HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:58 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
At least NYC is very near the ocean, in Montreal’s case, the city is hundreds of kilometres from the gulf of St Lawrence. In the past couple of years, there were two sightings of a Humpback whale in march 2020 and of a Minke whale last may.
These seem to be the first ever sightings of whales near here.

not surprized, there have been whale and dolphin sightings as far up the hudson as albany.
they get around, although its worrisome when they are so far from the open sea in those situations.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:26 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
In my part of Austin (SW) we see deer, coyotes, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, skunks, red fox, squirrels, and, every once in a while, a bobcat. Supposedly there are feral pigs out and about, but I've yet to see one around this part of town. I've had a couple of coyote encounters (they took off running thankfully) when out with my dogs. The coyotes kick up a lot of racket at night down in a greenbelt below my house. Lots of yipping and wailing. I rather like the sounds. My dog Mike had more than one encounter with a skunk. Not fun for Mike. Not fun for me. A few different kinds of hawks are regularly circling in the sky year round. Lots of other birds as well, with grackles being the most obvious and noisiest. We also have rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. Lots of dogs get snake bites in this part of the country. I expect to see a lot of wildlife this summer since it is so very dry and hot. They are going to be foraging for scarce food and sources of water, so they are likely to come a lot closer to homes than they otherwise might.
About the same here in North Texas outside DFW. Lots of deer, hogs, toads and frogs as well. Saw a roadrunner in the yard the other day. Crawfish in the creek.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:28 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Nice to see that many areas have a nice wild diversity. One thing that I didn’t mention in the OP was that there are also wild donkeys or burros in the Inland Empire. They travel as a herd through the hilly park system south of Loma Linda, San Bernardino, and Redlands. I haven’t gotten close to them but I often see their shit on the trails in the same park.
That is really cool! We were in Temecula for a while and saw tons of bunnies, coyotes, frogs in the creeks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:36 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My older brother had (has) coyotes living in a bunch of downed trees on end of his property up in NY and he tosses fireworks in their den to scare them off but they come back every year.
What kind of redneck shenanigans do the Mancuso brothers get up to in the Utica area

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 9:56 AM
if I sang out of tune

Took these pics this summer -screenshots from my Instagram

London has tens of thousands of wild parakeets. In Kensington Gardens there's a specific walk (the Flower Walk) with signs everywhere not to feed the animals-and everything's very tame -pigeons (that everyone ignores), squirrels and of course the parrots:

and foxes too. Chances of seeing one coming home from a night out = 100%. I photographed this fella in my local train station, the world's busiest:

My last house made friends with a squirrel family

In Regents Park snapped this by the lake, about 6 goslings wandering about the picnickers.

On the bridge over the Serpentine (Hyde Park) there's a heron that waits on the corner, at eye height. Very tame, worked out passersby on the busy road will feed it.

Last edited by muppet; Sep 25, 2022 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:24 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Vancouver has a lot. Bears, raccoons, cougars, skunks, otters, beavers, coyotes, squirrels, seals, whales, hawks, eagles......

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post

and foxes too. Chances of seeing one coming home from a night out = 100%. I photographed this fella in my local train station, the world's busiest:

That's Shinjuku station?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

after going to see father john misty at radio city and then hanging out in midtown awhile afterwards, we saw a giant freakin racoon as big as a german shepard poking around whitehall street in downtown manhattan at like 2am on our way to the ferry. it was yuuuuge. that was an eye opener.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:28 AM

I'm used to the variety and amount of Austin's wildlife that mingles with its residents, but I had never seen a heron until a couple of days ago. It was enormous. I've read that they can have a wingspan of 80 inches. I estimated a five or six foot wingspan for this one. It lit at the top of a tall tree across the street. I didn't even know what it was until I went inside and did some research.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:17 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That's Shinjuku station?
Multiple ways to measure 'busiest'. Clapham Junction - it's not the busiest in passengers, which is of course Shinjuku, but pre-pandemic it was the busiest in rail traffic (or at least used to be). Nowadays it's fallen to 2,000+ trains a day, or every 15-30 seconds.

https://www.rediff.com/business/slid...s/20140506.htm

http://www.historyworld.net/Articles...id=zab&pid=749

Last edited by muppet; Sep 25, 2022 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I'm used to the variety and amount of Austin's wildlife that mingles with its residents, but I had never seen a heron until a couple of days ago. It was enormous. I've read that they can have a wingspan of 80 inches. I estimated a five or six foot wingspan for this one. It lit at the top of a tall tree across the street. I didn't even know what it was until I went inside and did some research.
Herons are one large bird I see regularly when I am back home in Austin, less so in San Antonio but still present there as well. Chihuahuas, specifically, have a feral breeding population in San Antonio. They are everywhere. Alligators are native just downriver from both and a transient presence occasionally. Further south in a small town called Three Rivers at Choke Canyon there are South Texas's largest alligators and alligator gar.

The Austin area has the one of the world’s largest number of endemic non-tropical songbird species, which are protected in the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge. If you like bird watching, Austin is a wonderful place to visit.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 25, 2022 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:38 AM
Meh

Speaking of birds, I saw this barred owl last week in our backyard. It swooped down and landed on the powerlines. They make a pretty awful sound. I wasn't sure what it was I was hearing one night, and it turns out it was one of these. They sound more like a fox.

We also have great horned owls around. These are bigger and they're the ones that make the classic "hooting" calls.

There were 4 of them that year. I heard one a few nights ago and our dog was going nuts barking at it.

And there are red-tailed hawks around, too.

Merlin falcon.

Woodpecker.

Hummingbird. We have several that come into the yard.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:40 AM

Berlin has a good collection of urban forests and lakes, which invite some fun wildlife to rub shoulders with the city's many rats, pigeons, crows, magpies, sparrows, and starlings. Foxes, rabbits, and racoons are common. Hedgehogs are shy but if you're out in a park at night you might be lucky enough to see one. Around dusk, bats start to replace swifts in the air. Swans dominate the Landwehr canal but leave enough space for coots, mallards, and mandarin ducks. On lakes you'll likely see cormorants and herons too, and turtles emerge to sun themselves on logs. Hear rustling in the bushes? It's probably a blackbird but it might be a squirrel--which are incredibly cute in Berlin, with deep red fur, long tufts on the ears, and bushy tails. If you look out for birds, you'll see tawny jays, nuthatches, and a variety of finches, tits, and woodpeckers. Not all tits and peckers in the Berlin wild, however, are fairly classifiable as wildlife, but belong rather to elderly East Berliners who treat them to sun and fresh air during summer months.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:52 PM

Cats, so many goddamn cats.

Phoenix is overrun by feral cats. People insist on feeding them.

The edges of town are of course your Coyotes, Javalinas snakes etc. Javalinas are probably the weirdest thing people dont expect, they are hairy pigs and they love to eat Jack-o-lanterns:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:36 PM
if I sang out of tune

Javalinas, never heard of them OMGGGGG they are adorable

Are they peccaries?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:57 PM
BANNED

I saw a field mouse waiting for a jet at ohare one time.

Otherwise, just this

Video Link

Had another bird stop by, looked like a pokemon. Have to dig up that picture.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:59 PM

I live in a very close suburb right next to Minneapolis and we have foxes, squirrels (TONS of them), rabbits (again, a LOT), ground squirrels, chipmunks, moles, mice, and the occasional deer. We also have a LOT of birds...eagles, hawks, cormorants, wild turkeys, ducks, geese, and even a pileated woodpecker (among many, many others).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post

Are they peccaries?
You would be correct they are pretty cute and generally harmless

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:33 PM

I’m sure this has been mentioned already, but for the 2nd largest city in the US, LA has some crazy city wildlife. Watch your Chihuahua dogs. You never know what kind of crazy creature will snatch them up. The mountain lions alone can snatch you up. The bears might take a dip in your pool. The extra large coyotes will troll your dogs, if they don’t eat them.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
I’m sure this has been mentioned already, but for the 2nd largest city in the US, LA has some crazy city wildlife. Watch your Chihuahua dogs. You never know what kind of crazy creature will snatch them up. The mountain lions alone can snatch you up. The bears might take a dip in your pool. The extra large coyotes will troll your dogs, if they don’t eat them.
Absolutely! The LA area is a massive bio diversity hot spot. Hell, we even had a wolf get very close to the LA county border earlier this year before it was unfortunately hit by a car and killed . It got to the base of the grapevine in Lebec for those familiar with the area.

Also, for those interested, the LA area used to have MASSIVE grizzly bears up until as late as the 1910s, from Long Beach to the LA River and of course our mountains.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/a...s-angeles-area

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions