HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Saw this 1921 map today at the current exhibit at the Newberry Library

They took some real liberties with geographical accuracy there!

I thought the Canadian side was pretty wonky, with gigantic navigable rivers that don't exist, and then I looked down and saw the shape of New Jersey.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 3:50 AM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Similar to Georgian Bay then. Deep channels throwing up cold water. Makes sense why the south ends of Huron and Michigan are the best for swimming.
Truth the only reliable spots are the south ends the lakes are very temperamental especially areas with great depth on the windward side. By August there’s been been enough circulation and that the deeper depths warm to the point that you don’t have such crazy variables except of course in certain geographic locations.

Anyone who’s interested can get a real-time check on the temps and a few day forecast. It’s interesting to watch when a storm front bring cold water boiling up from depths Georgian Bay and the east coast of the Door Peninsula can go from the 70s to 50s or 60s to 40s in an afternoon.

I use the interactive maps from NOAA to plan when and where I go swim I highly recommend it. It’s been recently upgraded as well this is what you used to get couple years ago. * It’s got a forecast model too that tends to be pretty spot on

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 2:32 PM

found the link to that - really interesting. The heat wave hanging over the great lakes right now is rapidly warming the lakes making for some fairly interesting animations with relatively rapid temperature changes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:18 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Yeah I’m really digging the new animation last year it had a +- 96 hour by hour set of stills. It’s wild just how expansive the heat dome was It was only 3 degrees cooler in Marquette than Detroit at 94 and 97.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/heat-dome...123523797.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 10:27 PM

My backyard thermostat was reading 97 degrees f today in Hamilton, so yea.. hot as hell for up here in June.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
My backyard thermostat was reading 97 degrees f today in Hamilton, so yea.. hot as hell for up here in June.
It was interesting that Buffalo was under a Heat Advisory today, but temperatures in my part of the city peaked at only 82 degrees, and it was sunny and very pleasant all day up until the late afternoon thunderstorm passed through. I was unaware of how high the regional temperatures were until I started tracking the thunderstorm, and I was surprised to see 90s in all directions outside of the city. Usually the cooler air stays downtown but it was cool all the way into North Buffalo. Gotta love the Lake Erie microclimate in summer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

My last installment of boatnerdery from Mackinac, I promise (we leave tomorrow morning )

The 4th cruise ship of the week arrived this morning, Ocean Voyager.

Walter J. McCarthy came back through the straits yesterday afternoon.

And today's thousand footer double feature was American Spirit this morning and Edwin H. Gott in the afternoon.

And finally, a bonus shot of Mighty Mac because it's the most spectacular bridge in the great lakes region.

So long Mackinac, until next summer...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:10 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
My last installment of boatnerdery from Mackinac, I promise (we leave tomorrow morning )
No need to apologize. We love pictures of boats and bridges!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:56 PM
somewhere in-between

Steely, while you were in my home state, I was in yours. We spent the week of June 20 in Chicago. Had a great time there - but I figured there's enough Chicago pics on this forum and no one needs to see more (read: I'm too lazy / busy to format & post them). Enjoyed yours though! Anyway, another update on the Mark W. Barker -

Quote:
Modern laker Mark W. Barker begins sea trials
Nick Blenkey | Marine Log - Inland, News, Shipyard News
July 11, 2022

The Interlake Steamship Company has released photographs of its new 639-foot River class self-unloading bulker on initial sea [t]rials (sic). Named for Interlake Steamship’s president, the vessel, the M/V Mark W. Barker, has been built by Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding. The ship is believed to be the first ship for U.S. Great Lakes service built on the Great Lakes since 1983 and is very far from being a repeat of earlier designs. Measuring 639 feet in length and 78 feet wide and 45 feet high, the 28,000 dwt ship will carry all types of cargo throughout the freshwater Lakes and River systems and has been designed to navigate the tight bends of the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland...
The stats on this thing are pretty incredible. This ain't your grandpa's freighter.

Quote:
..The Mark W. Barker will be the first ship on the Great Lakes with engines that meet EPA Tier 4 emissions standards. She is powered by twin EMD main engines generating 8,000 total horsepower that turn a single four-blade, controllable-pitch propeller through a Lufkin twin-input, single-output gearbox. She is outfitted with 1,000-hp Kongsberg bow and stern thrusters. Her hull has been optimized for efficiency and all systems have been designed to ensure low energy consumption. A Kongsberg high-lift rudder optimizes the wake through the propeller...Five large hydraulically controlled stackable MacGregor hatch covers, more usually found on ocean-going vessels, offer enhanced flexibility for project cargoes and expedite loading operations. Unlike most Great Lakes freighters, the Mark W. Barker has a square-shaped, flat-bottomed cargo hold instead of a traditional V-shaped hold that funnels bulk cargo onto conveyer belts for offloading... the combination of larger hatch openings and additional cargo hold space was designed with future cargoes in mind to include wind-turbine blades and project cargo. In addition, the unloading boom is located on the forward end of the ship, offering flexibility for cargo operations in congested ports. Many Great Lakes customers find the forward boom more advantageous to allow placement of cargoes in preferred areas for access at their docks...

Source: Marine Log | Interlake Steamship Company

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 17, 2022 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 10:41 PM

55 seconds called "Landing":

Known as "Muddy York" and "Little York" (back in 1804), this burg on the north shore of Lake Ontario has grown some.

Imagine more than 2 dozen or so downtown talls under construction (incl. 2 supertalls)... added to this view from Bloor/Yorkville (on the left in the video) to the lake.

https://youtu.be/6IlmIfcodjc

Jiri VonDrak

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Anyway, another update on the Mark W. Barker -
So freaking cool to see her underway!

I've literally been waiting my whole life to see a brand new great lakes built freighter ply the waters of our magnificent inland seas.

(Born in '76, I was too little at the time to have any memory of the thousand-footers that were being built back then)

Sidebar: I was driving back from door county the other day and passing through Milwaukee on the I-43/I-94 high bridge, I spied Viking Octantis docked over in the harbor. Didn't have time to snap a pic or anything, but it's so damn cool to see a proper cruise ship in port of a great great lakes city like Milwaukee.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:30 PM

Could the Great Lakes solve US shipping woes?

BBC
July 26, 2022

Image via the BBC.

"Lake Erie - one of five connected bodies of freshwater that make up the Great Lakes system along the US-Canada border - might not seem like a solution to America's supply chain issues.

But it might just be exactly that, writes Stephen Starr for the BBC.

Connected to the Atlantic Ocean via a system of canals and locks, the Port of Cleveland is one of several Great Lakes shipping centres experiencing a revival. Last year, the total tonnage handled by the port increased by 69% from 2020. April's tonnage numbers were double that of the same month in 2021..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62157479

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:33 PM

Update for the business side of Viking Great Lakes Cruises.

The bookings look good so far, and Navy Pier is back under negotiation.

Of course, Chicago handed Viking the dredging bill, because that’s always been the most expensive point of contention.

Quote:
When Viking adjusted the specs on the ships to be able to squeeze through the Welland Canal near Niagara Falls, a prerequisite to accessing the Great Lakes beyond Lake Ontario, executive vice president of marketing Richard Marnell wasn't sure it would sell.
"You're hopeful if you build it, they will come," he said. "We still have some space, but these itineraries have been selling very, very well."
The voyages seem to attract former Midwesterners who find the lakes familiar and want to revisit them, he said, or people around the country who want to stay close to the U.S. and are curious about the lakes.
Quote:
However, some U.S. policies are holding Viking back. For instance, the ship's two submarines (painted yellow and named John and Paul in a hat tip to the Beatles) can only dive in Canadian waters because they are not U.S.-flagged. That restriction limited when and where guests could use the vessels to discover marine life or shipwrecks that would reinforce the expedition feel.
Quote:
On the U.S. side, Hagen (founder and chairman of a Viking) wants to see his ships call in Chicago, namely at the iconic Navy Pier. He said he is negotiating with the pier about docking there, although some dredging would be required.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-...iking-Octantis

Quote:
Q: You mentioned interest in Viking's Great Lakes itineraries extending to Chicago.
A: Yes. We need to find docking. We are working on the matter. In Navy Pier, there's some question about some dredging and so forth.

https://www.travelweekly.com/On-The-...n-Hagen-Viking

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ great news on Viking Octantis possibly coming to navy pier in future summers.

that will be a fantastic sight to see!

as for great lakes cargo container shipping potential, it's now over 6 decades later and it's still a shame that the locks for the seaway/welland canal were built so damn small.

check out how tiny seawaymax ships now compare to the bounding boxes of the world's other major size-constrained canals and interior waterways.

according to wikipedia, less than 10% of the world's current fleet ocean-going cargo ships are now small enough to fit seawamax dimensions.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawrence_Seaway

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 27, 2022 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:19 PM

The existing 1000-footers can already cause a ton of damage to sensitive waterways with how much water they displace. Accommodating a Panamax cargo ship would likely forever change the Great Lakes and connecting waterways as we know it. Not sure how worth it is to shave a few days (it may not even save time) and dollars off of the current rail lines which are very well-connected to the coast.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:50 PM

^ I don't think we have much to worry about. Backlogs, vessel and container capacity issues at major coastal ports aren't going to last forever.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ my point in mentioning ship size is that the VAST majority of the world's cargo container ships can't even get into the great lakes anymore, so they'd have to use some atlantic port city (halifax, QC, montreal, etc.) anyway to transfer their containers on to smaller ships, thus completely negating the whole point of great lakes cities serving as relievers ports for trans-oceanic cargo container shipping.

there's no new world just around the corner where cargo containers are going to be shipped from, say, rotterdam direct to cleveland on a single ship. at least not in any meaningful way to impact the current backlogs at atlantic ports.

now, there still is a fair degree of bulk shipping directly from/into the great lakes on smaller seawaymax ocean-going bulk carriers (known as "salties" on the great lakes), but that's a whole different ballgame than the shipping container trade.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 1:52 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Big News!!!

Quote:
Maiden voyage begins for first Great Lakes-built cargo ship in 35 years

Published: Jul. 27, 2022, 4:27 p.m.
By Garret Ellison | gellison@mlive.com

STURGEON BAY, WIS — The newest freighter to ply the Great Lakes began her maiden voyage today; a trip from Wisconsin to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to load stone that will be used to make ready-mix making concrete.

The Mark W. Barker, a 639-foot ship built for the Interlake Steamship Company, left Sturgeon Bay, Wis., at 10:36 a.m. Central Time on Wednesday, July 27, for a 110-mile voyage north to Port Inland, Mich., where the vessel will load stone and then deliver it to Muskegon.

“This is a monumental day for our company and the U.S. flag fleet as our much-anticipated freighter departs on her first voyage in what will be a long life of service on the Great Lakes,” said Mark W. Barker, president of Interlake and the vessel’s namesake
Full article: https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...outputType=amp

I've only been waiting my whole life for this.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 28, 2022 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
^ my point in mentioning ship size is that the VAST majority of the world's cargo container ships can't even get into the great lakes anymore, so they'd have to use some atlantic port city (halifax, QC, montreal, etc.) anyway to transfer their containers on to smaller ships, thus completely negating the whole point of great lakes cities serving as relievers ports for trans-oceanic cargo container shipping.

there's no new world just around the corner where cargo containers are going to be shipped from, say, rotterdam direct to cleveland on a single ship. at least not in any meaningful way to impact the current backlogs at atlantic ports.

now, there still is a fair degree of bulk shipping directly from/into the great lakes on smaller seawaymax ocean-going bulk carriers (known as "salties" on the great lakes), but that's a whole different ballgame than the shipping container trade.
Right, I knew where you were coming from. And I've definitely seen an increase in those "salties" on Lake Erie in the past 10 years or so. A lot of those self-unloading, heavy-lift dry cargo ships.

I've seen the MINERVAGRACHT quite a bit with containers, but usually loaded with big mechanical components like wind turbine blades or boilers or something.

Quote:
Big News!!!

Very cool! I just saw sister ship Kaye E. Barker up in Erie a couple days ago.

Do you have a favorite Great Lakes fleet member?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:07 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Big News!!!

Full article: https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...outputType=amp

I'll be in Muskegon on Monday - I'll keep an eye out for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions