HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:05 AM

It's not completed yet; Q4 this year is what I've heard.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 6:20 PM
BANNED

It was supposed to be completed in the summer of 2021 but that came and went as did the summer of 2022 and it's still not
done. It looks like it will be done this winter. Here's some enormous pictures of it from a recent trip to the harbour city with a bonus pic at the end:

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Oct 8, 2022 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 7:11 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

These photos are way too large to see on my laptop. :-(

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Yeah I can crop pictures but I don't know how to shrink them when they're gigantic like this but at your end you can change the display resolution and/or change the zoom level if you're using Chrome. My Samsung Galaxy S10+ is old but it still takes huge, high-res pictures but even after going through every option in the camera I still can't figure out how to shrink my pics

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Oct 11, 2022 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 6:30 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's two photos of Nanaimo that were posted on Facebook by Joshua Palmer.
Some of the best I've seen of that city.

Nanaimo by Joshua Palmer by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Nanaimo by Joshua Palmer by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:03 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Well it has been a lot of disappointment with regards to development in Nanaimo after lots of promise it has been a city that does not work very well. I put myself forward suggesting that the potential for this city was great as I believe it was. However with all the talk I have talked about with my previous posts about possible development most did not come to pass (wertman proposal) However, the political climate as well as disfunction within this city have been well documented.

Not to leave you with a negative story of a city with potential. At least after over 15 years of failing Nanaimo has finally opened the new hotel on Gordon street!

Pick your story!

https://www.westerninvestor.com/brit...anaimo-6655446

https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...anaimo-6649987

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news...t-this-spring/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:18 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
The new facts about Nanaimo it has been destroyed and is not a livable city anymore!

https://globalnews.ca/news/9558287/n...homeless-camp/

https://globalnews.ca/news/9548271/n...ss-encampment/

Sorry about being lazy I was only looking at one news agency. Look for yourself to expand the reality of the destruction of Nanaimo outside of global.

This city is a great example of what happens when the left is in charge!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
Well it has been a lot of disappointment with regards to development in Nanaimo after lots of promise it has been a city that does not work very well. I put myself forward suggesting that the potential for this city was great as I believe it was. However with all the talk I have talked about with my previous posts about possible development most did not come to pass (wertman proposal) However, the political climate as well as disfunction within this city have been well documented.

Not to leave you with a negative story of a city with potential. At least after over 15 years of failing Nanaimo has finally opened the new hotel on Gordon street!

Pick your story!

https://www.westerninvestor.com/brit...anaimo-6655446

https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...anaimo-6649987

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news...t-this-spring/
Thanks for posting all those links but that hotel took forever to build, i'll bet Victoria erected a dozen high-rises in the time it took for Nanaimo to put up that one hotel

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 6:15 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I drove up to Nanaimo today to buy a new commercial Toro lawnmower. I managed to take some very quick photos as I had very little time to walk around.

Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Good job Bob, all you're missing is the shot from atop the highway looking down on the city which was a picture you took years ago. Maybe next time

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:49 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Good job Bob, all you're missing is the shot from atop the highway looking down on the city which was a picture you took years ago. Maybe next time
Thank you so much Phil. I really had no time to take photos. I basically drove to a few places and jumped out of my truck to take the odd photo. I'll go back up there again this year just to take photos and spend a good part of a day doing that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 7:06 PM
Project manger

Yeah your city and Kamloops, as well as most cities in B.C. are in the grip of what happens when the left are running the show.
Nothing gets better when they are in charge. The ideas of the left are noble in principle. The problem is they don't work in practice. Giving people free drugs to ........ get them off drugs? That doesn't help in any way.
Not charging people for criminal offences doesn't help keep people safe unless your the one breaking the law.

The biggest issue when debating these things with someone on the left now, is that like most people, they are unable to see the other side of the coin or the errors in logic. We on the right don't have all the answers, we just want what is BEST for the nation as a whole. I don't believe we should be writing rules and law to give a leg up to 1-9% of the population based on addiction, sex, skin color or identity. Truth of the matter 30-40 years ago most fights were about equality, now small special interest groups want preferential treatment over equality. People don't want to be judged based on their merits, because they haven't done ANYTHING to earn it. People want to feel like victims and have someone tell them its not their fault for being an addict.

Guess what ? It is their fault. I'm going to wager only 2-3 % became addicted against their will. Those on the street that once noticed they were addicts of their own doing had a choice. Yes it is a hard choice but we are all faced with hard choices every day.

How many can make the choice to get clean on their own? If they cant do it, then the choice should be taken away. Their rights are not more important then my right to be safe and secure in my city.

You want change? STOP VOTING LEFT.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Yeah your city and Kamloops, as well as most cities in B.C. are in the grip of what happens when the left are running the show.
Nothing gets better when they are in charge. The ideas of the left are noble in principle. The problem is they don't work in practice. Giving people free drugs to ........ get them off drugs? That doesn't help in any way.
Not charging people for criminal offences doesn't help keep people safe unless your the one breaking the law.

The biggest issue when debating these things with someone on the left now, is that like most people, they are unable to see the other side of the coin or the errors in logic. We on the right don't have all the answers, we just want what is BEST for the nation as a whole. I don't believe we should be writing rules and law to give a leg up to 1-9% of the population based on addiction, sex, skin color or identity. Truth of the matter 30-40 years ago most fights were about equality, now small special interest groups want preferential treatment over equality. People don't want to be judged based on their merits, because they haven't done ANYTHING to earn it. People want to feel like victims and have someone tell them its not their fault for being an addict.

Guess what ? It is their fault. I'm going to wager only 2-3 % became addicted against their will. Those on the street that once noticed they were addicts of their own doing had a choice. Yes it is a hard choice but we are all faced with hard choices every day.

How many can make the choice to get clean on their own? If they cant do it, then the choice should be taken away. Their rights are not more important then my right to be safe and secure in my city.

Agreed to the max. Many city centres are way too quiet compared to what they used to be like. They look more like hobo-towns. Shameful that this province is letting its cities and towns become like this.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Interested in what you would do differently than every other government who has a drug and homeless issue in their city/province / state?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:23 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I find it strange regarding Nanaimo. I have a friend who works for the city. He said that one proposal specifically was approved at over 20 stories but the developer came back with a low rise proposal instead consisting of the same amount of units. It is cheaper to build the low rise buildings than the 20 plus story tower. I'm not sure why Kelowna is viable to build 30 story buildings but it's not viable in Nanaimo?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 8:18 PM
Project manger

What I would do differently is introduce a mandatory rehab policy with purpose built structures and structured programs. You dont get to just leave when it gets tough. You are there until your clean. You get picked up again for the same issues and your in twice as long. Every time you get picked up it doubles. It would be about making the right choice for those killing themselves, and protecting the people who actually pay the taxes. The current government model is to put the drug addict ahead of EVERYONE else. I believe in putting the person who contributes, and has a history of being an upstanding member of society at the top of the list. Not telling 95% of people they just have to live in an unsafe place because these special little groups are now more important then them. Whether you like it or not, that is what the government is saying when someone steals your stuff, stabs you and sexually assaults' your wife and does NO jail time. THEY are more important then YOU.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
I find it strange regarding Nanaimo. I have a friend who works for the city. He said that one proposal specifically was approved at over 20 stories but the developer came back with a low rise proposal instead consisting of the same amount of units. It is cheaper to build the low rise buildings than the 20 plus story tower. I'm not sure why Kelowna is viable to build 30 story buildings but it's not viable in Nanaimo?
Nanaimo already has a 22 story building and a 26 story building which is pretty impressive for a city that's half the population of Kelowna

Quote:
What I would do differently is introduce a mandatory rehab policy with purpose built structures and structured programs. You dont get to just leave when it gets tough. You are there until your clean. You get picked up again for the same issues and your in twice as long. Every time you get picked up it doubles. It would be about making the right choice for those killing themselves, and protecting the people who actually pay the taxes. The current government model is to put the drug addict ahead of EVERYONE else. I believe in putting the person who contributes, and has a history of being an upstanding member of society at the top of the list. Not telling 95% of people they just have to live in an unsafe place because these special little groups are now more important then them. Whether you like it or not, that is what the government is saying when someone steals your stuff, stabs you and sexually assaults' your wife and does NO jail time. THEY are more important then YOU.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 4:37 AM

So I had just enough time to get a few snaps of the Nanaimo downtown area at sunset during my trip to Vancouver Island this summer.

Nanaimo Evening Skyline by Ian, on Flickr

Cheers!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 3:43 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Sandstone development in Nanaimo passes public hearing despite concerns

‘Several decades to build’

To say the Sandstone development is massive is an understatement. The proposal includes up to 2,200 residential units through three new neighbourhoods on parcels of land spanning 280 hectares. It would also include 175,000-square-feet of commercial space and over three-million square feet of industrial space.

https://www.cheknews.ca/sandstone-de...cerns-1177933/

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia