HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Shouldn't an MD be equivalent to a PhD and a JD equivalent to a Master degree? Otherwise, that doesn't seem to make sense.
Why do you say that? Both are professional schools and not research degrees.

The professional degree is kind of its own thing that doesn't neatly fit the bachelor's/master's/doctorate hierarchy of academia.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:11 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Shouldn't an MD be equivalent to a PhD and a JD equivalent to a Master degree? Otherwise, that doesn't seem to make sense.

21% PhDs or equivalents sounds really high, even in the context of a highly educated census block.
yeah, I guess the ACS probably has pretty large error bars at the census block level, but here's what it says (yes, 3/4 of it is parkland and the only residences are in small area on the left):

It's not surprising that there are 30%+ PhD areas in Hyde Park and other places with "professor rows" but my census block group is not like that at all...

(I guess another source of error might be that their denominator is way off...)

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Feb 7, 2023 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
As a former Tennessean, I'm just happy to see we're no longer in the bottom 20%! Low bar... I know.
I think the explosive growth in Nashville has played a big role in pulling Tennessee out of the perennial Bottom 10

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Why do you say that? Both are professional schools and not research degrees.

The professional degree is kind of its own thing that doesn't neatly fit the bachelor's/master's/doctorate hierarchy of academia.
I'm not saying they're "the same", but if you were going to bin them with Master and PhD, you'd probably put JD with Master and MD with PhD. Law is 2-3 years, more similar to Master, MD is 4+ years, more similar to PhD. MD and PhDs are doctors, lawyers aren't.

There is also a JSD, which is basically an attorney equivalent to PhD.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying they're "the same", but if you were going to bin them with Master and PhD, you'd probably put JD with Master and MD with PhD. Law is 2-3 years, more similar to Master, MD is 4+ years, more similar to PhD. MD and PhDs are doctors, lawyers aren't.

There is also a JSD, which is basically an attorney equivalent to PhD.
JD is a doctorate.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
JD is a doctorate.
Yes, it's a Juris Doctor, but not a Doctorate of Law. No lawyer considers himself a Dr. and there's already a program for lawyers who wish to have a PhD level degree.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's a Juris Doctor, but not a Doctorate of Law. No lawyer considers himself a Dr. and there's already a program for lawyers who wish to have a PhD level degree.
Juris doctor is equivalent to doctor of law in the United States. Doctor of judicial science is something different. The reason lawyers don't use the "doctor" title is out of tradition and because all lawyers aren't JDs. Doctors degrees require bachelors degrees as prerequisites. Masters degrees do not necessarily require a bachelors, although individual programs can require it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:51 PM

Here's how the ACS poses the question:

No schooling completed
Nursery school
Grades 1 through 11
12th grade—no diploma
Regular high school diploma
GED or alternative credential
Some college credit, but less than 1 year of college
1 or more years of college credit, no degree
Associates degree (for example: AA, AS)
Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Professional degree beyond bachelor’s degree (for example: MD, DDS, DVM, LLB, JD)
Doctorate degree (for example, PhD, EdD)

https://www.census.gov/topics/educat...ent/about.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 8:00 PM

EdD should be Master level. It's basically a credential tool for K-12 school principals and superintendents.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 8:39 PM

It's an imperfect system of classification.

Chiropractors possess professional doctorates as well, superficially "equivalent" to the MD or DDS. But they're quacks and no serious science-based university has a chiropractic school. I can understand why physical therapists feel compelled to up to their own doctorate when chiropractors have been getting away with "Dr." for years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people still confuse "educated" with intelligence...
What are you talking about? I didn't get anything confused. I just said I was surprised by a few of the rankings.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:43 PM

If you don't feel like loading the article, here's an easy workaround. Take a map of the presidential elections. Red states are at the bottom and blue states are at the top.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
What are you talking about? I didn't get anything confused. I just said I was surprised by a few of the rankings.
It was a general statement directed at the public at large but if you thought it was meant towards you....then that's on you.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Juris doctor is equivalent to doctor of law in the United States. Doctor of judicial science is something different. The reason lawyers don't use the "doctor" title is out of tradition and because all lawyers aren't JDs. Doctors degrees require bachelors degrees as prerequisites. Masters degrees do not necessarily require a bachelors, although individual programs can require it.
Neither do law degrees and in most other countries, they are at a bachelor's level. Same with medical degrees. It's only the US and a few others that they are elevated (prestige?) to graduate level. A lot of professional degrees have been elevated in a similar fashion in recent years; for example to become a pharmacist, it was professional level bachelors degree (similar to B.Arch) but now is a professional doctorate (Pharm.D).

A J.D. is entry level for law. An LLM (master of law) is pretty common step up.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:25 PM

In part, it's because specialization traditionally occurred earlier in North America than in Europe. You do your "general education" in high school in Europe, while undergrad you study your subject.

The difference between Yale and Oxford described here:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2010/...yales-breadth/

Other nations have been moving closer to the American model in recent years however.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:20 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Los Alamos.
Los Alamos, Sandia National Laboratories, and "The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque operates 2 of the Air Force’s 7 technical directorates: Directed Energy and Space Vehicles"

Also 3 research universities and other related institutions. New Mexico has a lot of really smart scientific minds for a small state... of only 2.1 million!
I found this interesting. Los Alamos (LANL) supercomputer, Trinity (named after Trinity atomic bomb tests) is in the process of being replaced by Tycho, a supercomputer that will be 4x faster when completed.
The LANL computer is currently the 27th fastest in the world and was once #6 when it was installed 8 years ago.
https://discover.lanl.gov/news/1020-...omputer-tycho/

Last edited by Wigs; Feb 7, 2023 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:23 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Los Alamos, Sandia National Laboratories, other related institutions. New Mexico has a lot of really smart scientific minds for a small state... of only 2.1 million!
Not to mention it produces the purest meth on the planet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Neither do law degrees and in most other countries, they are at a bachelor's level. Same with medical degrees. It's only the US and a few others that they are elevated (prestige?) to graduate level. A lot of professional degrees have been elevated in a similar fashion in recent years; for example to become a pharmacist, it was professional level bachelors degree (similar to B.Arch) but now is a professional doctorate (Pharm.D).

A J.D. is entry level for law. An LLM (master of law) is pretty common step up.
JDs do require a bachelors. That's why they are doctors degrees. LLMs don't and that's why they are masters degrees.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:27 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
JDs do require a bachelors. That's why they are doctors degrees. LLMs don't and that's why they are masters degrees.
They are not a doctorate in the same manner as a PhD or even an MD. They are entry level professional degrees and you technically can go to law school without a BS/BA though extremely rare. Just as it is rare for someone to get a masters without one as well. Hell, in CA, you can pass the bar without even going to law school.

An LL.M. is a Masters of Laws which is step up from an LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) which was the standard for practicing law before it was phased out 60 years ago in lieu of the JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Facts

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions