HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
SLC isn't DC or Toronto.

The frequencies on both the commuter rail and light rail are INCREDIBLE for a city of SLC's density and the length of time that each train has existed.

Bravo.

I know I've seen mention of several TOD's happening - how successful have these been? What has been the density of these projects?
Hey Gordo, I've posted a couple of video links below of two of the TOD's that are going up. The first one is 'Birkhill at Fireclay' in the heart of Murray, which is about 10 minutes from Downtown. Our own forumer,'Arkhitektor' is personally involved with this one. The second one is 'City Creek', which is at the heart of Downtown.

Salt Lake City Metro - Birkhill at Fireclay TOD - Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

A video tour has been posted of the new Birkhill @ Fireclay development in N. Murray. Click below to see it:

Link:http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...eo.aspx?cid=18

It's the second video that appears with the 'Birkhill @ Fireclay' splashscreen.

The end of the clip shows the plaza that is proposed to replace the current park-n-ride, which will be rebuilt just south of the current site:
Downtown Salt Lake City - City Creek Center - Mixed Use TOD - Under Construction

This is the new City Creek Center, under construction at the heart of Downtown. It will cover 2 1/2 (25 acres) Salt Lake City blocks. Light Rail will pass at both the north perimeter and also through the center. Keep in mind that it is not too detailed yet, as far as the finish materials on the buildings. Materials used will be natural brick, and stone & granite panels throughout, (no overabundance of stucco here, thank goodness.) I apologize in advance, if the soundtrack sticks in your head.

Video Link http://www.downtownrising.com/city_creek/

downtownrising.com

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:07 AM

Those are both quite impressive.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:26 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

I was going to say something about they like 'em big in Texas but then realised we're not in Kansas anymore toto...

They are frigging enormous locos.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:34 AM

Train packed as Wasatch Fronters check out FrontRunner

Audio Slideshow LINK: http://deseretnews.com/photo/slidesh...587,86,00.html

Michael Brandy, Deseret News

Related Story:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695274743,00.html

Last edited by delts145; Apr 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:30 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Very cool. The frequencies on the commuter rail are impressive. But why didn't they use the old station as the hub?

And though this is very cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier
I think all your transit officials should come to Philadelphia!
Then we could have good transit, too!
That's just a ridiculous statement. Philadelphia has far better transit than SLC.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:02 AM

Go, Go, Salt Lake City.
I think it looks great, plus a lot of planning for future lines, that is the wat to think. Hope fully my town Miami, added some light rail and our tri rail commuter line really sucks.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Very cool. The frequencies on the commuter rail are impressive. But why didn't they use the old station as the hub?
Ideally, when the Gateway shopping center was developed just behind the old UP Depot, they would have made accomodations for future rail service to the original station. Unfortunately Gateway was built like 8 years ago and nobody had the foresight or money to make a way to integrate rail into the mix. It would have been a huge boon for the developer to have thousands of commuters each day making their way through the project.

I think that most agree that it would have been awesome to use the one of the two depots in Salt Lake and Union Station in Ogden as hubs, but it would have been wildly expensive to do so, especially in Salt Lake as the tracks have been relocated and neither stations sits adjacent to the line any more.

It would have required going underground with the tracks.
Plus all of the three original stations are being used, either as restaurants or museums or retail and the like. Its not like any of them are just sitting there faliing apart.
In the end, I'm just happy to have commuter rail at all in Salt Lake, and happy that our historic depots haven't been demolished.
Not saying that its perfect, just that I'll take what I can get.

Here is the other depot in Salt Lake (The Rio Grande):

And Union Station in Ogden (Wchich would have been the best candidate for re-use since it is right on the FrontRunner line):

Last edited by arkhitektor; Apr 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:07 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Sure. If the tracks aren't there anymore then it doesn't make sense. That's the right decision.

Too bad, though.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Congrats on the Commuter Rail!

The frequencies are low, but that's probably all the demand there is for the service right now.

I noticed quite a few future LRT projects on the website, how bad are your NIMBYs?

Will Bluffdale or neighbor Draper get future FrontRunner station?

http://origin.sltrib.com/news/ci_9115941%20?source=rv

DRAPER - Bluffdale is the front-runner for FrontRunner despite its best efforts to keep out the high-speed train.
Neighboring Draper would gladly take it - it's working with a developer on a possible station - but the city might not even get a stop. In February, Bluffdale's City Council voted 3-2 to block the Utah Transit Authority from building a commuter-rail stop at 14200 South along an existing Union Pacific rail line. The majority worried the train would bring traffic and other unwanted growth to the semi-rural city of 7,000 people

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:26 PM

Forbes, In Depth: 10 Best Cities For Commuters

Quote:

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 5:31 AM

Cool train, good for SLC. Reminds me of the Rail Runner in Albuquerque since they use the exact same equipment.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Is a train every 15 minutes really that infrequent?
I would imagine that is right about where other cities are with light rail, no?
Every 15 minutes is not frequent for light rail, but it's okay. Some examples from Canada:

Edmonton, Alberta - Peak 6 min, Daytime 10 min, Evening 15 min

Calgary, Alberta - Peak 2-4 min, Daytime 10 min, Evening 15 min

Vancouver, BC (automated) - Peak 90 seconds, daytime 3 min, evening 4 min

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 7:42 AM
no its not...

its amazing what SLC is doing

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 6:22 PM

Good job Salt Lake City!

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 7:41 PM

great work SLC... there must be some pretty progressive planning going on there these days

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 10:01 PM
Exit 298

What I find impressive is that SLC is simultaneously building massive amounts of new mass-transit and road/highway infrastructure!

Mass-Transit:
Airport Line
Draper Line
Jordan Line
West Valley Line
FrontRunner South (SLC to Provo)

Major Road Projects:
Legacy Parkway (A new freeway opening this fall)
I-80 Total Reconstruction and Widening
Mountain View Corridor (New 50+ mile freeway running on Utah County's and Salt Lake County's west sides)
I-15 Total Reconstruction and Expansion (Completely rebuilding 45 miles of I-15 from Lehi to Spanish Fork, in Utah County)
New Freeway for Tooele County

These major projects among countless new arterial and expressway routes, and street widenings.

You add this all up, and we'll be in great shape in the years ahead.

We'll have a great freeway system. A great rail system. And a great network of arterials to supplement it all.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 11:44 AM

UTA/TRAX
Salt Lake City - More neighborhood TOD's completed and under construction

Salt Lake City's New T.O.D Urbanism - Billions in Light Rail and Commuter Rail newly completed and under construction begins to transform a METRO.

- Waverly Station - Newly Completed

As a transit-oriented community in South Salt Lake City's, newest community features townhomes now available for sale. Each of these Utah homes for sale features stone and stucco detailed exteriors, two-car garages, attractively landscaped patios that open onto a courtyard and a welcoming and elegant trellis arch entryway located at each end of the green space. The community consists of 161 homes.

http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...le.aspx?cid=12

http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/De...p%3fhid%3d1460

- Inverness Square - Sold-Out
300 West 4800 South

http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...le.aspx?cid=15

Representing the re-emergence of urban neighborhoods along the Wasatch Front, Inverness Square offers new homes for sale in Utah’s Murray City. Built by Hamlet Homes as the first community of its kind in Murray to embrace principles of New Urbanism, Inverness Square is a walkable, mixed-use neighborhood with tree-lined sidewalks and a common area for families.

As a leading Utah home builder, Hamlet significantly revitalized a former industrial site by building an attractive community with enhanced streetscapes and advanced technologies. Homebuyers looking for new homes in Utah will find unique exteriors that have an urban look and feel including stucco and brick facades. Although these are Utah homes, elevations resemble the downtown residential areas of eastern communities.

Residents will enjoy these Utah homes conveniently located close to I-15, TRAX and Murray City schools, as well as Intermountain Healthcare’s new flagship hospital, the Intermountain Medical Center. In addition, Hamlet’s new homes in Utah will feature innovative, world-class communications, known locally as UTOPIA Community MetroNetTM, an unparalleled broadband fiber optic network that enables users to enjoy the very best in Internet, phone, video and TV services.

Birkhill @ Fireclay Under Construction

http://www.hamlethomes.com/SiteData/...ElevationB.jpg

Walkable, accessible and convenient…the essence of Birkhill at Fireclay, an exciting, mixed-use, transit-oriented development (TOD) community located in the heart of Murray City’s 97 acre redevelopment area - Fireclay District. Designed and developed by Hamlet Homes, a leading Utah home builder, these Utah new homes connect homebuyers with beautiful new townhomes and condominiums, as well as commercial leasing space, which offer the best of urban living.

The Birkhill community provides many ways to ‘get connected’; convenient transportation on TRAX, UTA bus lines and bicycle paths, all within walking distance, and I-15 on-ramps just a couple miles away. Maintenance-free living also connects homebuyers to a new sense of freedom. The community’s new homes in Utah are wired with UTOPIA Community MetroNet’s™ fiber optic communications system to connect family, friends and business via voice, Internet and video. Social connections bring like-minded people together who have sought out an urban, walkable, TOD lifestyle. And, Birkhill is working toward LEED® Neighborhood Development certification, so it’s good for our environment, too

Birkhill not only offers homebuyers a ‘get connected’ urban lifestyle, it also provides homebuyers with an opportunity to be among the first to enjoy its sought after benefits – a centrally located, fun and more-convenient way of life.

The community’s attractive and classically designed Utah townhomes and condominiums intermingle with retail shops, restaurants, everyday services and businesses. Tree-lined streets, sidewalk cafes, and beautifully landscaped parks create a special sense of place and encourage a lifestyle that is dynamic, yet relaxed; a lifestyle homebuyers can truly enjoy.

- KUHRE SQUARE OFFICE/COMMERCIAL - TOD - Under Construction

Again, one of many positive outcomes in the continuing growth around TRAX. Big props to the developer for choice of materials and historical design elements.

KUHRE SQUARE OFFICE/COMMERCIAL. Taking reservations now for Spring/Summer 2008 completion. Live and work in Historic Sandy Neighborhood next to Historic Sandy Trax station. New mixed-use zoning. Office spaces will be approximately 3000 SF and residential units will be aproximately 1500 SF.

Kuhre Square

KUHRE SQUARE OFFICE/COMMERCIAL. Taking reservations now for Spring/summer 2008 completion.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 11:45 AM

TOD - Market Station - South Salt Lake makeover to begin within week / Developers plan 18 acres of condos, office space, retail

SOUTH SALT LAKE — Within a week, demolition will begin on 18 acres of dilapidated buildings and hundreds of square feet of unappealing pavement that sits between Main Street and State Street near 2100 South.
A year and a half from now, the area will be transformed into the beginnings of a project that will change the fundamental character of South Salt Lake, said project developer Steve Aste.

The Market Station development will boast a 27-story plus condominium building and 18 other buildings that will house additional owner-occupied housing units, prime office space and retail capacity.

The project is being built next to existing light rail lines, and tied together with a new Sugarhouse Streetcar to be built within the next five years. The development will be community-centered and is planned to be pedestrian-friendly, providing everything from an urban grocery store to a dry cleaning shop and a hotel within yards of residences, according to draft plans obtained by the Deseret Morning News.

"This is taking an area in a very good location and transforming it into something unique and beautiful," Aste said. The Utah developer has been working on the project for the past four years.

The city of South Salt Lake has been a proponent of the project for years and sees it as a way to bring new businesses, new customers and vitality to the city.
In fact, the city will allow half the sales tax generated by the project to go back toward its development for 15 years. It has also created a redevelopment agency, which has decided to allow the project to retain 75 percent of its property taxes over the next 15 years as soon as the land value in the project area appreciates above 2007 levels.

Altogether the $500 million project is expected to retain $25 million it would have paid in property taxes to the city, county, school district and other special tax entities. The project is expected to retain about $1.6 million it would have paid to the city in sales taxes, not accounting for inflation.

Asbestos abatement is expected to begin this week, to be followed within a few months by bulldozers and wrecking balls. In 18 months, the first residences will be ready for move-in, Aste said. The entire project will be completed in phases and could take years to complete.

"Our project's a go," City Council member John Weaver told six other council members during a meeting Tuesday. "There are some new additional details that need to be hammered out, but no one can say now."

A year and a half from now, the area will be transformed into beginnings of a project that will change the fundamental character of South Salt Lake, said project developer Steve Aste.

Last edited by delts145; May 6, 2008 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:52 PM
New Coloradan

Exclamation Utah may hike gas tax to fund work on roads

The state's 24.5¢ per-gallon levy hasn't been increased since 1995

Looks like we are growing so fast, that we need to pay for it somehow. Now, gas prices are already high enough, $3.55 just down the street this morning. I would imagine most commuters that drive will not be happy with this, but then again, they are the ones that stand the most to gain from new freeways, etc.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...193185,00.html

I am a proponent of commuter pricing, toll ways/lanes that charge more during peak hours to pay for new highways. Subways do it, charge more during peak hours, why not do it on toll lanes. I do not want to see toll plaza's though. That is a thing of the past, windshield fast passes are the only option.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:42 PM

Mass transit
UTA contracts for 77 light-rail cars, options 180 more
Request is the largest-ever order for transit cars from Siemens' plant in Sacramento

New Trax Line at Gateway Photos! by SLC Projects

Trax stop at the gateway, how cool is that.

The New Siemens-S70 arriving soon in Salt Lake City

Utah's rail revolution is about to power up with a massive train order, accelerating the program to a pace unseen at any American transit agency.
The light-rail system that started in 1999 and now runs 69 electric rail cars just ordered 77 new ones, with an option for many more. The initial order is for $277 million with Siemens, and breaks that company's record for the largest-ever light-rail vehicle order, the company will announce today.
It's far larger than Siemens' last order, a 55-car batch for Denver.
The Germany-based corporation builds rail cars in Sacramento, Calif.
"This is a large order," Utah Transit Authority spokeswoman Carrie Bohnsack-Ware acknowledged. "However, many agencies that are experiencing high growth on their systems have larger orders. . . .This is, however, Siemens' largest single order out of their Sacramento facility."
The purchase is part of UTA's "Frontlines 2015" program extending TRAX light rail from downtown to Salt Lake City International Airport and from the Salt Lake-Sandy rail line to West Jordan, West Valley City and Draper. The program and the rail cars are funded 80 percent through local sales taxes and 20 percent by the federal government.
Siemens' news release about the contract lists an option for 180 more rail cars, though UTA General Manager John Inglish said the agency most likely won't use that many. It's common practice to secure more than needed at a good bulk price, he said, then offer the excess to another transit system that needs the cars. That's how UTA bought its first light-rail cars, on an option from San Diego's system, he said.
"I'm not sure why we have an option for 180. Wishful thinking, maybe," Inglish said. "We probably will always order more than we need, in order to get a good buy."
UTA will need the initial 77 cars and more to operate the four new rail lines, though, he said. And Bohnsack-Ware said the option gives UTA wiggle room if the rider response is bigger than expected, as was the case when TRAX first opened.
"If we see this huge crush of riders like we did on the Sandy-Salt Lake line and we need to buy more, then we can," she said.
UTA is scheduled to break ground on the new Mid-Jordan TRAX line today.
Siemens built 40 of the cars already in use on TRAX. They're the newer, sleeker cars as opposed to used cars purchased from other agencies. The new order is for Siemens' S-70, a more rounded model used in San Diego, Houston and Charlotte, N.C. It's also more accessible for those with disabilities because its floor aligns with the station platforms, eliminating the stairwells, Bohnsack-Ware said.
"Winning the Salt Lake City UTA contract demonstrates the confidence our customers have in Siemens and our products well into the future and further enables us to reinforce our long-term commitment to the riding public," Siemens Transportation Systems CEO Oliver Hauck said in a statement. The company has grown its Sacramento work force by 30 percent in the past two years.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation