Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:28 AM
International

Tasteful neo-historical architecture!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Great update, Hayward!

The University does "old" really well. It doesn't look imitation cheap like you see in faux historic development in so many other places
I agree. I'm really impressed with North Quad and the law addition.

Hayward, how would you say this building boom ranks among the others through history in terms of creating new and/or improved facilities? I know North Campus had to be a huge investment at the time, but the stuff the university is building now just seems so much more quality. Maybe I'm wrong, just an observation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:46 PM

The decade long boom of new and renovated University buildings is probably the largest concentrated effort in University history. I would say it's about to slow down for a bit with alot of the campus being built out now. There will likely be a refresh of renovated buildings on Central campus sometime between 2015-2020. Buildings seem to get rehabbed every 20-25 years.

The Palmer Complex was a huge undertaking as well as practically rebuilding Michigan Stadium, and renovated all the Hill dorms.

New stuff is still being proposed, but it's just modest additions and rehabs. For certain there will be several projects within coming years of new buildings on the Medical campus. A two-building complex across from Couzens and probably additional development along Wall Street.

If anything, the University's efforts for new construction and replacement will happen on North campus. There's plenty of parking to build on and already preliminary planning for new development along the Hayward corridor.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 1:01 PM
Detroiter4life

Chicago-area developers revive plans to build new downtown hotel at 202 S. Division in Ann Arbor
Quote:
The last proposal sought to build 120 rooms in a 9-story building. The main entrance was to be on South Division, with off-site parking offered in the Liberty Square Parking Structure.

City planners familiar with the latest incarnation of the project were unavailable this week.

Under new downtown zoning, the half-acre property could accommodate a 180-foot building, according to city zoning documents. How that will affect the hotel proposal is unclear, but insiders say it’s possible that more height could be added to the proposed facility.

First Hospitality’s plans to revive the Ann Arbor Hotel proposal had not reached some local industry experts.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...-in-ann-arbor/

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 6:05 PM

If I can remember correctly, wasn't some of the concern over the drop off area and needing some extra street space? Well....since then Division has been narrowed. My only concern is that they treat the corner condition well on Washington and Division. Though blank walls are a familiar sight on Washington, it doesn't mean the tradition has to continue, and the old rendering shows just that.

I can't imagine much opposition to additional height, the new student lofts across the street is 12 stories, and probably short of the maximum height by 50 feet. At an average of 9'6" floor-to-floor in a hotel + higher ground floor and mechanical penthouse levels. We could see up to an 18 story building

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:07 AM

New Nanomechanical Engineering Lab at the University of Michigan

And the massive building boom at U of M continues on into the next decade. Sorry they are big. Maybe later I'll resize

Site Plan

Source for all images: Integrated Design Solutions / Perkins+Will & http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscente...mechanicaleng/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:22 PM
Detroiter4life

I have to say Im really impressed with the buildings that UM has been putting up lately. The university really does need to build up the north campus and I hope with the plans for a transit link between the central campus and north campus coming along that will happen.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:40 PM
Detroiter4life

Concerns surround Fuller Road transit center as project moves to Ann Arbor City Council for approval
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com

The proposed Fuller Road Station Phase I project, shown here, includes a parking structure with accommodations for bicycles and buses.

Quote:
A proposal to build a new transit center along Fuller Road was met with some resistance Monday night during a special work session of the Ann Arbor City Council.

While some council members, including Mayor John Hieftje, appear to be in full support of the $43 million Phase I project, it's evident some still need convincing — including Mike Anglin, D-5th Ward, and Stephen Kunselman, D-3rd Ward.

"It seems to me that we're moving ahead on something that may not be of service to the community," Anglin said. "I'm not interested in providing parking for the university."

The city's long-term vision for the area south side of Fuller Road — just east of East Medical Center Drive and in front of the University of Michigan medical campus — includes an intermodal transit facility with accommodations for trains, bicycles, buses and pedestrians.

But a new train station isn't expected to happen until future phases. The first phase of Fuller Road Station, which the council is being asked to approve now, includes a five-level, 977-space parking structure with five built-in bus bays and 103 bicycle parking spaces.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/concern...-for-approval/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:43 PM
Detroiter4life

Ann Arbor officials looking to adopt 'the best design guidelines in the country' for downtown
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com
Quote:
Perhaps the biggest change, however, is the addition of a proposal for a Design Review Board made up of design professionals that would look over projects.

"The success of the design guidelines rests with a well-functioning Design Review Board whose members have design expertise," Tyler said. "The Design Review Board should be people who understand good design and whose advice will be respected."
http://www.annarbor.com/news/new-des...-for-approval/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:46 PM
Detroiter4life

Georgetown Mall owner seeks to demolish shopping center, build $30M retail/apartment complex
By Paula Gardner
January 10, 2011
AnnArbor.com
Quote:
Schubiner showed renderings that displayed a U-shaped building about 20 feet from Packard Road, with about 20,000 square feet of retail space on the lower level and 230 apartments in the floors above. The total square footage is about 300,000.

If plans are approved this spring, Schubiner said he'd like to demolish the former shopping center and the offices behind it by the end of the summer.

The entire project is four stories, though renderings show the appearance of three from the Packard side due to the higher ceiling height of the retail space.

Schubiner also said he has a "financing invitation" for the project from Texas-based Greystone Co.

He and his development team — including attorney Bruce Measom and Anne Jamieson of AKT Peerless Environmental and Energy Services — fielded several questions from the audience in a meeting room at the Mallet's Creek branch of the Ann Arbor District Library as residents asked about building size, parking, timetables and viability.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...tment-complex/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:19 PM
Registered Ugly

Not bad on the Nanomechanical Engineering (whatever that means) building. My only real complain is the same as with most new architecture: I wish it interacted better with sidewalks/streets.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
Georgetown Mall owner seeks to demolish shopping center, build $30M retail/apartment complex
By Paula Gardner
January 10, 2011
AnnArbor.com

http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...tment-complex/
Good to hear news on this, it's been taking forever

In other news, 601 Forest is moving forward:
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...rted-12m-deal/

Annarbor.com

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Not bad on the Nanomechanical Engineering (whatever that means) building. My only real complain is the same as with most new architecture: I wish it interacted better with sidewalks/streets.
I agree. And that area still fails to address the pedestrian level

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
Ann Arbor officials looking to adopt 'the best design guidelines in the country' for downtown
By Ryan J Stanton
January 11, 2011
Ann Arbor.com

http://www.annarbor.com/news/new-des...-for-approval/

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or roll my eyes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:39 AM
Detroiter4life

Vision for Ann Arbor's Georgetown Mall fits city's plan for commercial redevelopment

A conceptual drawing shows what the owner of Georgetown Mall envisions for the property on Packard. Site plans are expected to be submitted to the Ann Arbor Planning Commission this month.

Quote:
Applause concluded a recent neighborhood meeting where the Georgetown Mall owner unveiled his concept for the vacant mall on 6.5 acres on Packard Road.

It may have been a surprise to some, given the concerns neighbors have raised since Kroger left the site and owner Craig Schubiner looked for a solution amid both a global financial crisis and one affecting his property, as the mortgage fell into complicated bankruptcy dispute and late tax debt accumulated.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/post-126/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:44 AM

Interesting to see the Packard and Plymouth road corridors start to bulk up.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:54 AM
Detroiter4life

Fox Tent closing leaves downtown Ann Arbor property for sale as potential development site

By Laura Blodgett
Ann Arbor.com
January 8, 2011

Quote:
Fox Tent & Awning Company, the long running tent rental and custom canvas provider located at 617 S. Ashley in Ann Arbor, closed at the end of December.

Now both the business and the property are for sale, said Larry Zahn, co-owner of Anchorage Realty, who is representing the property.

“This has been a family run business and Ann Arbor landmark for years,” said Zahn. “The current owners David and Becky Fox have retired and decided to put it all up for sale since they didn’t have anybody in the family to take over the business.”

Spanning nearly the entire block, the one acre parcel is bound by South Ashley, West Mosley and South Main St., across from South Main Market on one side and Washtenaw Dairy on the other.

The property includes the entire parking lot on the south end of the block as well as the three buildings currently occupied by Fox Tent, Delux Drapery & Shade Co., and Affordable Vet Services. Those two tenants are occupying their respective spaces under one-year leases starting this month.

The listing has the potential to drive larger-scale development on South Main Street.

Zahn said this property could be the very first parcel to appear under the new D-2 zoning district between downtown and the Old West Side neighborhood, with the potential to be turned into mixed-use development.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...ent-potential/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:34 PM
Detroiter4life

601 Forest: Demolition begins as Ann Arbor's student housing market braces for more change
By Paula Gardner
Ann Arbor.com
January 13, 2011
Quote:
Demolition is under way at the corner of South University and South Forest, 4 years and 10 months after Ron Hughes took his first steps toward developing the 601 Forest student high-rise in Ann Arbor.

That deal concluded Friday, putting the project in motion to open in fall 2012, based on construction timetables.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...r-more-change/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
The new construction, he said, should have a positive impact in those areas as housing is converted back to single-family homes.
Interesting, but hard to imagine. I'm sure the city and permanent residents would love to see that, but the fact remains alot of subdivided houses on the edge of campus will remain rental. What I see as "positive" is that rents in older houses will drop to the level they SHOULD be.

But yes, overall, the impact of this development will be positive. It's going to extend modern commercial space down Forest, and create higher densities of students. I'd love to live here if I was still at U of M

If I'm not mistaken, the apartment building being saved is also owned by the developer? Originally they were going to tear it down when this building was "L" shaped I recall. I'd love to see a taller buidling replace that as well that would act as the eastern gateway to South U.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 6:02 AM
Detroiter4life

U-M Regents approve $52 million renovation of Crisler Arena, new scoreboards at Michigan Stadium
By: David Jesse
AnnArbor.com Staff

Quote:
The project will add 63,000 square feet to the arena and create new spectator entrances, retail spaces, ticketing areas and a private club space. It will cost $52 million, said Timothy Slottow, the university’s executive vice president and chief financial officer.

In addition to the Crisler Arena renovation, the regents also approved new high-definition video scoreboards at Michigan Stadium, Crisler Arena and Yost Ice Arena.
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/u-m-r...higan-stadium/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest