HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: If you won lottery money, would you move to a new locale?
Nah, I'm good where I'm at 58 65.91%
Probably, I do have a "dream" city 15 17.05%
Hard Yes, I can't leave fast enough 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
for like 99.9% of the this planet's inhabitants, $5M is absolutely life changing money.

but not including SSP's own out-of-touch army, of course.
I'd even add other 9s there.

It's big money. In Brazilian Real, it's R$ 26 million yielding 3.6 million/year in public bonds, risk-free. Minimum wage here is R$ 15,000/year. Median, around R$ 25,000.

With yields only, we could buy a massive penthouse on the most upscale districts of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Every year.

Last edited by Yuri; Sep 30, 2022 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:57 PM

I would stay in Atlanta and buy a $1 million apartment in Seoul and spend maybe 3-4 months of the year there.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:27 PM

This is an interesting scenario, given it's not enough to completely retire (possibly) nor live in any and all possible dream locales.

I think I'd keep my current situation exactly as it is for the most part, with the possibility of retiring and having the ability to spend more time in northern AZ during the summer months especially.

I'd probably look into buying some decent sized land in the midwest or plains.

If I was younger or single with no children and no roots it could be different.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:34 PM

Yes, I would probably move to Laguna Beach.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...-record-142109

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:00 PM

So it obviously depends on what level lottery we're talking about but assuming it's enough that I don't have to work anymore, I'd stay in Philly (obviously in upgraded digs) but would definitely not go overboard on any one property. There's so many amazing places in this world, I can't envision myself anchoring myself to any one or two homes. Especially once the kids grew up, I'd probably end up staying in Philly for no more than half the year.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:06 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I would 100% Buy

A condo in Philly
A beach house in Miami or Fort Lauderdale
A Crib in LA
A Farm in the Midwest or Down South
And a brownstone in NYC

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'd buy a house in Flagstaff, but I have no desire to move.
Hope we don't win the lottery at the same time, we might be competing for the same house .

I don't think I'd want to move out of Arizona and too far from family/friends, but I'd definitely be looking at moving out of the Valley and up to Flagstaff. Maybe up 89 off Copeland where the fire was recently, or maybe in town (although some of the places in town would take a pretty hefty chunk out of that $5m).

There are some neighborhoods in Tempe I would consider as well. In general I'd be looking for an incremental step up to my ideal rather than a wholesale change.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:17 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I would 100% Buy

A condo in Philly
A Crib in LA
And a brownstone in NYC
You're not getting that for $5 million.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yeah, you might be able to buy one of those things lol. Maybe $5 million could cover a condo in Philly and a nice farm in the Midwest. But a brownstone in livable condition in NYC is going to easily eat up $5 million.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 7:50 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Hope we don't win the lottery at the same time, we might be competing for the same house .

I don't think I'd want to move out of Arizona and too far from family/friends, but I'd definitely be looking at moving out of the Valley and up to Flagstaff. Maybe up 89 off Copeland where the fire was recently, or maybe in town (although some of the places in town would take a pretty hefty chunk out of that $5m).

There are some neighborhoods in Tempe I would consider as well. In general I'd be looking for an incremental step up to my ideal rather than a wholesale change.
I didn't think the flooding in Timberline and Doney Park could be any worse than what I witnessed in the aftermath of the Schultz Fire in 2010 (I worked at Coconino County Public Works at the time) but its somehow worse this time around. Just absolutely catastrophic, and I've got tons of coworkers who live up that way who had to create a fortress of concrete barriers and sand bags around their properties.

Not too many places in-town would set you back $5 million, although the cost of living sometimes makes it feel that way ("California prices at Arizona wages!"). I'd prefer to be somewhere close to downtown, like Townsite, Cherry Hill or NoHo/Hospital Hill. No idea what's going to happen (if anything, given the town's continued desirability) as the real estate market cools.

And then there's water, or lack thereof. We haven't had enough snowpack to keep the reservoirs full for a while now thanks to La Nina, and we're looking at potentially another quiet/mild Winter this year

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 9:19 PM

I'd get a much better spot in Pittsburgh, and grab a vacation home in Utah.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

How about Sedona? The photos I've seen of Sedona show an unbelievably beautiful setting for a city.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 4:25 AM

At my age (76), moving might be quite a bother. I'd likely upgrade my digs here in Austin and do a bit more traveling, including extended stays in some of my favorite locales. I could easily make do with high-end short term rentals or really nice hotels as opposed to trying to set up a new home somewhere.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I would 100% Buy

A condo in Philly
A Crib in LA
And a brownstone in NYC
For $5 Million you aren't getting a beach house in Miami!
It's a Condo for you!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 11:22 AM

Although lots of locals can be stupidly annoying or rude, I wouldn't leave Paris.
It's too much of a fascinating city to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
let's say you got stupid lucky tonight playing the lottery and woke up $5M richer tomorrow morning, are you sticking around your current town, or are you bolting for greener pastures elsewhere in the world?
$5M could buy me a larger apartment. Even though local real estate tends to be ridiculously overpriced, you may purchase something really good and comfy for that kind of money.
Maybe not in the most exclusive districts, but yeah, $5M is still a lot of money to me.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:32 PM

I get the point of the question.

Since I’m not stuck at all where I currently am, an extra $5M of wealth wouldn’t change anything. I’d invest it, and as a result, have a slightly larger portfolio. ($5M doesn’t really buy you that much nowadays.)

If I had approximately unlimited resources though, then that’s a different question: I’d almost certainly relocate. I’d become much more YOLO.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, you might be able to buy one of those things lol. Maybe $5 million could cover a condo in Philly and a nice farm in the Midwest. But a brownstone in livable condition in NYC is going to easily eat up $5 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
For $5 Million you aren't getting a beach house in Miami!
It's a Condo for you!

Exactly. $5M is not chickenfeed but it’s not “let’s do whatever we want” money by any means.

The question could instead have been “would you decamp from your current city/region if you had enough means to do that right now?”

(At least half this forum would likely respond “I actually have the means to change regions right now, if I wanted, but I don’t”)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'd actually return to Houston. I already own a house there and we'd do some renovations and bank the rest of the cash in an index fund.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'd actually return to Houston. I already own a house there and we'd do some renovations and bank the rest of the cash in an index fund.
“There’s no place like home”. Amusing how true this is.

You’re in the Bay Area, but you’d rather live in Houston. You’re only in the Bay Area for $ / opportunity.

Contrast that with, say, what homebucket would say. He would probably not move to Houston, even for a better opportunity than what he’s currently got.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 5:39 PM

I would probably buy a larger place with a view somewhere here in NYC as well as something either in Spain (maybe the Costa Brava) or South of France.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions