HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the shots, timbad. Always appreciate your updates.

fflint - that is an amazing aerial. Thanks for posting it here.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 8:01 PM
heavy user of walkability

Fourth St

and, the race is on! block 2 got a big head-start on construction, but block 3, with its smaller footprint, is now visibly gaining on it. a couple shots from yesterday show that it has solidly risen above street level. there were workers active on block 3 on Saturday, but I didn't see any on block 2. looking north up Fourth:

and from farther down the street, where the piles from block 5 also let you imagine a little of the streetwall on that side:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 9:14 PM

2121 Third

also noticed yesterday that, after months of inactivity since they demo'd the former fueling facility at the site, there was renewed pushing of dirt going on at 2121 Third (no pic - shadows were difficult), which is close to the corner with 18th St (closer to MB proper than Potrero Launch)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 5:54 AM

Thanks timbad! I hope we get some unique shops and restaurants along Fourth once it's built out.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 6:05 AM

public safety building site, etc

more rebar carpet in prep for the foundation concrete pour on the north side:

and, Muni was celebrating its centennial with historic streetcars along the E-line and beyond - thru Mission Bay in any case. here is one at 2nd and King:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:21 PM

John King on UCSF's hospital garage at MB. I'm still not a big fan, but then again I haven't seen it in person.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ge-4031173.php

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:23 AM

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
John King on UCSF's hospital garage at MB. I'm still not a big fan ...
as someone who has seen it in person, I think it looks better in the photos accompanying the article. I'm appreciative that they tried to do something with it, but I'm with WC - it doesn't do for me what it seems to do for John King (who I often agree with). the one shot of the light in the interior looks like the walk between floors can be neat on a sunny day, tho. ultimately we'll have to see what it looks like once everything else around it fills in (med center phase II and whatever goes in across the future extension of Owens).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

JK Dineen with a blistering assessment of Mission Bay so far. I wish I could disagree with him, but I think he sums it up accurately, especially with his last two paragraphs:

Quote:
There is a lot to love about Mission Bay. It has beautiful parks and spacious luxury condos. It's a wonderful place to ride your bike or put your kayak in the water. No doubt the 1,000 apartment units under construction will lease briskly given their proximity to the burgeoning UCSF campus and $1.6 billion hospital.

Still, the neighborhood is a tough sell for young tech companies that are looking for edgy, urban fabric and abundant public transit. It is well served by Caltrain, but BART doesn't go there. The T-Third line is painfully slow. The architecture is monolithic and bland and (for the most part) no different from the glass boxes one might find in an Orange County office park.
Looking back, it's a shame every block was sold whole. Some of them should have been divided into smaller pieces to create developments with a variety of scale and design on every block.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
JK Dineen with a blistering assessment of Mission Bay so far. ...

Looking back, it's a shame every block was sold whole. Some of them should have been divided into smaller pieces to create developments with a variety of scale and design on every block.
I've been thinking exactly the same thing recently. it's still hard (at least for me) to imagine how MB will ultimately 'feel' (and who all will live there) once it's done - and then after it gets 10 or 20 years to settle into itself - but its big chunks make it hard to see 'character' developing. might have to leave that to its neighbors in Dogpatch and SOMA.

as an aside, about the T... I usually ride on weekends, and am generally not in a hurry when I do, but I do time it. it sometimes has frustrating slowdowns at the crazy intersection of 4th and King, and when it enters the tunnel downtown, but I have found it pretty speedy south of the Caltrain station. I wonder if the delays will improve once phase II is complete, and it heads straight north through the intersection (doubt that), and has its own tunnel to enter (I'm more optimistic about that).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:20 AM

misc

a few shots from a gloomy weekend...

block 13E appears to be done with pile-driving, and has moved on to pipe-laying (looking sort of south, so block 5 piles are in the distance):

a shot of the passageway between blocks 2 and 3 (which is wider than I had thought it was going to be. I'd have to look at floorplans again - not sure if the entrance to the garage(s) will be off that alley-ish thing?), looking east from Fourth:

the vague outlines of China Basin St west of Fourth are coalescing (I wish I had a higher-up view of what all is going on back there. thought I could see more concrete piles lying ready for block 11, but not clear)... looking west:

down at 2121 Third, looks like it's just more demo and clearing of the site for now. looking west from Illinois:

and east from Third:

a glimpse of how Potrero Launch is dealing with the space between it and its northern neighbor (on the left):

since we're in the area, here is how the Saitowitz building on 20th is coming along:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 11:42 AM

a few pics from a not-so-gloomy weekend...

block 2 rising, as seen from the opposite side of the creek:

as I was walking around, I was able to sneak int-- that is, get some shots from angles I don't usually...

over at the traffic circle, one advantage of having it closed off all this time is that the plants have had a good chance to get well settled-in. seems strolling around the area will be a pleasant experience. this is looking west from where MB Blvd meets the circle coming from the Commons:

and looking more south-to-north:

showing the curve of the sidewalk with the swales alongside:

venturing into no-man's-land, here is a look northeast down Long Bridge St from its western end (block 5 on the right):

a look at the state of block 11:

and from what will be the corner of Long Bridge and China Basin St (the future children's park, P6):

looking north along what will be the divider between blocks 12 and 13 (on the right), the future dog run (P5):

Last edited by timbad; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 4:57 PM

MB isn't cut out to be gritty; it's unlikely it will ever become the Mission or Lower Haight. As you point out, the blocks are too big to be fine-textured or cozy; no Noe Valley, Glen Park or West Portal. The structures are not on the scale of the current Park Merced; so not THAT suburban / sterile.

Polishing your crystal ball and looking 40 years into the future, will MB most resemble the Marina? A Marina / Aquatic Park / Park Merced hybrid? The current Van Ness without the Civic Center? UCSF-Parnassus with Dogpatch as it's Cole Valley / Inner Sunset?

No experience with the T, but hope Phase II helps.

Thx as always, Timbad, for your photos of MB becoming whatever it will become.

Last edited by mahanakorn; Nov 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Thanks for the unique and cool perspectives by being our super slueth timbad!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:59 AM

just a couple shots from the weekend...

you can see the future overall texture of the north side of block 2 (along Channel), which is getting close to full height I think:

and over at the public security building, the floor is all poured now, and even some of the walls:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:22 AM

P23-p24

the Potrero View had a story on parcels P23 and P24, in the SE corner of MB, which included the time-frame for their development and their secret use beyond just pleasant open space:

Quote:
...The building site will become a park and storm water drainage site, with construction of the dual purpose land use starting this spring. The new drainage system is expected to be fully functional by the time the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Mission Bay Medical Center opens in 2014.
UCSF Mission Bay sits in a drainage basin; rain water from multiple directions converges on the area. Due to regulatory changes adopted by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, the City’s storm water treatment system is in the process of being upgraded. Ultimately, all of Mission Bay’s storm water drainage – including 55 acres of urban watershed from the Mission Bay South Drainage Basin Area, which extends across the area east of the Southern Embarcadero Freeway, between Mariposa and Third streets – will be filtered through the old Bluepeter Building location, now named “Park P24.”
The DNA-approved park will be built starting next summer, after installation of pump stations during the spring. The site will include open space, waterfront viewing, picnic benches, a basketball court, informal play areas, and host such activities as concerts and picnics. Park P23 will feature an open lawn, paved parking space , and educational panels that explain the natural storm drainage process. ...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:56 PM

Looks like Bosa has started driving test piles for Block 13 West, so that is the project they are moving forward with next, v. Block12. So, next year, there will be 6 residential buildings under construction in that area, plus the children's park. It will look dramatically different by late 2014. Plus, Block 1 will also be under construction in 2014, and possibly Block 7. I'd still like to know when they plan on demolishing those remaining buildings on Block 12 and the future school site. Demolishing those, plus putting the parks in by the overpasses would make such a dramatic difference. Hopefully the retail will fill in right away once those buildings start finishing off.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 3:17 PM

UCSF has issued an RFQ seeking developers able to provide 300,000 square feet of space near the Mission Bay campus, with the possibility of an additional 100,000 square feet in the future.

The project looks to be part of an effort to consolidate leased space that is currently scattered around the city. UCSF says they're looking to move as soon as possible, but if they ultimately select a build-to-suit option they're looking to secure a developer by end of 2013 and project two additional years for construction.

On a somewhat related note, UCSF has also issued an RFQ for looking into reuse options for the Laurel Heights campus. UCSF plans to abandon that campus and turn it over some other use compatible with its residential setting, perhaps senior housing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:10 AM

as Brady73 reported, test piles are going in on block 13W! here looking east down Channel, with block 2 in the background:

here is what Fourth St looks like, looking north:

clearing and excavation seems to be wrapping up down at 2121 Third, or at least they've gotten to a fairly tidy pause:

in other random news, pile driving appears to have been completed on block 5.

to reinforce what Brady73 was saying, it is exciting to think how many projects will likely be underway in, say, March next year:

- block 2
- block 3
- block 13E
- block 13W? (plus P5 dog run?)
- block 5 (plus P6 children's park?)
- block 11
- public security building (block 8)
- UCSF hospital
- UCSF medical building (block 25W)
- P23-P24

...not to mention associated street infrastructure. here's hoping no wind goes out of the sails between now and then.

and, to celebrate that we made it through to the next Maya calendar cycle unscathed , and can now start watching the days get longer again:

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 6:50 AM

As always, thanks for the photos timbad.

Also, an updated rendering of 1180 4th Street:

Source: http://mithun.com/projects/project_d...80_4th_street/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:15 AM

25w

looks like at least preliminary things are starting at UCSF's next building on block 25W, with some clearing and a piece of drilling equipment on site (looking east from 4th):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development