HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
Looks like they are proposing to construct 16 new gates in Concourse B East instead of the previously announced 9!

https://www.ksl.com/article/50475200...ility-turns-2-
So today it’s 2 years anniversary at new SLC airport. They are appreciated, hardworking, knowledgeable, and thank you for all you did to new SLC airport. You are hard working!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:19 AM
Lahaina Strong

I posted here a few months ago, but here are some details about the proposed expansion.

Note that this phasing includes an extension of the Central Tunnel in anticipation of Concourse C sometime in the 2050s.

And before anyone says words about Concourse D...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 6:39 AM
Exit 298

"The D gates would NEVER happen before 2050"

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:47 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
"The D gates would NEVER happen before 2050"

There is a chance around 2077. I'll see you there.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 3:54 PM
Lahaina Strong

Detailed info on phase 4 from next week's board meeting.

Full res versions in the board meeting packet(PDF).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Full res versions in the board meeting packet(PDF).
Please keep posting the information from SLC board meeting next week. Hope they approved it. I’ll believe it when I see it!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 10:05 AM
Exit 298

A little bit of blast from the past (SL Trib, Nov. 1, 1998):

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:22 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
40 year old facility
Great article, thanks for sharing.

We have a great around here of misrepresenting the age of buildings. Most of the airport was less than 15 years old at the time of this statement. I'm not opposed to the redevelopment, though I do feel like SLCDA always inferred the age of the whole airport based solely on the portion of Terminal 1 from the 40s. My controversial take is that the redevelopment is happening at the right time, doing it in the 90s and 00s would have been premature.

The old airport was more functionally obsolete than it was structurally deficient.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:09 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Great article, thanks for sharing.

We have a great around here of misrepresenting the age of buildings. Most of the airport was less than 15 years old at the time of this statement. I'm not opposed to the redevelopment, though I do feel like SLCDA always inferred the age of the whole airport based solely on the portion of Terminal 1 from the 40s. My controversial take is that the redevelopment is happening at the right time, doing it in the 90s and 00s would have been premature.

The old airport was more functionally obsolete than it was structurally deficient.
They were a bit off but Terminal 2 was originally constructed in 1978 to go along with Terminal 1, which was built in 1960. There were expansions and remodels, tho. But 2005 was the original completion date, which would have put it 45 years after Terminal 1 opened and 27 years after Terminal 2 was completed. So, the article hedges a little bit between those two dates.

A big reason the airport wasn't actually built by 2005 was 9/11. Had 9/11 not happened, the original design likely would have been built and we would've had a 17 year old airport on our hands.

Here's what the original airport was expected to look like before 9/11 changed things dramatically (photos are small but what're you going to do):

And I believe this is the exact rendering you see in the Tribune article, or close to it:

Not too different from what we got but clearly a design that utilized more glass and had a much larger main terminal (which some of you have complained about being too small lol).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:41 AM
Exit 298

It's remarkable how the final airport really turned out as an evolution of the 1998 design. It's got the same bones.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
It's remarkable how the final airport really turned out as an evolution of the 1998 design. It's got the same bones.
Not sure how much different any designs could be, considering the layout of the airport and runways. Would have been interesting to know if they ever considered creating a north-south road through the center of the airport to give those passengers coming from the north a way to get to the airport from the north side instead of the only entrance from the south side, then turning the terminals and concourses perpendicular to how they are aligned now, essentially splitting the airport into West and East "halves", with that road going underground through the airport to allow planes to taxi on either side, a la Sepulveda Blvd at LAX.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:31 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

South Concourse East men's restroom terrazzo polish - Sept 7, 2022

Tunnel prepping walkway 5 for pallet install - Sept 7, 2022

Tunnel fire sprinkler install - September 21, 2022

South Concourse East, North C metal panels - September 21, 2022

North Concourse East area H steel erection - September 21, 2022

https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 4:09 AM
Lahaina Strong

Mid Concourse tunnel to stay, Beginning installation of Jet Bridges on Phase 2.

I had been concerned that they would close the mid tunnel when the central tunnel opens, looks like it's a permanent fixture.

South Concourse East begins receiving Jet Bridges. 4 new gates coming in May!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
I had been concerned that they would close the mid tunnel when the central tunnel opens, looks like it's a permanent fixture.

South Concourse East begins receiving Jet Bridges. 4 new gates coming in May!
Excellent news!! Thanks for the update!! So please keep us posted!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:56 PM

Delta Air Lines has big plans for Salt Lake City’s airport. Here’s what the carrier wants to do.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/10/...citys-airport/

Some excerpts:
Delta intends to open a facility on airport-owned property with flight simulators and crew training programs, Department of Airports Executive Director Bill Wyatt told Salt Lake City Council members last month.

The company presumably looked at other hub cities such as Detroit and Minneapolis-St. Paul when weighing where to expand its training operations, Harteveldt said. It landed on Salt Lake City because it has the infrastructure it needs and the ability to get any additional acreage for the new complex at a reasonable price.

Delta’s new facilities are slated for the International Center, a cluster of buildings just west of the airport.

Delta extended its lease agreement that was due to expire in 2024 by 10 years, giving investors more confidence in the airport. No other airline agreed to such an extension.

The company also is poised to deepen its ties to Utah’s capital with a new contract that could stretch its lease to 2054.

The agreement represents an essential piece of funding that would allow the airport to get the bonds it needs to round out construction of concourse B. The City Council last month signed off on allowing the airport to spend $683 million on the 16-gate expansion.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:54 AM

The addition of a third-party lounge is actually big news. I’m guessing it will be in Terminal B which will be fantastic. Even better if it’s part of Priority Pass

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:06 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Apron phase 4 utility install - Oct 19, 2022

SCE PBB delivery - Oct 19, 2022

NCE elevated deck - Oct 19, 2022

Apron 306 placement south - Oct 19, 2022

https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancrocco View Post
The addition of a third-party lounge is actually big news. I’m guessing it will be in Terminal B which will be fantastic. Even better if it’s part of Priority Pass
Actually, concourse, not terminal. This is concourse B.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:40 AM
Lahaina Strong

Check out what's happening behind-the-scenes on The New SLC Phase 2 construction site. - Salt Lake City International Airport Facebook

Wasn't on their YouTube at the time of me posting this.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Check out what's happening behind-the-scenes on The New SLC Phase 2 construction site. - Salt Lake City International Airport Facebook

Wasn't on their YouTube at the time of me posting this.
I saw that! But thanks for posting a new video. So please keep looking for more construction photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West