HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:27 PM
East End Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's one new item on the Planning Commission agenda for next week - renovation of an existing building and construction of a new structure in Uptown, which in total will provide access to 66 beds for low-income and formerly homeless people. The issue: In a neighborhood full of vacant lots, it seeks to take out all of these historic buildings - late 19th/early 20th century three-story buildings with street-facing storefronts which appear to be completely salvageable (one is currently occupied, albeit by a nuisance bar).

Of course Pittsburgh needs more affordable housing, though I'm a little concerned about what a high concentration of supportive housing in particular is being put in Uptown. But I just can't the rationale for demoing them when literally the other side of the building they are keeping has a large parking lot.

That said, given they are not a for-profit developer, I expect the commission will give this plan comparably little scrutiny.
I couldn't agree more. I have been shaking my head at this one for the last day. The buildings near 1410 Fifth are beautiful and should absolutely not be demolished.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

Oh my god, that makes my stomach turn. How could something so idiotic like tearing down all of those historic buildings even be considered?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Oh my god, that makes my stomach turn. How could something so idiotic like tearing down all of those historic buildings even be considered?
Not all of them. 1410, which is the most attractive of the bunch, is staying. The one next to it is nice and losing that one is unfortunate, but the others aren't all that special TBH.

Not so nice from these angles:

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Apr 3, 2023 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:56 AM

Obviously the backs of buildings like this along alleys like Watson were never meant to be seen by the general public, and are typically unornamented.

But personally, I think the one next to Bethlehem House and the one down Stevenson are both quite fine examples of the architecture of the period, just in need of some TLC in the second case.

And even the less distinguished buildings could contribute to the overall historic feel of the cluster if renovated properly.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 6:53 PM

Taking done those building is so wrong. I guarantee you that even the least architecturally significant building is going to be far superior to whatever POS they put up. it's not only that, but where's the sense of history and preservation. We all know the travesty of the destruction of the Hill, where an entire intact neighborhood was erased leaving it basically barren and lifeless for half a century. This is just another notch down for Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Johnland; Apr 4, 2023 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

Is that abomination approved? I sure as hell hope not.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:29 PM

Even setting aside the issue of historic preservation, this is replacing a potentially highly active half-block or so of commercial storefronts with a social service function on a ground floor, in an area zoned for commercial on a major thoroughfare between Downtown and Oakland. It basically "locks in" that this will always be a dead zone in terms of street life, which IMHO is much more inexcusable to me than anything else.

Add to this the fact that this part of the Fifth Avenue corridor has been given extremely lax zoning, allowing for much taller buildings, and it feels like a nonprofit developer is simply proposing something far from the highest and best use for the area.

There are many, many blocks in Uptown I feel like this project would be absolutely fine, but this is one of the absolute worst to propose it on.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Even setting aside the issue of historic preservation, this is replacing a potentially highly active half-block or so of commercial storefronts with a social service function on a ground floor, in an area zoned for commercial on a major thoroughfare between Downtown and Oakland. It basically "locks in" that this will always be a dead zone in terms of street life, which IMHO is much more inexcusable to me than anything else.

Add to this the fact that this part of the Fifth Avenue corridor has been given extremely lax zoning, allowing for much taller buildings, and it feels like a nonprofit developer is simply proposing something far from the highest and best use for the area.

There are many, many blocks in Uptown I feel like this project would be absolutely fine, but this is one of the absolute worst to propose it on.
100% agreed. Swapping several for one is the core of the crime. It will be deadening. It just blows my mind that a few blocks away the arena site is finally getting it's first bit of new development, after what, 20-25 years of talk. And then this comes along. What is it with Pittsburgh. High rises are continually shot down in Oakland and Shadyside but urban destroying demolition get green lighted quicker than anything.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 8:01 PM

How ironic that organizations such as Uptown Partners, who fought for and won a zombie historic "Tito House" preservation are the same folks supporting tearing down these historic properties. Almost like they don't actually care about historical preservation and just use it to bully other parties.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 9:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Was in the city the last three days.

Took a snapshot of the financial center u/c.

Taken yesterday. Glorious weather yesterday on a side note.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 9:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Just some additional pics to share: Not really of u/c stuff but more to highlight the vibe.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

Just some additional pics to share: Not really of u/c stuff but more to highlight the vibe.

Great shots and a blue sky as well. I've always loved Gateway Center for its mid-century aesthetic.

That MacDonalds site is begging for redevelopment. It's like, "welcome to Pittsburgh! Have a big mac."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 12:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
That pos ghetto McDonald’s is closing, I believe this month; so thank god. I’ve always thought it was trashy and provided a horrible entrance to downtown Pittsburgh.

It was funny when the story of that McDonald’s closing last week on Facebook had the usual suspects who hate bike lanes, lamenting the close of the McDonald’s. Saying they had fond memories of going there in the 80s and 90s. Can’t say I have any fond memories of ever going to a disgusting McDonald’s.

Here’s a link from two weeks ago about that McDonald’s soon

https://triblive.com/business/mcdona...rgh-to-vacate/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Great photos Chris! I miss when I lived ~1 hour away and would visit Pittsburgh often. I need to get back here sometime soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
^
That pos ghetto McDonald’s is closing, I believe this month; so thank god. I’ve always thought it was trashy and provided a horrible entrance to downtown Pittsburgh.

It was funny when the story of that McDonald’s closing last week on Facebook had the usual suspects who hate bike lanes, lamenting the close of the McDonald’s. Saying they had fond memories of going there in the 80s and 90s. Can’t say I have any fond memories of ever going to a disgusting McDonald’s.

Wow. That's great news for potential redevelopment. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 11:19 AM

Not a surprise, but the new Pitt sports complex discussed above got Planning approval:

https://triblive.com/sports/college/...er-in-oakland/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:29 AM

Quote:
^

I totally agree with you about a horrible entrance to downtown. A close second would probably be a bank storefront, which sounds like that’s most likely the plan for Nicholas…

Much like most have said above about that Uptown project and several other projects recently, there’s nothing more frustrating than continuing to see these swing and miss opportunities throughout the city. The old mellon/citizens bank building would be another great example. I don’t get why these messes continue to happen.

Then again, I guess not every project can be as exciting as the tower at pnc 😞

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Some crappy phone photos I took today.

Untitled by PittsburghMarbles, on Flickr

FNB Bank Tower

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:21 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:05 PM

I got this "suggested" post on FB.

This picture shows the new tower as more visible than I would have thought from a distance.

Here's the full post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...59830130859339

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations