HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:14 AM
Dig-it

Condo Patio electrical outlet

Someone here must know.
I have a large patio/terrace as part of my condo, there is an external wall electrical outlet there. Is this billed to my unit or part of the buildings/common space expense.
Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Someone here must know.
I have a large patio/terrace as part of my condo, there is an external wall electrical outlet there. Is this billed to my unit or part of the buildings/common space expense.
Thanks in advance.
You should consult with your strata.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:27 AM

We've drawn it up 2 different ways in the Strata Agreements. One leans towards maintenance use of the external plug, or if there is no perceived need for maintenance to ever use it, we had the agreement written up so solely owner responsibility.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:28 AM
:: slurrey.com ::

Turn off all the breakers in your unit, plug something into the outlet and see if it still gets power

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurrey View Post
Turn off all the breakers in your unit, plug something into the outlet and see if it still gets power
Here's the answer; if you ask the strata they might not actually know and just give a "should be" answer. If the supply is through your unit's electrical panel it's through your meter. If the power remains on at the outlet with all breakers off it's supplied from elsewhere and metered to the building common property.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:40 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurrey View Post
Yes, this is the sure way.
Thanks

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:10 AM

Note: it's generally considered 'bad form' to operate your patio grow-op using the Strata's electricity. Especially if you didn't ask. (True story from the 'things that aren't good about living in a condo' archive).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:28 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Note: it's generally considered 'bad form' to operate your patio grow-op using the Strata's electricity. Especially if you didn't ask. (True story from the 'things that aren't good about living in a condo' archive).

I was thinking about the hot water heater for my "soon to be" Hot Tub

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 2:54 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post

I was thinking about the hot water heater for my "soon to be" Hot Tub
hopefully you dont run into any Strata issues like this guy >>

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-man-allowe...ules-1.6153155

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:37 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
hopefully you dont run into any Strata issues like this guy >>

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-man-allowe...ules-1.6153155
It won't be an issue here. Mine is a large private terrace, my "inflatable" SaluSpa hot tub won't be seen from the street and there are 2 large hot tubs (hard shell) in the building already, so the precident has been set.
My only concern was who will be paying the electric bill to heat the tub's water itself.
If it's deemed a Strata Bill, I will probably elect to donate a couple hundred annually to the contingency fund.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:15 PM

Typically if its next to a patio door it is part of the unit. Would be wired into gfi circuit so could be tied to bathroom. If it’s a strata. Property it may be a strata house keeping plug

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Typically if its next to a patio door it is part of the unit. Would be wired into gfi circuit so could be tied to bathroom. If it’s a strata. Property it may be a strata house keeping plug
I am in a high rise built in the 1970s. Noticed the other day someone with an electric car in the underground parking with an extension cord running to an outlet on the wall. Since we are talking Victoria I am assuming it to charge the vehicle and not to keep it warm.

I am assuming this is going to be an issue going forward as more and more electric vehicles come on the market. The building a 9 story concrete high rise. So connecting an outlet in the garage to the unit panel is a non-starter.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:39 AM

Most stratas will probably look at renovating to 'rough-in' metered electrical hook-ups at each parking stall, and the applicable owner would then install charging equipment.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:18 AM

I believe typical installations have all chargers connected to the building's main supply then users pay the strata for usage tracked through the charger or just a flat fee.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I believe typical installations have all chargers connected to the building's main supply then users pay the strata for usage tracked through the charger or just a flat fee.
I think I mentioned in an EV thread somewhere that I know someone who’s strata was upgrading the electrical into the building and installing wiring so every parking spot could have an EV charger at a total cost around $500k. However there was no cost effective way to have each spot metered so the strata will pay for all the electricity. So, for at least a few years, all condo owners will subsidize EV users.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I think I mentioned in an EV thread somewhere that I know someone who’s strata was upgrading the electrical into the building and installing wiring so every parking spot could have an EV charger at a total cost around $500k. However there was no cost effective way to have each spot metered so the strata will pay for all the electricity. So, for at least a few years, all condo owners will subsidize EV users.
If you want to obtain the BC Hydro rebates, you need to install some level of "smart" metering, which will allow the strata some control and billing functionality.

Of course this all costs a lot more than some wiring and conduit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:21 PM

Good to know, thanks.
I doubt strata owners would approve an unmetered system, at least not until EVs become the majority.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Good to know, thanks.
I doubt strata owners would approve an unmetered system, at least not until EVs become the majority.
Our strata charges a flat rate for use of a shared charger and any 120V outlet you want to use. The infrastructure required for any type of metered billing far outweighs the benefit.

We have 10 people (I think) paying and charging. Our building electricity bills are basically unchanged, it's not even a rounding error.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Our strata charges a flat rate for use of a shared charger and any 120V outlet you want to use. The infrastructure required for any type of metered billing far outweighs the benefit.

We have 10 people (I think) paying and charging. Our building electricity bills are basically unchanged, it's not even a rounding error.
Here's what can happen if the strata decides to go the route of installing individual chargers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Here's what can happen if the strata decides to go the route of installing individual chargers.
How incompetent is that strata and / or the owner that they can't prove whether or not a cheque was cashed or deposited?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion