HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:37 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Yup! Snow, Rain, Hail, Snow Pellets were all seen in Vancouver. That system is now heading south [where they were enjoying sunshine]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:33 AM
David

Had a final exam tonight at SFU at 7:00. It was clear out. I could still see the sun coming in through the glass at Convo Mall

Came out of the exam at 8:15 (yeah, I didn't do well) and it was snowing hard with at least 4 cm on the ground already. Lucky for me, the buses were still running from the lower bus loop but not from the top.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:37 AM

It's 24c and sunny in Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:03 AM

Snowfall warning for: Greater Vancouver
Issued at 9:46 PM PDT FRIDAY 18 APRIL 2008

LOCALIZED SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 CM ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT OVER THE MANY SOUTH COAST REGIONS. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:11 AM

Yeah there are HUGE flakes coming down near city hall. It's starting to stick to sidewalks as well...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:31 AM

3 cms in my backyard! and it's 0c!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:38 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Snow in April? ~ Picture by Me ~ Compressed/Hosted by Facebook ~ 04/18/2008

Last edited by deasine; Apr 19, 2008 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:25 PM

went to a movie in richmond - at 9 pm it was a little drizzly - when we came out at 11:30 it was snowing pretty heavy and the cars were covered in about 1-2 cm of snow

and it snowed heavily all the way into vancouver and south oak street was really heavy, the roads were slushy and huge flakes

it snowed all the way until the granville bridge than it turned to rain and there didn't seem like any snow had fallen but some cars had some white on them

than i drove out to coquitlam and east van was rainy but no real snow burnaby was rainy no sign of snow and than coquitlam was dry no rain and no snow

today its sunny and clear out here not too warm but nice

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 9:06 PM

it has melted.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:01 AM

got of the plane yesterday morning in sandles, shorts and a tshirts...kind of sucked having to go look for my ride outside whith freekin white stuff all around.

I think im going to take a leave of absence from work and move to Hawaii for a bit, got a job and a cheap place to rent all lined up...a decent pay cut($480-720 cash a week, 40-60hrs) but thats the price I would have to pay I guess. Turns out the locals are all lazy and theres crap loads of under the table work, if your willing to get your hands dirty. Now im just rambling.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:06 AM

today was really sunny but really chilly

downtown was really busy and most people seemed oblivious to the weather

some were dressed in shorts and others were dressed like it was 40 below in winter gear

kinda weird

but so different

can't beleive the pics from victoria on the news

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:38 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Video Link

Weather with Aaron Henn sitting in for Kristi Gordon ~ Video Uploaded by Me ~ Hosted on YouTube ~ Source: Global BC/CanWest

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:02 AM

^ you recorded weather? o_O//??????

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:05 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ you recorded weather? o_O//??????
Incredibly bored despite having one very important math test =) I was testing to see if my software for recording flash files was out of date... XD I have a bunch of TTC ones =P

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:30 PM

I gave your video a 1 star rating. -_-

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:11 AM

the thunder woke me up

Wild weather batters Metro Vancouver

METRO VANCOUVER - Hundreds of Metro Vancouver homes were without power Tuesday morning after a massive thunderstorm struck the region.

Many residents were shaken awake at about 5 a.m. Tuesday by rumbling thunder and bright lightning, caused by an unstable air mass hovering over Metro Vancouver.

"It was quite the light show over Surrey," Environment Canada meteorologist Lisa Coldwells said. The weather led to downed power lines in Maple Ridge and Coquitlam, where 593 homes were left without power by 8 a.m. Tuesday.

BC Hydro spokeswoman Simi Heer said extra crews had been brought in and the power was expected to be restored to all customers by Tuesday night. By 3 p.m. Tuesday, only 189 homes were without power.

The lightning was followed by a series of smaller strikes and showers throughout the region, along with heavy downpours in area such as Maple Ridge and Surrey.

"That's the nature of these storms; there's lots of overturning in the atmosphere," Coldwells said. "Once they get going they can produce heavy showers."

In Maple Ridge, 43.8 millimetres of rain fell overnight - with 19 mm falling during the height of the storm between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. About 15 mm of rain fell in Surrey during that same hour.

Coldwells said the lightning was triggered when a cold front mixed with warm air from last weekend and moisture from Monday's showers.

The first lightning struck at about 5 a.m., she said, while the thunder "rumbled through the morning rush, waking people up."

This was followed by a smattering of lighting strikes.

Metro Vancouver usually averages about six or seven thunderstorms days a year, Coldwells said.

The region was already hit with one thunder, lightning and hailstorm this year, on March 27. More lightning was predicted for Tuesday night but was expected to be over the easter Fraser Valley, Coldwells said.

"There is a risk. All we need is sunshine to begin to stir up the moisture again," she said.

The weather office is predicting cloudy with sunny periods for today and Thursday, with sun for both Friday and Saturday and highs of 21 C and 24 C respectively.

Coldwells warns this weekend likely won't be a "repeat of last weekend" as the ridge of high pressure that brings sunny weather is hovering more over the north, and not on the coast.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8-a58aad16c3a8

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:10 AM

Not sure if this is completely true, but it was cold enough today that snow was falling up at Grouse....and the grizzly bears at the mountain refuge exhibit have crawled back into their den and fallen back into hibernation(?).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:07 PM

Wouldn't surprise me. This stuff we've had has been garbage.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:25 AM

the flowers in my moms garden are dying its been so cold

june-uary is a great month so far - not

i have had to put the heat on in my car - its so cold out - and my heat keeps kicking in in my apartment cause of the cold - argh

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 10:59 PM

Today has been a pretty huge improvement.....and it looks good for the next few days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion