HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Right, for me it's t-shirt weather when it's above 55 (as long as not too windy). Above 80 is starting to get hot. Do people who like hot weather never walk anywhere? It's no fun to get sweaty from just walking...
It's been in the upper 90's for past week or so, I've been walking every day.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:01 PM

One of my favorite temperatures is 20 F/-7 C. Chill enough that snow is firm, but warm enough that a moderate coat will get toasty on a walk.

The clarity of a crisp winter day, when Denali is visible 160 miles away, is paradise.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:49 PM

Reporting back in from my Charleston vacation, which is over tomorrow.

Monday had a high of 86, and was a walking day, and doable, if a bit hot.

Tuesday was a high of 90. We spent much of the day in the car driving around to various parks/places outside of the city, so we beat much of the worst of the heat (and stayed in the shade a lot).

Wednesday had a high of 96, and we went to the beach, which helped us beat the worst of the heat, due to the cooler temperatures there, time in the water, and the sea breeze. Unfortunately we all got sunburnt by the end of the day, as despite adding sunblock, there's always some areas you seem to miss. I got a little sunburn on my face and the tops of my feet, but the only really painful area is the backs of my upper arms, which the short-sleeve rashguard didn't cover and I somehow forgot to spray. Everyone else in the family got it even worse than I did.

Thursday had a high of 96 again, and it was a "museum day" within the city. Though this meant that a lot of time was spent indoors, it also meant we needed to walk blocks between each of the locations, which was frankly hellish (except when we took the ferry to Ft. Sumter, which was tolerable due to the breeze). It was also hard because we were trying to do everything we could to stay in shadow in order to not get burned more.

Today the high was 87. As long as we were in the shade, it was tolerable, but there were a lot of times that we couldn't stay in the shade.

Dew point was between 60 and 70 all week.

As for Charleston, it was a good experience, but I really do wish we booked one less day in the city, and another day on the return leg in Richmond. Four full days is enough for a city of this size.

It really is amazing how many preppy women aged 25-40 are in this city however - and how much of absolutely everything seems to be catered towards them.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 11:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ as a brag, I've been up on Mackinac Island, MI this week and daily highs have been an utterly glorious 68 - 75, with low humidity, and always a refreshing great lakes breeze.

As for sunburn and faces, I have never found a sunscreen that works on my face, they all say they're "sweatproof", but it's all bullshit. The ONLY thing that works on my face for a day at the beach is a good wide brim sun hat.

Sure, I look like a dork, but it certainly beats sunburn, and looking like a dork is par for the course anyway.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ as a brag, I've been up on Mackinac Island, MI this week and daily highs have been an utterly glorious 68 - 75, with low humidity, and always a refreshing great lakes breeze.
It was a nice enough week, but I really wish we were in Portland, Maine instead.

Quote:
As for sunburn and faces, I have never found a sunscreen that works on my face, they all say they're "sweatproof", but it's all bullshit. The ONLY thing that works on my face for a day at the beach is a good wide brim sun hat.

Sure, I look like a dork, but it certainly beats sunburn, and looking like a dork is par for the course anyway.
I'm not someone who burns super easily through incidental exposure outside through like walking around or cycling for a few hours. I really have to be outside for most of the day to develop a sunburn, which is why I really only use sunscreen on rare beach days and the like. Like, I don't actively avoid the sun (like my wife, who is vampire-like) but I don't actively seek it out either.

Sometimes I get a pretty prominent burn on the bridge of my nose only, with the rest of my face untouched. This time I ended up with more of a very light burn over a tan across much of my upper face, so it doesn't really look notable if you don't know what I look like already.

Eventually I'm sure I will shift to beach hats, as my hair gets thinner. Still not really in the sunburn at the top of my head phase, even though it's getting notably thinner on top.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 5:49 AM

Quote:
When dew points start to get above 60 I start hating life.

When they get above 70 I start contemplating suicide.

Hot humid weather is my least favorite kind of weather.
The dew point was literally 80 here yesterday in St. Petersburg Florida for about 5 hrs straight. It's usually around 75 but yesterday was above average

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:11 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Right, for me it's t-shirt weather when it's above 55 (as long as not too windy). Above 80 is starting to get hot. Do people who like hot weather never walk anywhere? It's no fun to get sweaty from just walking...
I love hot weather. And, yeah, I walk. Actually, I mostly ride my bike even in the heat. And I work in jeans, a t-short and steel toe boots. Gets hot sometimes, but you get used to it. The worst thing is the humidity, and it hasn't been very humid here lately. that's actually making it hotter since we're way behind for rain. I read recently it's like a 6 to 9 inch deficit for the year.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:07 PM

Turned hot here in coastal SoCal. I live about 5 mi from the coast, and it almost hit 90f the last couple of days. Unusual. Usually stays pretty cool until early July. Only cool right near the beach, where there is fog. They say by the weekend it will cool off here to 70f. We'll see.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
One of my favorite temperatures is 20 F/-7 C. Chill enough that snow is firm, but warm enough that a moderate coat will get toasty on a walk.

The clarity of a crisp winter day, when Denali is visible 160 miles away, is paradise.
I agree. Plus there are no summer bugs that are really pesky up there. I always bring insect repellent, that sometimes the aggressive skeeters and flies ignore. If anything, the bugs are even worse in rural Maine and Minnesota where there are countless lakes and ponds. Why October is the perfect month. Cold has killed the bugs, but still warm enough not to freeze your nose off. Plus the leaves are gorgeous.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:16 PM

Though I do enjoy a delightful Pittsburgh day like today... 79F and sunny, with barely a cloud in the sky, and 34% humidity...

I'll be happy when it gets back into the 90s in a couple days -- the less clothing on the ladies, the better!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Turned hot here in coastal SoCal. I live about 5 mi from the coast, and it almost hit 90f the last couple of days. Unusual.
Wow, where exactly at?

I was down in Newport Beach on Sunday, and according to the thermometer on the car, it was 73 degrees. Beautiful enough to enjoy Bunnyhenge, an art piece I really appreciate because when it was first installed about 7 or 8 years ago, many Newport Beach residents hated it, them being "fiscal (and political) conservatives," didn't like the idea of their tax money being spent on huge stone bunnies. "Waste of taxpayers' money!!" My partner and I have visited it a number of times over the years, each time wondering if it will have been removed.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Wow, where exactly at?

I was down in Newport Beach on Sunday, and according to the thermometer on the car, it was 73 degrees.]
I was in Malibu on Sunday and it was 80 degrees, although it was nice compared to the Valley but warmer than I expected for this time of year. In Woodland Hills which is 20 minutes away cutting through the hills the car was showing the temperature at 4pm was 106 degrees. That was too hot to hang out at our pool. Even tonight it’s warm and my son and I went to the pool at 9pm the water felt like bath water.

Thankfully this is the last day of hot temperatures and the weekend is going to be nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:50 AM
REAL Kiwi!

I've been in Southern California for two weeks and the weather really is mild everywhere, you do have some warm temps inland, but generally it cools at night and of course its dry. Spent time in North county San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach areas.
Coastal areas can be down right cool if you come visit from other areas of the country.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I've been in Southern California for two weeks and the weather really is mild everywhere, you do have some warm temps inland, but generally it cools at night and of course its dry. Spent time in North county San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach areas.
Coastal areas can be down right cool if you come visit from other areas of the country.
It just turned hot about Saturday. Before that the coastal areas were nice and cool like they normally are in May and June. As I said, even now it us still mild right near the beach, with fog. But get a couple of miles inland, and it is warm. Here in Vista it was 90f today, when it is normally in the 70s. But by next weekend temps will cool off as Chris said above.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 8:50 AM

[QUOTE=sopas ej;9662821]Wow, where exactly at?

I was down in Newport Beach on Sunday, and according to the thermometer on the car, it was 73 degrees. Beautiful enough to enjoy Bunnyhenge, an art piece I really appreciate because when it was first installed about 7 or 8 years ago, many Newport Beach residents hated it, them being "fiscal (and political) conservatives," didn't like the idea of their tax money being spent on huge stone bunnies. "Waste of taxpayers' money!!" My partner and I have visited it a number of times over the years, each time wondering if it will have been removed.

Photo by me

Interesting wabbits. Future generations seeing this will assume we worshiped bunnies like the Egyptians worshiped cats.The weather I was referring g to is north San Diego County. It is still mild and a bit foggy now within about a mile of the beach. But get 5 miles away from the beach, for example Vista, it is close to 90F. Before this early heat wave struck on Friday, it has been very nice and cool and beautiful for weeks. The cool is supposed to return to the entire coastal zone in a couple of days as the high pressure moves away as Chris said. Hopefully the cool will persist into mid July as it often does, before the hot "dog days" of August hit.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 29, 2022 at 9:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Ties are uncomfortable. Dry-cleaned shirts are uncomfortable.

And suits in non-summer fabrics are uncomfortable in warm weather, IMO.
Gotta lay off the starch and stay open necked. But yes, generally I agree.

The Brits have a thing for heavier weight wool too (like 13-14oz). I get that the drape is better, but it’s just not comfortable to wear indoors (with the lack of A/C and fondness for artificial heating in this country) or out in the summer.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:05 AM

I’ve just come back again from windsurfing (or trying to) in Tarifa, Spain. Perfect weather during the day, and actually quite cold at night, because of the coastal climate and wind. No humidity at all, to the point where you’re slathering on moisturizer twice a day.

It’s the southernmost point in continental Europe but the climate is similar to somewhere like Monterey (which is at almost the same latitude), not even SoCal.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:44 PM

After 2 weeks in Las Vegas and Southern California, I realize how beautiful it is to be back surrounded by lush greenery.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:47 PM

Temps are going to hover from 75 to 90f the next ten days. I am always in awe thinking back to winter weather and now. I won’t lie, I love the summer weather better, but the contrast is super nice. Winter brings a hushed atmosphere and the cocooning bit, which is particular to Northern climes, I suppose.

In mid May, we had temps in the 90f range for three days, a record for that time of the year. It was welcome though, esp after a long drawn out grey early Spring.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
After 2 weeks in Las Vegas and Southern California, I realize how beautiful it is to be back surrounded by lush greenery.
If you fly from Southern California to...anywhere east of St. Louis in May or June, the greenness is overwhelming. It seems more green today than when I was a kid in the 1980s thanks to the Clean Air Act and the continued maturing of the forests following their logging in the 1800s. We've also had mostly mild and wet summers since 2000. The 1988 drought (https://web.archive.org/web/20061211.../drought88.pdf) was a 1,000-year event that did a lot of damage to the region's trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions