HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsblanket View Post
Making significant progress to the amenity area in the past week. The pool is much larger than any in the area.

Yesterday they lifted the HVAC fan things (I think that's the technical term) to the taller tower.

Does anyone know when the Whole Foods is slated to open?

edit I can't figure out how to make my photo show up: https://imgur.com/a/x8SFgmg

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 9:55 PM

Whole Foods will open some time next spring. They have not started to build out the Whole Foods space yet.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-

I disagree. While I do think this building is a welcome addition to the skyline - especially with the playful alternating around the Deco verticality, it suffers

from that current trend of blue-ish glass reflectiveness which needs to be restrained by or framed by stronger lines - like say 9 DeKalb or 111 West 57th.

the lines here are indeed its best feature and the balcony dots help do the framing in a rather clever back and forth overlap. They add a delineation which

alleviates the addition of more of the already overabundance of blue blandness which is overtaking the skyline.

Look at how this building seems so much less a presence than the Hancock. it could have been stronger, but it is still much better than the majority of

the glassy slickness which has been popping up all over the place.

Someone recently posted an spurious article which celebrated the Vista tower as the great addition to the city, but I think this building is much better.

The vertical lines of the balconies and the more central lines could have been stronger and the building would have had a stronger presence.

It is too smooth for me, but overall it is better than most of the new big towers.

I agree, I think the balconies are balanced on the big tower and unobtrusive on the little one. From a livability standpoint, even borderline sufficient outdoor space should be celebrated haha. I will not live in one that doesn't have a private balcony/patio space.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 1:26 AM

Aug 2

r

Aug 5

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:09 AM

Not gonna lie the John Hancock antenna look good on the top of one Chicago square

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 2:07 PM

I actually like that this building doesn't have a spire or antenna..... I suspect I am in the minority on that though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:59 PM

^ One reason some of us wish One Chicago had a spire is that a spire would make this a supertall. Until fairly recently (~2002?), Chicago still had more supertalls than any other city in the world, but it's now ranked only like 10th.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
^ One reason some of us wish One Chicago had a spire is that a spire would make this a supertall. Until fairly recently (~2002?), Chicago still had more supertalls than any other city in the world, but it's now ranked only like 10th.
It's a really cheap way to increase height, and I don't think would fit this building.

According to the CTBUH Chicago currently ranks 5th globally for supertalls, 7th for 150 meter buildings and 11th for 200 meter buildings

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/cit...=buildings-300

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
According to the CTBUH Chicago currently ranks 5th globally for supertalls, 7th for 150 meter buildings and 11th for 200 meter buildings

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/cit...=buildings-300
The CTBUH list excludes supertalls under construction. I was looking at Wikipedia's list of cities with at least 50 skyscrapers above 150 m, which does include those:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_above_150m

Anyway, I do agree that One Chicago looks better without a spire.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Spires make a building taller the same way a toupee cures baldness.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
*************************************************************************************

"Well, I must say"

Now I can better appreciate that the so-called "Freedom Tower" in Man-Hat-tan and a number of others

are versions of Ed Grimley!

The fake spire smh

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Spires make a building taller the same way a toupee cures baldness.
Amen

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:17 PM

A few photos I snapped of One Chicago this morning.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:44 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

I do like that the balconies are partially enclosed. It makes them much less obtrusive.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
I do like that the balconies are partially enclosed. It makes them much less obtrusive.
not to mention safer. builders can only have so many residents falling out of open balconies before people start to call them careless.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^^^ Great shots.

The enclosed balconies actually give off somewhat of a structural expression, in my opinion. Akin to 3 WTC, minus the diagonal bracing. Very nice touch.
I had reservations when they added the balconies in the renderings, but they've turned out better than expected for me. OCS can do no wrong.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
At that height it probably makes them much more comfortable too. These have got to be some of the highest true balconies in the city at over 800' off the ground... Probably the only other building with such high outdoor spaces is Vista...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
At that height it probably makes them much more comfortable too. These have got to be some of the highest true balconies in the city at over 800' off the ground... Probably the only other building with such high outdoor spaces is Vista...
Those Vista railings are like 3ft even on the top floor. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about being on one of those

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:09 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
A few photos I snapped of One Chicago this morning.

You've captured my home in this photo, as i live on Huron.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:36 PM

I like the balconies' effect on the building's overall aesthetics. Without them, the building might look a tad too homogeneous and bland, similar to (though still not as bad as) a certain supertall residential tower in NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive