The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Video Link

Lagos with 88.3 million (2100). OMG

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
i was talking about this yesterday, if we want more people in the us then we could build a road from south america to north america and a road from russia to america. then build some new cities in western america, there is water and sun for solar panels. just not many people.
The Pan-American Highway exists.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
(...)

Lagos with 88.3 million (2100). OMG
2100 is way too far for projection.

For 2050, it's very easy to make an accurate forecast and Nigeria will reach 400 million, therefore a 50 million people in Lagos is to be expected. I may be prejudiced, but I can't imagine a sub-saharan city this big working. Their infrastructure is almost non-existant and 30 years is just round the corner.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 6:52 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Except for the Darien Gap, which will likely never be completed.

For now, if you want to drive from Alaska to Argentina, you'll need to transport your vehicle via plane or boat across the gap.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 9:44 PM

Those were some neat graphs MolsenExport!!

Few interesting things that stand out...

Early 1940's: Berlin population (obviously) craters but Tokyo only slows down after being virtually wiped off the map?? It just erupts after WWII though.

NYC gained over 4 million people in only 30 years from the turn of the century to the Great Depression
Lol at LA sputtering after 90's but then popping back up briefly in the top 20 again in about 20 years from now.

Delhi in a few years is going to be gaining 1m people a year... sheez

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Except for the Darien Gap, which will likely never be completed.

For now, if you want to drive from Alaska to Argentina, you'll need to transport your vehicle via plane or boat across the gap.
Yeah, I'm aware but that's just a 50 mile break in the road network. It's not even as wide as the English Channel.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
And why on Earth a person would leave Argentina to move to the US in a month road trip when planes are so easily available?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:57 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Interesting that by 1886 America (113 million) surpassed Africa (112 million) in population; largely due to the rise of the United States. It took another 112 years till 1998 before America would top Europe; this time largely due to the rise of Brazil and Mexico. Just 4 years later in 2002, Africa moves into 2nd bumping America to 3rd and Europe to 4th. America hits 1 billion people in 2017!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:15 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
And why on Earth a person would leave Argentina to move to the US in a month road trip when planes are so easily available?
I guess not everyone understands the appeal of a road trip. Sometimes the voyage itself is more interesting than the destination.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Interesting that by 1886 America (113 million) surpassed Africa (112 million) in population; largely due to the rise of the United States. It took another 112 years till 1998 before America would top Europe; this time largely due to the rise of Brazil and Mexico. Just 4 years later in 2002, Africa moves into 2nd bumping America to 3rd and Europe to 4th. America hits 1 billion people in 2017!
Who in the Anglo-sphere, to which you belong, conceives of North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America?" No one, that's who. Why? Because for normal, modern, everyday English-speakers--be it from the UK, US, NZ, Australia, Canada, Ireland or any other Anglophone country I may be leaving out--it doesn't exist.

The US, aka America, and Mexico are part of the continent of North America and Brazil is part the continent of South America. The United States might be *of* America but it's not *in* "America" because there's no continent by that name in standard, contemporary English without "North" or "South" preceding it.

So, are you making a political statement or are you just being annoyingly pretentious?

Last edited by Elkhanan1; Feb 11, 2021 at 8:54 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I guess not everyone understands the appeal of a road trip. Sometimes the voyage itself is more interesting than the destination.
No, I understand. You can see landscapes, all the stuff. He meant people would take a road trip to migrate en masse from Argentina to the US.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:16 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
Who in the Anglo-sphere, to which you belong, conceives of North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America?" No one, that's who. Why? Because for normal, modern, everyday English-speakers--be it from the UK, US, NZ, Australia, Canada, Ireland or any other Anglophone country I may be leaving out--it doesn't exist.

The US, aka America, and Mexico are part of the continent of North America and Brazil is part the continent of South America. The United States might be *of* America but it's not *in* "America" because there's no continent by that name in standard, contemporary English without "North" or "South" preceding it.

So, are you making a political statement or are you just being annoyingly pretentious?
The video clearly has the continents listed to the side as Asia, Europe, America, Africa. And you should do a little digging before mouthing off because you're flat out wrong.

I was educated in the UK before moving to Canada. We were taught the historical meaning of the word 'America'. The term has historically always referred to the New World. it was all 'America' back then and England had more colonies in America besides the 13 that revolted against the Crown. That is what we were taught in school. In fact, it was only after the War of 1812 that people in Upper Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick stopped referring to themselves as Americans. They did this to differentiate themselves from the people they were at war with. It's how the term 'Canadian' came into widespread usage.

Even today, the western hemisphere's inter-governmental body is called the OAS: Organization of American States. The biggest soccer team in Mexico is called 'Club America' and their biggest mobile firm is 'America Movil'. I guarantee you that its not in reference to the United States. The US, unfortunately, started referring to their country as 'America' to the exclusion of the other 34 countries in America. It's akin to Spain calling their country 'Europe'. The reality is that we're now stuck with it. 'America' still means what it's always meant but it also means the United States. Which meaning is determined by context. Personally, I'm governed by my education NOT what your average Joe Blow does or thinks. That's the opposite of being pretentious.

It's true that in much of the anglophone world 'America' usually means the US but it's not absolute like you're attempting to portray. It's also true that there's a generational split. Due to the influence of the US, usage in the anglophone world to mean the US has become more prevalent over the last few decades. That said, it's still an ambiguous term in the anglophone world even if it's not in the US and much of Canada. I never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US but I'm not about to lambaste someone who does.

This topic has come up a few times on trips to the UK. When I ask the response is always the same: usually we mean the US but sometimes we mean the New World. I'm not trying to make a political statement. I'm not trying to be pretentious/fit in either. I had the luxury of a very good education and fortunate enough to be well traveled. Am I supposed to dumb myself down to avoid potentially upsetting someone? On the contrary, you're being arrogant (and rather provincial) to suggest that YOUR understanding of the word is the only one that matters.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 12:58 AM

Oh, you never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US. I see. So, what do you call US citizens? United-Statesians?

Give me a break.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Gringos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Gringos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:10 AM
Never Dell

The US was very clearly named as being IN America. We're states that are united, which are located in America.

"America" was the collective name for the new world long before the US was established. It's still fine to use it that way.

Here's more about that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The US was very clearly named as being IN America. We're states that are united, which are located in America.

"America" was the collective name for the new world long before the US was established. It's still fine to use it that way.

Here's more about that.
In everyday speech for the last half-century at least, and on SkyscraperPage.com in 2021, English-speakers, wherever they're from, would never refer to North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America" unless they were making a political statement or were being pretentious or both (ie, "I never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US"). isaidso claiming otherwise is disingenuous at best.

The US is in North America and Brazil is in South America. However, they're both in the Americas, plural, and in the Western Hemisphere, along with Mexico and a bunch of other countries. I'll give you that. Lol

More pretentiousness to prove my point:

"Personally, I'm governed by my education NOT what your average Joe Blow does or thinks."
"I had the luxury of a very good education and fortunate enough to be well traveled. Am I supposed to dumb myself down..."
"On the contrary, you're being arrogant (and rather provincial)..."

Seriously?

Last edited by Elkhanan1; Feb 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Makes me wonder at what point, Africa will slow down with its growth, people wise.

I'd imagine once some places reach say the level of Europe (some African countries in terms of GDP), the notion of having 5-6+ kids won't be as common). Not sure when that may be... but Africa will lead the rankings in the future the rate its going.

India I'd imagine will see a slow down eventually, stabilizing like China, and than a decline.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
In everyday speech for the last half-century at least, and on SkyscraperPage.com in 2021, English-speakers, wherever they're from, would never refer to North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America" unless they were making a political statement or were being pretentious or both (ie, "I never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US"). isaidso claiming otherwise is disingenuous at best.

The US is in North America and Brazil is in South America. However, they're both in the Americas, plural, and in the Western Hemisphere, along with Mexico and a bunch of other countries. I'll give you that. Lol

More pretentiousness to prove my point:

"Personally, I'm governed by my education NOT what your average Joe Blow does or thinks."
"I had the luxury of a very good education and fortunate enough to be well traveled. Am I supposed to dumb myself down..."
"On the contrary, you're being arrogant (and rather provincial)..."

Seriously?
He just made an observation of a graph. I don't understand the point of your tantrum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions