HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
There's really no need for any new streets.
A signs of life with either the 9th Street underpass or Taylor Street bridge? Polk would present a better option for the river crossing, but I doubt USPS would relinquish their entry off the Polk dead end.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 12:43 PM
TL;DR

The planners for CMK are planning around a potential Taylor bridge, if only because there is still a utility easement underneath the old Taylor Street. Note that this is not an active plan really - they just won't foreclose the possibility for CDOT to come in the future and build the bridge.

Polk is similar. USPS doesn't have any rights to a public city street, which that viaduct east of Canal is. There is still a utility easement on the Franklin Point side, which means it is unlikely to ever be blocked by a new building.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ It's not leased until the ink is dry, surely as someone involved in the office market you know that.

And it's not at all racist to resist gentrification because "it changes the fabric of our neighborhood"? That's just code for "we don't like that white hipsters are moving here". Any statement that revolves around race inherently has racist overtones. One can't say "I want my community to stay intact" if your entire community is a single race and not be racist. That's basically saying "if you aren't like us, you are not allowed".

I just find comments like the second paragraph of your post disturbing. Do we really think that "Lakeview is for the gays" and that it should stay that way forever? For a set of voices that is demanding more diverse incomes in our neighborhoods, the anti-gentrification crowd seems to have a huge problem with more diverse sexual orientations, races, religious backgrounds, etc. And yes, when a white yuppie moves into a majority gay neighborhood, that neighborhood becomes more diverse. When a white hipster moves into a neighborhood that is 98% hispanic, that area becomes more diverse.

Also the whole "I don't like the new neighbors" reason for moving is nothing new in Chicago nor is specifically linked to skin color. It's just a part of the lifecycle of cities. Just look at how the Germans and Irish pushed the Protestant old guard of Chicago progressively further north and away from the city center throughout the 1800's. This is what happens when new immigrant groups arrive and it's not about old Polish people being racist, it's about everyone being "racist" and preferring to live near people with the same background as them. The one group that is the clear exception to this normal immigration and assimilation process is African Americans, but that's a whole 'nother wall of text that we shouldn't even get into.

Correct, that is nothing new to Chicago or any other corner of America for that matter. MY point, that I obviously didn't articulate very well, is that the Czechs and Pols left Pilsen because, according to my 88 year old grand mother sister, they didn't like that the Mexicans were moving in. Because they were racist. They wanted the hood to stay the same. Birds of a feather flock together.

The hipster moving in to Pilsen and the Mexicans moving out is different. The hipsters moving in are making everything more expensive. That is the cause the exodus of the current residents. Not the fact that their new neighbors are of different ethnicities. As we should all be aware, hipsters come from all different backgrounds.

The definition of gentrification according to dictionary.com is the the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses. The definition is not moving because your neighbors are now a different ethnicity than you. This was my larger point. That the things you were pointing to in your initial post are two totally different unrelated situations.

And to eases your nerves, no I do not think that Lakeview or any neighborhood is just for gays or just for any one single group of people. I wish all neighborhoods were completely ethnically, culturally, financially, etc. etc. diverse. I think you confused my statement with a personal belief? Maybe? I dunno. Any way, I was just using that as an example. Discriminated against minorities are going to be most inclined to stick together and I thought Boystown and homosexuals was an easy example. You could easily insert any other group and hood into my statement and it would mean the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM

Hello everyone, super duper long time lurker (like 10+ years lol), first time poster. I didn't notice the latest update on this particular infill development in Cabrini but there are tons of details on 873 N. Sedgwick here (pdf) http://www.connectnearnorth.org/uplo...tionsheet1.pdf

also there are lots of pics/plans at this link (pdf) perhaps someone can help me by screenshotting and posting the pics. It appears as though they dumbed down the original design that was shown on curbed a couple of months ago.

http://www.connectnearnorth.org/uplo...and_locust.pdf

Either way this will be discussed at the next Near north side meeting @ 6:00 pm Monday 3/30 at 1111 N. Wells, st., Leslie Hall

Show up and support this! We need more 2+3br condo infill projects in the area, the less rentals and subsidized housing the better.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:44 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Wow, thanks for all of the info, and welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
Hello everyone, super duper long time lurker (like 10+ years lol), first time poster. I didn't notice the latest update on this particular infill development in Cabrini but there are tons of details on 873 N. Sedgwick here (pdf) http://www.connectnearnorth.org/uplo...tionsheet1.pdf

also there are lots of pics/plans at this link (pdf) perhaps someone can help me by screenshotting and posting the pics. It appears as though they dumbed down the original design that was shown on curbed a couple of months ago.

http://www.connectnearnorth.org/uplo...and_locust.pdf

Either way this will be discussed at the next Near north side meeting @ 6:00 pm Monday 3/30 at 1111 N. Wells, st., Leslie Hall

Show up and support this! We need more 2+3br condo infill projects in the area, the less rentals and subsidized housing the better.
Welcome to the forum. Rental and subsidized housing is needed and more density is needed. This isn't nor should it become an exclusive overpriced NIMBY YUPPIE haven.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Michigan Avenue south of river coming into its own
Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune - March 27, 2015

"There are a lot of retailers that are dying to be there, it's just the fashion co-tenancy hasn't gotten there yet," said Luke Molloy, a broker with Cushman and Wakefield, who is representing a property at 300-310 N. Michigan Ave. that was purchased two years ago by Sterling Bay, the prolific West Loop developer. The four-story building, which until recently housed Walgreens, Subway and Radio Shack (only Subway remains), is expected to be demolished this summer to make way for a build-to-suit retail flagship opportunity, Molloy said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...327-story.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:36 AM

Nice!

I like how the article points out the competing interests in the struggle to give the reawakening Michigan Ave south of the river a promotable name. I think Millennium Mile is starting to grow on me, if it has to be the something mile. My first thought was that Mag Mile has such a strong brand identity (it's used a lot in Chicago's tourism ads) that it would be useful to just call it South Mag Mile and North Mag Mile.

Montgomery Mile wouldn't be too bad, since Ward used to live on Michigan Ave across from what's now Millennium Park and he's largely to thank for litigiously preserving the park as we know it today. It sounds less made-up, too, and is respectful to history. I just came up with that idea while I was typing this and I think I love it now.

Last edited by wierdaaron; Mar 28, 2015 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:08 AM
Urbane observer

You mean when a multimillionaire wanted to give the city a stunning new world-class museum, he blocked its way on a matter of principle?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:09 AM

I would just call it "the Ward" then. You could also pay homage to Fort Dearborn , but it think Millennium Mile probably works best since it could be used to describe an much larger section of Michigan Ave.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:12 AM

Quote:
You mean when a multimillionaire wanted to give the city a stunning new world-class museum, he blocked its way on a matter of principle?
If you do something nice to be a jerk, something nice still got done.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
We need more 2+3br condo infill projects in the area, the less rentals and subsidized housing the better.
Probably my biggest pet peeve. This area needs more density, period. The fact that some of us choose to rent vs. buy should make no difference. In fact, I like renters more - they generally don't whine about density and they bring new amenities to a neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:23 AM

Quote:
That multimillionaire was also following the principle of 'forever open free and clear', which applies to Grant Park, not to the parking lot in Burnham Park. Ward also didn't want the park and facilities to be only for the elite of Chicago

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:31 AM

Regardless of whether museums in the park would have been good or bad, the relationship between the park and Michigan Ave as it exists today has a lot to do with Ward, so the honorary title wouldn't be out of line.

They did just name a park after him, so that might be all he gets this decade.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Rental and subsidized housing is needed and more density is needed. This isn't nor should it become an exclusive overpriced NIMBY YUPPIE haven.
im a yuppie (29 does that count) but i sas aint a nimby.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
im a yuppie (29 does that count) but i sas aint a nimby.
It counts... 5 years my junior (damn)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That multimillionaire was also following the principle of 'forever open free and clear', which applies to Grant Park, not to the parking lot in Burnham Park. Ward also didn't want the park and facilities to be only for the elite of Chicago
Only billionaires will be allowed admission to Darth Vader's museum for the 1%.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark wellington View Post
Probably my biggest pet peeve. This area needs more density, period. The fact that some of us choose to rent vs. buy should make no difference. In fact, I like renters more - they generally don't whine about density and they bring new amenities to a neighborhood.
While I fully agree with most of your post, the area has been planned as a family and medium density neighborhood, with already TONS of mixed income housing, so more market value purchased properties of "family size" will lead to more families sticking around once they have kids and don't flee to the burbs because the schools stink or whatever dumb reason they decide to leave.
Renters are fine, but there is less investment in the neighborhood from them usually and they typically won't stick around for the long term to take the time to fix things and make them right in the neighborhood. Most (not all) renters are much more mobile, and younger and this can lead to a neighborhood with not much community or the knowing your neighbors sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:45 PM
The City

^ To Hell with knowing your neighbors.

Great cities should be places where people aspire to be great and powerful, have novel ideas, and consume culture and material pleasures. In doing so, they get pissed off when people are in their way. There is no room for community. Community is for leafy places out in hodunk. Down with community, we must have more density, serendipity, and flow of ideas.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:04 PM
BANNED

^^^ Are you joking? Because if you aren't, that's absolutely foolish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development