HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:49 AM

I also love striped curbs. I think I first saw them in Malaysia.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Yes! The water tanks!

Up on the Roof
by bill barfield, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlewis View Post
I have always been a fan of minimalism and I have found that it is being adopted in many modern architectures. Minimalism does not necessarily mean that it completely sheds off the hedonistic appeal. Minimal structures can be quite appealing and be utilitarian as well.

image courtesy: https://theminimaldaily.com/minimalist-architects/
Probably my favorite building in my home town:

MFAH

Bissonnet & Montrose

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

spaghetti junctions are super cool
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:22 AM

Elevated rail lines.

The Loop in Chicago, the curve through Smith-9th in Brooklyn, Line 6 of the Paris Metro past the Eiffel Tower...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:39 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

White glazed brick with red brick:

Terra Cotta:

Steeples:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Delicious.

I'll never be able to get over NYC. Somebody please help me not think about it everyday since I was 11 and saw the old King Kong movie.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those water towers in NYC are extremely interesting. They look so incredibly shabby and low tech. And yet they are ubiquitous, in perhaps what is the richest city in the world.

some background reading on these structures: https://www.6sqft.com/nyc-water-towe...nfrastructure/
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:16 PM
Crane Goddess

^I've noticed those water towers on the roofs of modern skyscrapers, even. I actually want to model and 3d print one at just the right size to hide a Monster can inside of, with the top of the tower designed to screw on or off, with a straw hole in it, so I can use it as a drink holder. I do anthropomorphic skyscraper cosplay, so a water tower I could carry around and drink out of would be hella cool.
Or if I wanna go really hardcore and can access either 3D metal printing, or somebody who knows how to cast metal, take that same design and turn it into a fully functioning metal beer stein with a hinged lid.
Whether a can holder or a full-on metal mug, how awesome would it be to have your very own water tower to drink out of?
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:51 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Anyone want to take a wild guess what is hiding in the towers of the Beresford? (NYC, Central Park West)?

wiki

yup, you guessed it. the famous NYC water towers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Anyone want to take a wild guess what is hiding in the towers of the Beresford? (NYC, Central Park West)?

wiki

yup, you guessed it. the famous NYC water towers.
Yep NY has it all. Thanks I had no idea!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^I've noticed those water towers on the roofs of modern skyscrapers, even. I actually want to model and 3d print one at just the right size to hide a Monster can inside of, with the top of the tower designed to screw on or off, with a straw hole in it, so I can use it as a drink holder. I do anthropomorphic skyscraper cosplay, so a water tower I could carry around and drink out of would be hella cool.
Or if I wanna go really hardcore and can access either 3D metal printing, or somebody who knows how to cast metal, take that same design and turn it into a fully functioning metal beer stein with a hinged lid.
Whether a can holder or a full-on metal mug, how awesome would it be to have your very own water tower to drink out of?
Cool idea.

If you really want to go hardcore, build it like they build the real thing. Just smaller.

Use wood! It will expand and seal. Probably has to be kept wet though. Or maybe you can freeze it. Use metal strapping to hold the wood together? With a hinged lid.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 7:45 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Cool idea.

If you really want to go hardcore, build it like they build the real thing. Just smaller.

Use wood! It will expand and seal. Probably has to be kept wet though. Or maybe you can freeze it. Use metal strapping to hold the wood together? With a hinged lid.
Something that has to be kept wet wouldn't be terribly practical for costuming, but wood is actually a really good idea, I've seen wooden eating and drinking vessels at Society for Creative Anachronism events before, and I might be able to make my own, the only metal parts being decorative banding, a hinge for the lid, and perhaps a liner for the mug itself. That would look pretty damn cool if I can pull it off!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Something that has to be kept wet wouldn't be terribly practical for costuming, but wood is actually a really good idea, I've seen wooden eating and drinking vessels at Society for Creative Anachronism events before, and I might be able to make my own, the only metal parts being decorative banding, a hinge for the lid, and perhaps a liner for the mug itself. That would look pretty damn cool if I can pull it off!
I suppose you could cheat a bit and make it water tight by sealing it with food grade epoxy?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:17 PM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
I suppose you could cheat a bit and make it water tight by sealing it with food grade epoxy?
I've been looking at wooden mugs, and those are indeed coated with food safe lacquer. Some of them also incorporate metal liners, but that might be harder to do out of a home workshop or makerspace. In any case, a realistic water tower mug would be pretty damn cool, and if I can figure out how to produce them in batches without spending dozens of hours on each individual one, I might be able to sell the things, I'm sure there would be takers.

(When it comes to making individual cosplay props for personal use, time spent on each piece isn't as big of a consideration, you just need the one, and you're not worried about charging a fair price for your time. However, if you want to make copies and sell them, then ease of reproduction and time spent becomes a much bigger concern. You absolutely want to keep production time reasonable- you want to charge fairly for your work, unless you like making minimum wage. But at the same time, you don't want to price yourself right out of the market.)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

zzz

Vintage smog.

For the same reason I secretly love walking through a cloud of diesel bus exhaust. I know it's bad and it's not long for this world, which is good, but there's something unexplainably nostalgic about it. Maybe that's just me. Probably just me.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

For the same reason I secretly love walking through a cloud of diesel bus exhaust.
When I smell diesel fumes I'm immediately reminded of Hong Kong or Paris.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's a specific type for me that does it. It's the old 1970's GM fishbowl style buses that I remember growing up riding with my friends. They have almost a sweet diesel smell. The RTS buses also smelled pretty good. These modern tier-4 and cng buses obviously barely smell at all.

Yes, I realize how weird I sound.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Feb 14, 2021 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at wooden mugs, and those are indeed coated with food safe lacquer. Some of them also incorporate metal liners, but that might be harder to do out of a home workshop or makerspace. In any case, a realistic water tower mug would be pretty damn cool, and if I can figure out how to produce them in batches without spending dozens of hours on each individual one, I might be able to sell the things, I'm sure there would be takers.

(When it comes to making individual cosplay props for personal use, time spent on each piece isn't as big of a consideration, you just need the one, and you're not worried about charging a fair price for your time. However, if you want to make copies and sell them, then ease of reproduction and time spent becomes a much bigger concern. You absolutely want to keep production time reasonable- you want to charge fairly for your work, unless you like making minimum wage. But at the same time, you don't want to price yourself right out of the market.)
I'll buy some off you for sure! Awesome idea.

I would get a cad drawing, scale it down and get some square wooden dowels and use a razer blade and ruler to cut all the angles. Line up the dowels and file a couple grooves for the straps. I probably wouldn't line the inside. Just put lots of lacquer.

If you wanted to make a bunch then I would set up jigs and use a table saw. Actually a dremel table saw would be the best I think.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pro...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

zzz

Vintage smog.

For the same reason I secretly love walking through a cloud of diesel bus exhaust. I know it's bad and it's not long for this world, which is good, but there's something unexplainably nostalgic about it. Maybe that's just me. Probably just me.
I love that too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture