murals, is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in Downtown LA. This loft is just a few steps from the award-winning Hauser Wirth galley, Angel City Brewery, Father’s Office, organic grocer Grow, and award-winning restaurants including Bavel, and Girl & The Goat. Here, you’ll find all you need for the live/work lifestyle you’ve been waiting for.

Link to listing and more photos: https://showmehome.com/940-e-2nd-st-...OkxTu5wvZb9KQI

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:55 PM

From Forbes:

MatchesFashion.com Co-Founders List Their Stylish 1960s Los Angeles Home For $42 Million

Emma Reynolds
Jun 28, 2022,06:55pm EDT

It was in 1987 when husband-and-wife duo Tom and Ruth Chapman founded MatchesFashion. Back then, however, it was a friendly neighborhood store in the posh London suburb of Wimbledon. Their business, eventually renamed MatchesFashion.com, was one of the first multi-brand luxury retailers to enter into the e-commerce space. That paid off—in 2017 the couple sold their company for roughly $535 million to private investors (Apax Partners), and the brand has continued to expand and evolve since.

The home underwent a four-year renovation. NILS TIMM

The sale of their company has put them in the ranks of some of the wealthiest fashion entrepreneurs. It seems, though, that they’re not just business-savvy when it comes to fashion. They’ve amassed quite an impressive real estate portfolio, which includes a Los Angeles home in Trousdale Estates. They purchased this home on Trousdale Place for $24 million in 2017 and are now selling for $42 million after an extensive, four-year renovation.

There are very high ceilings throughout, including the foyer. NILS TIMM

Trousdale Estates is one of Beverly Hills most coveted communities, attracting global billionaires and rich tech entrepreneurs for its privacy and sleek mega-mansions with incredible views of Los Angeles. This property is no exception. For the renovation, the couple enlisted Los Angeles-based designer Pamela Shamshiri of Studio Shamshiri to completely reimagine the home, which was first built in 1962.

The opulent reception area. NILS TIMM

Inspired by a European Riviera retreat, contemporary elements pair with 1960s-style architectural elements. The entire home boasts high ceilings, flowing natural light, beautiful materials, and exquisite craftsmanship.

Pamela Shamshiri is responsible for the stunning design. NILS TIMM

The gated 6,230-square-foot home sits on just under a half-acre of land and has five bedrooms, six bathrooms, a formal dining area, study, reception room, guest quarters, media room, motor court, and three-car garage. There’s also a detached pool house that can be easily used as a guest house, as well as a grand primary suite with its very own poolside veranda.

Nearly every room opens to the outdoors. NILS TIMM

The kitchen was also included in the renovation. NILS TIMM

Link for the rest of the article and more pictures:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmarey...h=7a6d96003b96

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:34 PM

Smallest in Latin America, 10 m² apartament in São Paulo costs R$ 200,000

It's in Downtown São Paulo, 108 sq ft and US$ 40,000. Five years ago, they were all sold by R$ 99,000. Investors made a good money: Downtown SP is probably the hottest market right now and prices are getting closer and closer to the most expensive districts.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Around Austin it isn't noise from Harleys that is most upsetting. There are all kinds of Japanese and Asian street bikes with very loud exhaust systems. I don't know whether the exhaust systems are off the shelf or modified, but I constantly fantasize about grisly motorcycle death scenes for the owners. There are also a very large number of cars and trucks with very loud exhaust set-ups designed to engender rage from old geezers like me.
You're right about the noise. You can't get away from it here. There's a 60s neighborhood in the hills just west of the Mopac tollway and off of 2222. Residents can no longer sit outside in the evenings due to the incredible noise from these exhaust systems. They're having trouble selling properties in the area because of this as well. This has been in the media but there's been no interest from the city of law enforcement to address it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:56 AM

I don't know if this has been posted here, but Austin is finally undergoing a real estate price correction. It's not a bubble burst, but inventory is much higher, and homes are staying on the market a lot longer. It's ridiculous that people have been paying astronomical prices for garbage properties around here. And the nice ones, of which there are a great number, have been affordable only to the very wealthy.

The house across the street from me, built in 1963 and never updated at all, was put on the market in late March for $1M even. But that was exactly when things started to slow down. There was a lot of traffic for a few weeks and then it tapered off to nothing because the owners were unwilling to make a substantial price reduction. My own realtor told me that the only thing selling in the city is new properties replacing tear downs (on beautiful lots), new condos (midrise and highrise), and older homes that have been updated. The others can probably sell if asking prices go way, way down.

Many flippers here bought at the top of the curve and got caught.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:36 PM

I closed on house #2 last December with a 30-year 3.125% mortgage.

Incredibly, we could see 7%+ rates by this December.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:49 PM

Our new home has 5.25% rate on 30 year, as I had to lock in a few weeks ago, on a day of major turmoil.

I thought, oh well, I could refi in a year or two. Now not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 8:01 PM

Wait a minute, ~3% locked for thirty years?!? Wow

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I closed on house #2 last December with a 30-year 3.125% mortgage.

Incredibly, we could see 7%+ rates by this December.
I have my São Paulo one locked at 6.2%/year, for 15 years. Brazilian bonds are paying now 14%/year or inflation plus +4%, 5%, 6% depending on the length. Londrina is at 8.8% and was originally 30 years long but I was paying down when Brazilian rates fell to 2% and now there is only 9-10 years ahead.

Right now my financial assets are paying twice as much as I’m paying on interests and they worth as much as the apartments, so it’s a comfortable position right now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:48 PM

From Pasadena Now (Weekendr)

PASADENA RENTAL MARKET GROWS HOTTER:
27 renters vie for each empty apartment in Pasadena and environs, says national study

By EDDIE RIVERA, Weekendr Editor

PUBLISHED ON JUL 13, 2022

There are 27 renters vying for every vacant apartment in Eastern Los Angeles County, including Pasadena. This, according to a recent study by rentcafe.com, makes the area the 20th most sought-after rental market in the entire country, and one of the most competitive ones in California.

For purposes of their study, rentcafe defined Eastern Los Angeles County as Pasadena, Long Beach, Los Angeles, West Covina, Pomona, Rowland Heights, El Monte and Downey.

The study looked at the number of renters competing for an apartment, the number of days rentals were vacant, the percentage of new apartments built, and then the share of renters that renewed their leases and occupancy rates.

The 27 competing renters for every apartment is the second highest in the nation, following Miami with 30 prospective renters. The nationwide average is 14 prospective renters.

At the same time, in a startling demonstration of the power of new housing, only 16 renters were competing for the same apartment in Western Los Angeles, thanks to a 1.3% growth in new apartments delivered at the beginning of this year.

In Eastern LA County, the share of new apartments completed in 2022 makes up only 0.7% of the entire available stock—the exact same as the national average.

Apartments that became vacant in the first part of the year in Eastern LA County were filled within a little over 35 days. By comparison, the average U.S. apartment that became vacant was filled within 35 days in the first part of 2022. Eastern LA also holds one of the top occupancy rates in Southern California— as high as 98%.

As finding a new apartment proves more and more difficult, more than 40 percent of East Los Angeles County renters opted to renew their leases rather than move into a new apartment or become homeowners.

The figure is far below the national average of 62%, according to the study.

On a national level, U.S. apartments that became vacant were filled within 35 days on average in the first part of 2022, with 14 renters competing for one apartment to secure a lease.

In addition, 95.5% of rentals were occupied during the same time period, especially as almost two-thirds of renters opted to renew their leases rather than move into a new apartment or become homeowners.

Currently, the average rental rate for an apartment in Pasadena is $2912 monthly for an 859 square-foot apartment.

Link: https://www.pasadenanow.com/weekendr...-grows-hotter/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Here's house #1 (refinanced in 2020 and now being rented):

House #2, where I now live, from 7 months ago:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 10:12 PM

From Dirt:

The Killers’ Mark Stoermer Flips Historic Manor to ‘This Is Us’ Showrunner

By Wendy Bowman
July 8, 2022 10:45 am PT

$4.9 million
5,040 square feet, 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
Year built: 1927

Mr. Brightside has already left the premises! Less than a year ago, professional rockstar Mark Stoermer plunked down millions to buy a striking 1920s mansion in L.A.’s historic Los Feliz neighborhood, but records now show The Killers’ longtime bass guitarist has already sold the eclectic abode in an off-market deal.

The Spanish Revival villa’s lucky new owner is Isaac Aptaker — with Elizabeth Berger, he’s the Emmy-nominated writing and producing duo best known for helming the proverbial ship on “This is Us,” “Love, Victor” and “How I Met Your Father” — who doled out just over $4.9 million for the place, about $250,000 more than Stoermer paid for it last summer.

Commissioned by William Silverman, and locally known as the Silverman Residence, the pastel green-hued and turreted structure was designed by architect Theodore J. Scott and built in 1927. Inside, six bedrooms and five baths are spread across more than 5,000 square feet of living space, and there’s also a detached guesthouse.

Especially standing out on the main level is a double-height entry sporting a dramatic coffered ceiling accented by hand-painted beams and panels, along with a sunken living room displaying inlaid hardwood floors, a massive Italianate fireplace and lofted minstrel’s gallery adorned with the original stained-glass windows.

Other highlights include an updated kitchen outfitted with high-end Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances, a butler’s pantry and breakfast nook, plus a mahogany-walled library that leads to the outdoors and a spacious formal dining room surrounded by wood-framed windows.

A curving wrought-iron staircase heads upstairs, where a sun-drenched master retreat comes complete with French doors spilling out to a balcony overlooking views of the Griffith Observatory and Downtown L.A. skyline. Outdoors, the lushly landscaped grounds span more than a third-acre of land, and host a lengthy rectangular pool and spa flanked by a travertine-clad sun deck.

Stoermer is no stranger to buying, revamping and flipping historic homes, though he’s long been primarily based in the San Francisco area. Back in 2009, he reportedly purchased an 1885 Victorian in Haight-Ashbury and subsequently transformed the decoratively ordinary house into a goth fantasy brimming with red velvet, black paint and skeleton artwork before flipping it in 2014 for $2.4 million. The following year, the Houston native forked out $3.4 million for another vibrant Victorian in the Lower Haight district that he flipped less than a year later.

As for Aptaker, he and Berger re-upped a three-year overall deal with their longtime studio 20th Television earlier this year. Now expanding into feature films, they recently wrote and produced “I Want You Back” for Prime Video.

Photo: Angeleno Living

Link: https://www.dirt.com/gallery/enterta...fQN2BVGJiIveWE

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 9:05 PM

I went down to mow the lot yesterday...the not-working car disappeared in June after my back-and-forth with its owner, but now somebody threw a bumper on it:

Nearby I spotted the origin of the bumper:

Sure enough, the instant I took this photo, the owner of the original car (the one that sat on my lot for years) made her presence known (apparently she had watched me mow the lot) by screaming full-blast at me. No introductions, just full-throttle yelling. Like the previous showdown, she refused to come outside or even show her face in a window. I'm just dealing with some drug-fueled voice. Once again I ignored her baiting and just drove away.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:09 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm at 3.125% too for my condo (October 2020).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 10:49 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Most expensive house currently for sale in Greenville County, SC, listed at $3,750,000:

10 Night Hawk Way, Landrum, SC

Most interesting historic house currently for sale in Greenville County, built in 1927 and listed at $3,375,000:

2 W Hillcrest Drive, Greenville, SC

Most interesting contemporary house currently for sale in Greenville County, listed at $2,500,000:

148 Freeman Bridge Rd, Marietta, SC

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 10:57 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Most expensive house currently for sale in Buncombe County, NC, built in 1923 and listed at $8,750,000:

7 Stuyvesant Rd, Asheville, NC

Most interesting contemporary house built in a traditional style in Buncombe County, NC, listed at $6,750,000:

6 Brooklawn Chas, Asheville, NC

Most interesting contemporary house currently for sale in Buncombe County, NC, listed at $2,995,000:

661 Elk Mountain Scenic Hwy, Ashevile, NC

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Jul 26, 2022 at 12:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions