HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

At a minimum, colorado's state flag is light years better than all the dumb, boring "seal on field" state flags out there because it's at least an actual flag design.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Nonsense. The Bear Flag revolt and its breakaway "California Republic" lasted only a month, but it erupted simultaneously with the larger Mexican-American war, with covert support from the US military, and hastened the official end of Mexican control over Alta California. The revolt began modern-day California's transition to US control, a fait accompli just six months later.
Meow, lol. Okay, fantasy was the wrong word but, similar to the spirit of Texas flag hugging, the words on California's flag either refers to a glorified period in history when the territory was briefly a sovereign nation, or to an aspiration for the future in which the territory becomes a sovereign nation. In either case, it's not really clear whether the flag embracing is nostalgia or a threat.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:06 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Meow, lol. Okay, fantasy was the wrong word but, similar to the spirit of Texas flag hugging, the words on California's flag either refers to a glorified period in history when the territory was briefly a sovereign nation, or to an aspiration for the future in which the territory becomes a sovereign nation. In either case, it's not really clear whether the flag embracing is nostalgia or a threat.
Meanwhile in reality, it is neither of those things. The Bear Flag symbolizes and memorializes this region's armed rebellion against neglectful Mexican rule and the transition into an integral part of the United States.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Nonsense. The Bear Flag revolt and its breakaway "California Republic" lasted only a month, but it erupted simultaneously with the larger Mexican-American war, with covert support from the US military, and hastened the official end of Mexican control over Alta California. The revolt began modern-day California's transition to US control, a fait accompli just six months later.
If California succeeded, they would have had the lamest name ever...the Bear Flag Republic? Can you imagine the songs? Bear Flag Republic Girls, Hotel Bear Flag Republic? Dani Bear Flag Republic?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:17 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
If California succeeded, they would have had the lamest name ever...the Bear Flag Republic? Can you imagine the songs? Bear Flag Republic Girls, Hotel Bear Flag Republic? Dani Bear Flag Republic?
The revolutionary movement was called the Bear Flag Rebellion and they named their territory the California Republic--and let me tell you, there are a zillion "Bear Flag such-and-such" businesses--I can think of three breweries off the top of my head.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The revolutionary movement was called the Bear Flag Rebellion and they named their territory the California Republic--and let me tell you, there are a zillion "Bear Flag such-and-such" businesses--I can think of three breweries off the top of my head.
The flag is pretty damn cool. It's the only one with writing that looks iconic. I have a pair of CA flag socks.

Last edited by JManc; Apr 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
At a minimum, colorado's state flag is light years better than all the dumb, boring "seal on field" state flags out there because it's at least an actual flag design.
Agreed, it's kind of ugly, but it's simple and memorable, which is why it's used on so much CO memorabilia.

I'd say the states that fly their flags the most frequently are in order:

New Mexico
Colorado
California
Arizona

New Mexico is far and away #1. Yeah, that's based on anecdotal experience, but I'm so sure of it I'll state it anyway A very high percentage of NM residents have a zia tattoo.

Essentially every other state excepting the four above have forgettable state flags. Texas' flag is used a lot, but only because there's so much state pride - the others are a combo of state pride + decent or good design.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:22 PM

The only state flags I recognize on sight are TX, CA and AZ.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Agreed, it's kind of ugly, but it's simple and memorable, which is why it's used on so much CO memorabilia.

I'd say the states that fly their flags the most frequently are in order:

New Mexico
Colorado
California
Arizona

New Mexico is far and away #1. Yeah, that's based on anecdotal experience, but I'm so sure of it I'll state it anyway A very high percentage of NM residents have a zia tattoo.

Essentially every other state excepting the four above have forgettable state flags. Texas' flag is used a lot, but only because there's so much state pride - the others are a combo of state pride + decent or good design.
No state flies their flag more than Texas, state pride or not, though those four states you mentioned have iconic flags (I have flag socks from all four )

Last edited by JManc; Apr 7, 2021 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
The only state flags I recognize on sight are TX, CA and AZ.
Well, then you have never spent time in New Mexico!

The flag is also the license plate, and because it's a symbol - the Zia symbol, from the zia symbol, it's far more prevalent than any other state flag on everything from coffee mugs to business logos to everything in between.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:32 PM

Are there any other states that fly alternate or older versions of the state flag? I think the original bear flag looks pretty cool:

https://goo.gl/maps/7FjNCMHbK9txjFwh6

Then there's this guy:

monarch the bear by Payton Chung, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Well, then you have never spent time in New Mexico!

The flag is also the license plate, and because it's a symbol - the Zia symbol, from the zia symbol, it's far more prevalent than any other state flag on everything from coffee mugs to business logos to everything in between.
I know of it, but I bet most people outside of New Mexico, if they saw the flag, would think it was just some generic southwestern motif, and not a state flag. It's not on the level of the others I mentioned, at least in terms of how recognizable it is.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:42 PM

We need a thread on best flags and license plates.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:07 AM
E pluribus unum

I don't know if Arizona's is all that recognizable outside of the states it borders? I think it's unique, but east of Colorado you'll probably get a "wtf" look from most people.

And then there's whatever the hell is Ohio's...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 2:37 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Ok, Arkansas is the worst right? Or maybe Kansas? Cool that Oregon's flag has two sides...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:05 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ thanks for that!

State flags that don't outright suck at being flags:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Hawaii
Maryland
New Mexico
Ohio
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas

Close to acceptable, but still tarnished with stupid text:

Arkansas
California
Indiana
Rhode Island

The rest are all mindless "seal on field" hot garbage, design-wise.

Generally speaking, america sucks at flags.

Except our national flag, which is actually quite a strong design.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:07 AM
E pluribus unum

I kind of like Wyoming's. Just paste the seal in the middle of a fucking bison...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Mississippi had a chance to get a good flag recently, after coming to the realization 150 years too late that the confederate flag is inappropriate. But they blew it.'

And what is up with the hideous shades of blue that so many states choose as a background... looks like a shitty 80's education TV show background.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:13 AM
Space Magi

Utah's is terrible and there is an active effort in the legislature right now to change it to be cool and t-shirt-worthy like Colorado's. Here's the basic design from their most recent proposal, although there are a million variants on the website:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:15 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

And lest the Canadians get too cocky, I present this:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions