HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 8:21 PM

Countries, States, Provinces and Cities You Would Like to Visit (but haven't yet)

I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand, Fiji, Japan, India, Northwest Territory and Yukon in Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Antarctica, South Africa, Egypt, Chile, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Uruguay. Never been, but on my bucket list. In the U.S., Maine and Vermont. Cities: Cairo, Cape Town, Reykjavik, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Rio, Buenos Aires, Cuzco, Montevideo.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 1:50 PM

Definitely Australia, although I'd have to break the trip up into segments since I can't fathom being on a plane that long. Also Bali, Thailand, Stockholm, Tel Aviv, and Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:21 PM

I'm pretty much always up for a trip to a place I've never seen before. High on the list:

US:
New Orleans
Seattle
Alaska
Colorado

Canada:
Montreal

Caribbean:
Havana
Santiago de Cuba

Asia:
Hong Kong
India

Africa:
Accra/Ghana
Nigeria
Kenya
Tanzania
South Africa

Europe:
Naples, Florence, Venice, Sicily
Montenegro

Oceania:
New Zealand
Australia

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 3:03 PM

Even though I'm bit lazy with pre-trips preparations and end up skipping some opportunities, I love the actual trip and I find pretty much any place attractive. So I'll mention only the favourite ones:

North America: all major cities in Northeast and Great Lakes region, New Orleans and California; Montreal; Mexico City

South America: Buenos Aires and southern Chile

Oceania: New Zealand

Asia: Japan and Hong Kong

Europe: Southern Italy, Vienna, Scotland, Scandinavia, Black Forest and rural areas all over Western Europe.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Australia, New Zealand, Maldives (before they sink) China, Thailand, India, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Israel, southern Europe, Egypt, Brazil.

In the US, I have only 7 more states to go: Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas and Nebraska.

In America's hat, I'd love to visit Yukon, BC, Banff and see Toronto again (it was the first big city I ever visited and haven't been back since.)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:59 PM

Arizona, Japan, China, Australia, Germany. India, Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

New Orleans
Copenhagen
Prague
Vienna
Minneapolis

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'm pretty much always up for a trip to a place I've never seen before. High on the list:

US:
New Orleans
Seattle
Alaska
Colorado
IMO the best time to visit Alaska is mid to late August. The birch are turning golden, and the first frost will kill off the clouds of mosquitos. However, the days are still in the 60s F, businesses are still open for the summer season -- and best of all, you have enough hours of night to have a decent chance of catching aurora.

To answer the thread question:

Countries:
Ethiopia
New Zealand
Russia (I had detailed plans for a two week city to city hop down the Trans Siberian post Covid)

Cities:
Buenos Aires
Cape Town
Istanbul
Prague
Shanghai

Miscellaneous:
Karnak
Kruger NP
Nan Madol
Nazca

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 11:20 PM

Inner Passage Alaska
Caucasus mountains
Kathmandu

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 11:53 PM

Canada:
Newfoundland

US:
Yellowstone NP
New Mexico
Philly
Boston

Europe:
Ireland
Scotland
Switzerland
Slovenia
Provence
Basque Country
Sardinia
Albania
Macedonia

Africa:
Morocco
Ethiopia
South Africa
Namibia

Asia:
Iran
Uzbekistan
Goa/Kerela/Tamil Nadu
Sri Lanka
Nepal

Bolivia
New Zealand

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:41 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Places I really want to go to but haven't yet:

North America:

- Baffin Island (Akshayuk Pass)
- Newfoundland
- Labrador
- Dempster Highway
- Aleutian Islands
- The rest of Greenland (I've only been to Kangerlussuaq and Summit Station...).

Europe:
- Svalbard
- Lofoten Islands
- Faroe Islands
- Georgia (if you consider it Europe...)

South America:
- Patagonia
- South Georgia
- Tierra Del Fuego
- Galapagos
- Buenos Aires
- Rio

Asia:
- Kamchatka
- Japan
- Kyrgyzstan
- Tibet
- Xinjiang
- Singapore

Africa:
- Cape Town
- Ethiopia

Australia/ Oceania:
- French Polynesia
- Perth (I've been to all the other major Australian cities)
- Fiji
- Actually explore the Southern Island of New Zealand (I've only been to Christchurch in transit)

Antarctica:
- Antarctic Peninsula
- McMurdo Dry Valleys
- Top of Mt. Erebus
- Union Glacier

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:59 AM

There's so many. I actually got Alaska off my list earlier this month.

Here's a short list:

CITIES
London
Sydney
Havana
Dublin
Kingston, Jamaica
Rome
Paris

COUNTRIES
Ireland
Germany
Tunisia

NORTH AMERICA
Hawaii
Greenland
All of the Canadian provinces and territories (I've only been to Ontario and Quebec), and especially the territorial capitals
Many more Caribbean islands
All 50 states (done 35 so far, if I remember correctly)
US Virgin Islands

OTHER
All 7 continents

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:15 AM

Europe - Luxemburg city
Asia - Seoul South Korea

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Places I really want to go to but haven't yet:

North America:

- Baffin Island (Akshayuk Pass)
- Newfoundland
- Labrador
- Dempster Highway
- Aleutian Islands
- The rest of Greenland (I've only been to Kangerlussuaq and Summit Station...).

Europe:
- Svalbard
- Lofoten Islands
- Faroe Islands
- Georgia (if you consider it Europe...)

South America:
- Patagonia
- South Georgia
- Tierra Del Fuego
- Galapagos
- Buenos Aires
- Rio

Asia:
- Kamchatka
- Japan
- Kyrgyzstan
- Tibet
- Xinjiang
- Singapore

Africa:
- Cape Town
- Ethiopia

Australia/ Oceania:
- French Polynesia
- Perth (I've been to all the other major Australian cities)
- Fiji
- Actually explore the Southern Island of New Zealand (I've only been to Christchurch in transit)

Antarctica:
- Antarctic Peninsula
- McMurdo Dry Valleys
- Top of Mt. Erebus
- Union Glacier
I like your list, concentrated on the polar areas most likely to sadly change. I forgot to add Patagonia and the Falkland/Malvinas Islands to my original list above. Love these lonely places at the ends of the world. One place I'd add in addition is the Kuergelen Islands in the cold polar sea north of Antarctica, far southeast of Madagascar (which I'd also like to visit). It is claimed by France, but I'm not sure if is possible to visit. In the 19th century it was sometimes visited by whaling ships. I'd also like to visit the Galapagos Islands, so important to Darwin's discoveries. They are rapidly changing as more people move there and the species Darwin described are in trouble because of. pop growth and global climate change. Finally, some of the high mountain ranges in the Sahara Desert. One range in northern Chad or southern Libya has 11,000 foot peaks and some isolated villages where people live as they did hundreds of years ago. I believe one of the mountain areas is called Haggar and the other Tarraghansett or something like that. Maybe these areas are unsafe, not sure. Certainly remote. Oh, one more, if it becomes possible to visit Russia again, the Kamchatka penninsula. Volcanos, tigers, wilderness, unpopuIated. Sounds fun.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 22, 2022 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 3:19 AM

Hmm…..

Canada:

Yukon
Yellowknife
Quebec City
The Maritimes and Newfoundland.

America:

Florida
Texas
Montana
San Diego
The Grand Canyon

Been pretty much everywhere else of note in the US.

The World:

Iceland
Australia
New Zealand
Bali
The Himalayas (Nepal)
Thailand
Chile
Peru
Brazil
Costa Rica
Jamaica
Italy (never been to the homeland)
Malta
Greece
Egypt
Morocco

I wanted to go to Russia one day but that is forever scratched from the list, now will trade that with Ukraine.

Also, Antoine who hasn’t been to Victoria BC and Vancouver Island in general and doesn’t have it on their list is missing out

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:04 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I like your list, concentrated on the polar areas most likely to sadly change. I forgot to add Patagonia and the Falkland/Malvinas Islands to my original list above. Love these lonely places at the ends of the world. One place I'd add in addition is the Kuergelen Islands in the cold polar sea north of Antarctica, far southeast of Madagascar (which I'd also like to visit). It is claimed by France, but I'm not sure if is possible to visit. In the 19th century it was sometimes visited by whaling ships. I'd also like to visit the Galapagos Islands, so important to Darwin's discoveries. They are rapidly changing as more people move there and the species Darwin described are in trouble because of. pop growth and global climate change. Finally, some of the high mountain ranges in the Sahara Desert. One range in northern Chad or southern Libya has 11,000 foot peaks and some isolated villages where people live as they did hundreds of years ago. I believe one of the mountain areas is called Haggar and the other Tarraghansett or something like that. Maybe these areas are unsafe, not sure. Certainly remote. Oh, one more, if it becomes possible to visit Russia again, the Kamchatka penninsula. Volcanos, tigers, wilderness, unpopuIated. Sounds fun.

Yeah I concentrated on places that I reasonably have a chance to go, and I figured Kerguelen was too difficult (it's not possible to go there as a tourist, and while I might be able to go there for research if I'm creative enough, it's hard enough to get to that it's unreasonable). Other seemingly impossible destinations are places like Bouvet. Also Afghanistan and Iran, though for different reasons. The highlands of Northern Africa are also intriguing, though not sure about the logistics.

One place I forgot (though has similar political difficulties to Kamchatka) is Novaya Zemlya, which apparently you can (/could have, prior to sanctions) take a cruise to. Though I don't know what that entails... the dream would be to cruise through the Matochkin Strait, but I imagine that's not possible both for technical and political issues (I think the Russian Nuke base is on the straight).

The biggest stretch on my list is probably the McMurdo Dry Valleys. I'm likely going to McMurdo again in 2 years, but getting to the Dry Valleys requires either convincing a helicopter pilot or having a legitimate reason to be there, which I might be able to concoct but is perhaps difficult. I actually do have a legitimate research reason to go up Mt. Erebus if I can convince NSF (though... let's be honest, the primary motivation would be to get up there; not sure how close to the lava pit I would be comfortable getting though). Union Glacier is relatively easy to go to as a tourist, but $$$, though I might be able to swing it for other reasons (e.g. if our balloon payload lands there and I end up on the recovery team---I quite regretfully passed up a chance to be on the recovery team our previous balloon payload, though that landed near Pole and I got to go to Pole for other reasons a few years later).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah I concentrated on places that I reasonably have a chance to go, and I figured Kerguelen was too difficult (it's not possible to go there as a tourist, and while I might be able to go there for research if I'm creative enough, it's hard enough to get to that it's unreasonable). Other seemingly impossible destinations are places like Bouvet. Also Afghanistan and Iran, though for different reasons. The highlands of Northern Africa are also intriguing, though not sure about the logistics.

One place I forgot (though has similar political difficulties to Kamchatka) is Novaya Zemlya, which apparently you can (/could have, prior to sanctions) take a cruise to. Though I don't know what that entails... the dream would be to cruise through the Matochkin Strait, but I imagine that's not possible both for technical and political issues (I think the Russian Nuke base is on the straight).

The biggest stretch on my list is probably the McMurdo Dry Valleys. I'm likely going to McMurdo again in 2 years, but getting to the Dry Valleys requires either convincing a helicopter pilot or having a legitimate reason to be there, which I might be able to concoct but is perhaps difficult. I actually do have a legitimate research reason to go up Mt. Erebus if I can convince NSF (though... let's be honest, the primary motivation would be to get up there; not sure how close to the lava pit I would be comfortable getting though). Union Glacier is relatively easy to go to as a tourist, but $$$, though I might be able to swing it for other reasons (e.g. if our balloon payload lands there and I end up on the recovery team---I quite regretfully passed up a chance to be on the recovery team our previous balloon payload, though that landed near Pole and I got to go to Pole for other reasons a few years later).
The dry valleys of Antarctica have intrigued me as well. They are dry because the surrounding mountains cast a precip. shadow, and cause dry down slope winds (adiabatic heating)? They must get above freezing. Maybe almost warm in Antarctic summer? Are they near McMurdo? I bet all the scientists want to visit.

I hear the food is fantastic at these research stations. When I was at remote drilling locations in Alaska and on offshore rigs as a geologist, the food was always plentiful and good. Unlimited steaks, salmon, halibut. Whatever. The cooks would go right to work. All free of course. I always gained weight. The U.S. military also has good food now for all the ranks; the navy is best. Those bigger navy ships, even the subs, serve first class food. Emphasis on meat of course. Good food keeps people happy.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 22, 2022 at 9:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:25 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The dry valleys of Antarctica have intrigued me as well. They are dry because the surrounding mountains cast a precip. shadow, and cause dry down slope winds (adiabatic heating)? They must get above freezing. Maybe almost warm in Antarctic summer? Are they near McMurdo? I bet all the scientists want to visit.

[IMG size=750]http://data.pgc.umn.edu/maps/antarctica/usgs/03/preview/Ross%20Island%20and%20Vicinity.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, the Dry Valleys are just across McMurdo sound, accessible via copter.

Quote:
I hear the food is fantastic at these research stations. When I was at remote drilling locations in Alaska and on offshore rigs as a geologist, the food was always plentiful and good. Unlimited steaks, salmon, halibut. Whatever. The cooks would go right to work. All free of course. I always gained weight. The U.S. military also has good food now for all the ranks; the navy is best. Those bigger navy ships, even the subs, serve first class food. Emphasis on meat of course. Good food keeps people happy.
McMurdo is big enough (up to 2k people) that the food isn't great, though the variety is good and there's 24 hour pizza. The food at at the balloon base was much better (the long duration balloon facility is about 9 miles from McMurdo on the Ross Ice Shelf, just past Willy Field; far enough away we had our own cook for lunch, though we went back to McMurdo for dinner and to sleep). The food at Pole was better, though obviously lacking in veggies. For holidays we go all out (I spent Thanksigiving at McMurdo one year and Christmas at Pole another year), with steak and lobster and all that. There are always freshly baked cookies around. It's dangerous. Field camps also have good food from what I hear. I can attest to the good food at Summit Station in Greenland, which will tend to rotate through the same cast of cooks as the Antarctic field stations, though some cooks are better than others.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:48 PM
E pluribus unum

Finally crossed New York City off the list in April but even after spending 8 days there, like Washington DC, there's not enough time to take in everything it has to offer.

United States:
New Orleans
Miami (I hate humidity, but love Art Deco...)
Atlanta
Savannah
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Boston
Denver
St. Louis
Nashville
Austin/San Antonio

Canada:
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver

Mexico:
DF
Puerto Vallarta (or at least, the coasts near Puerto Vallarta)

Elsewhere (I've never been off the continent. I know I suck):
London
Munich
Berlin
Paris
Rome
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Tokyo
Cairo
Rio de Janeiro

And probably a whole bunch of others I'm forgetting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions