HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I've literally never heard anyone complain that there was not enough rail service to JFK. And that's because there is plenty of rail service to JFK.
Now there's Uber-like helicopter service there too: https://www.blade.com/airport_bookings/airports/new

Quote:
fly between Manhattan and JFK for $195 six days a week. Our regular by-the-seat BLADE Airport service between West 30th Street and JFK is available 7 AM to 7 PM on weekdays and 3 PM to 7 PM on Sundays. Service to Newark, LaGuardia, and other airports will resume fall of 2021. Private, Crowdsource and Shared Charter remain available to all area airports.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I've literally never heard anyone complain that there was not enough rail service to JFK. And that's because there is plenty of rail service to JFK.
The simple reality is that New York hasn’t kept up with the pace of modernisation and infrastructure developments elsewhere in the world. If there was plenty of rail service to JFK and New York’s other airports, i) the mode share of people using rail would be far higher relative to international peers, and ii) there wouldn’t be a thing called AirTrain (or in the case of La Guardia: nothing).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
The simple reality is that New York hasn’t kept up with the pace of modernisation and infrastructure developments elsewhere in the world. If there was plenty of rail service to JFK and New York’s other airports, i) the mode share of people using rail would be far higher relative to international peers, and ii) there wouldn’t be a thing called AirTrain (or in the case of La Guardia: nothing).
The JFK Airtrain isn't even 20 years ago. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. You've clearly never even been to New York, lol.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 12:11 PM

The JFK Airtrain isn't even 20 years ago. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. You've clearly never even been to New York, lol.[/QUOTE]I don’t know what is more confusing from your post; validating my point that AirTrain exists in the first place because of the lack of investment and forward thinking, that there hasn’t been subsequent investment to replace it, or that you actually believe that the AirTrain is a direct rail service from JFK to Manhattan, all finished off with a fatuous claim.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
I don’t know what is more confusing from your post; validating my point that AirTrain exists in the first place because of the lack of investment and forward thinking, that there hasn’t been subsequent investment to replace it, or that you actually believe that the AirTrain is a direct rail service from JFK to Manhattan, all finished off with a fatuous claim.
Thanks for exposing that you don't know what you're talking about lol. I guess that's where this conversation shall end.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
The simple reality is that New York hasn’t kept up with the pace of modernisation and infrastructure developments elsewhere in the world.
That's true throughout the US, not just in the case of New York. It is not simply that New York hasn't kept up, but rather that a nation that is fully hampered by a federal system that is the key component of making large-scale modernization of infrastructure possible.

It's happening, but it's incremental... just as infrastructural development has occurred over comparably-sized regions (i.e., Europe) over time. And when the US matures enough in this area, the collective results will be innovative and best in the world... just like the universities are.

Back to thread topic.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
That's true throughout the US, not just in the case of New York. It is not simply that New York hasn't kept up, but rather that a nation that is fully hampered by a federal system that is the key component of making large-scale modernization of infrastructure possible.
It is not more convenient to get from central London to Heathrow than it is to get from Midtown Manhattan to JFK. The entire premise to his argument is absurd, and I know because I have personally taken the trains to/from JFK, EWR, Heathrow, and Charles de Gaulle, many times. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and it just picking up talking points he's read online about lack of rail connectivity to LGA and attributing it to JFK and EWR.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
It is not more convenient to get from central London to Heathrow than it is to get from Midtown Manhattan to JFK. The entire premise to his argument is absurd, and I know because I have personally taken the trains to/from JFK, EWR, Heathrow, and Charles de Gaulle, many times. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and it just picking up talking points he's read online about lack of rail connectivity to LGA and attributing it to JFK and EWR.
and also -- like it really matters if you have to take airport rail transit to your terminal from another terminal, a parking lot or a transit station.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
That's true throughout the US, not just in the case of New York. It is not simply that New York hasn't kept up, but rather that a nation that is fully hampered by a federal system that is the key component of making large-scale modernization of infrastructure possible. It's happening, but it's incremental... just as infrastructural development has occurred over comparably-sized regions (i.e., Europe) over time. And when the US matures enough in this area, the collective results will be innovative and best in the world... just like the universities are. Back to thread topic.
The US probably needs multiple New Deal solutions to catch-up to the level of infrastructure found across much of Europe. It isn’t even a case of building fast sparkly HSR networks, but the gulf when it comes to paved and well maintained roads, modern airports, dependable and prevalent train services, reliable electricity transmission, safe water supplies (e.g. Flint), etc…

Quote:
It is not more convenient to get from central London to Heathrow than it is to get from Midtown Manhattan to JFK. The entire premise to his argument is absurd, and I know because I have personally taken the trains to/from JFK, EWR, Heathrow, and Charles de Gaulle, many times.
In my previous post, I wasn’t confused due to a lack of knowledge on my part, but the absence of a coherent point from you. If two direct rail lines (one of which is being upgraded (Crossrail) and a third proposed) versus zero, accommodative rolling stock, quicker journey times, and a far higher transit mode share, is somehow indicative of not being ”more convenient”; I’m not sure how you define convenience.

Quote:
He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and it just picking up talking points he's read online about lack of rail connectivity to LGA and attributing it to JFK and EWR.
Anyone with competent mental faculties wouldn’t make this comment having quoted me saying the opposite literally three days ago (post 222).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
and also -- like it really matters if you have to take airport rail transit to your terminal from another terminal, a parking lot or a transit station.
With the boom in global aviation and the subsequent demand to move large volumes of people between airports and city centres, direct rail links have come to be viewed as the most efficient method to meet this goal. A more prominent environmental agenda only adds to the momentum. Heathrow as an example has a target of attaining a 50% public transport share by 2030; which would be entirely improbable without direct rail links to Central London. Ironically coming back to the conversation around universities, a proposed tunnel from Heathrow could enable direct services to Oxford.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Yeah, seriously. JFK is connected to Manhattan via four subway lines, and nearly every Long Island Railroad train line. But because it's not a "direct connection" it's not as good as the two lines that connect to Heathrow lol.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:17 PM

I really love the University of Texas, it's awesome! I loved my university very much, but I had trouble reading literature. I couldn't find enough time to read books. In the last years of my studies I started using the service with summary samples for example if i stay summary with detailed information about book. This way I was able to quickly and qualitatively learn information about a book without reading it completely and it helped me improve my grades.

Last edited by TroyBaker; Jun 10, 2022 at 8:10 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions