HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 8:32 PM

The Weather Network is now forecasting a Monday high of 47 C (53 humidex) for Abbotsford.

But then the drop off is more dramatic for Tuesday with a high of only 35 C.

And back in Portland, their forecast for Monday is now 49 C. Also with a dramatic drop off on Tuesday to only 35 C.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 9:26 PM

they have changed Coquitlam again, today they are now saying it will hit 44 on Monday, it was originally 40, then 43.

Currently;y in Surrey it's 38 with a real feel of 40.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 10:11 PM

Surrey, BC Weather
Updated on Sun., Jun. 27, 2:55 p.m.
38°C
FEELS LIKE 43

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 11:25 PM

41.1 in Abbotsford currently, feels like 48... That is a hot day even in East Asia.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 3:58 AM

Thank god the temperature has dropped to 30°.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:25 AM

Yeah, today was unbearable outside. Went to shoot few projects in Metrotown and nearly got sun stroke despite wearing a hat and drinking water from a bottle. Had to pop in Metropolis to cool down.

While we do have air cooling in our building, I will be heading to the office tomorrow to enjoy the proper A/C all day long.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:38 AM

Our building does have some type of FortisBC central air cooling which does a decent job, but is not the same as a proper in-unit A/C. We had 25C in the unit during daytime and are thankfully facing northwest. It should be able to push few degrees cooler but the system is pending some maintenance right now and not operating at 100%. Perfect timing for that.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:50 AM

It's still 34 C in my apartment in the middle of the night and I'm trying to get some work done on my computer before I decamp to the air conditioned hotel room.

I was really starting to feel unwell as I was so overheated so I decided to try something more than just cold water on the face, cold drinks or just sitting in front of the fans.

I had a long cool bath. It really made a huge difference. If you're getting seriously overheated I would strongly recommend it.

Being immersed in cool water for at least 20 minutes will really draw the excess heat from deep in your body. It's made me feel much better for several hours now.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:11 AM

It's 29c here just after midnight in Coquitlam. Feel sorry for the 8000 customers in the tri cities without power this night.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:12 AM

I'm drinking iced water and its melted in under 5 minutes :O

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
41.1 in Abbotsford currently, feels like 48... That is a hot day even in East Asia.
What makes East Asia feel so hot is partly the high humidity. It can rain, then sun, the rain evaporates leaving a feverish humidity. Here, on the occasion when it is hot as it is now, the humidity is usually less than 50 per cent, while in East Asia it's upwards of 85 per cent. I recall Istanbut during hot 38°C weahter, and it was dry, with a breeze. One had to keep drinking water, but the sweat evaporated fast and kept things tolerable. Here, although freakishly hot right now, it could, with high humidity, be whole lot worse than it is.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:51 AM

So many records and astounding figures to show for yesterday, including lows, so may as well try to sum them up as fast as I can.

First and foremost is the already known high of 46.6 in Lytton, but that isn't the only station to have broken the previous Canadian record. So let's start with the interior:

Lytton's other station also broke 45 degrees. High 45.2 Low 20.3

Ashcroft tied the previous national record: High 45.0 Low 21.3

Lillooet broke it's all time record: High 44.8 Low 20.4

Kamloops also broke their all time record: High 44.0 Low 18.7

And a bunch of other 40+ locations:

Kelowna: High 41.5 Low 20.1
Penticton: High 40.5 Low 18.4
Osoyoos: High 42.0 Low 19.1
Trail: High 42.3 Low 18.2
Princeton: High 41.4 Low 16.7
Merritt: High 42.2 Low 14.3

In the central interior some crazy heat considering their norm

Williams Lake: High 37.2 Low 17.6
Quesnel: High 39.4 Low 14.0

Now time for the Fraser Valley crazyness.

Abbotsford: High 41.5 Low 20.9
Aggassiz: High 40.4 Low 23.4
Pitt Meadows: High 40.0 Low 20.5

and, a very special note to West Vancouver: High 40.6 Low 23.7

On the Sunshine Coast Sechelt was impressive: High 39.6 Low 20.4

Finally in and around Victoria some amazing numbers:

Victoria Airport: High 37.7 Low 21.0
Gonzales Point: High 38.3 Low 18.4

And, very the impressive Malahat: High 38.2 Low 25.2.

At 1AM the Malahat is still 30.8 degrees.

Many other weather stations throughout the coast and interior are still in the high 20s to low 30s at 1AM. Highest of all Lillooet is 33.5 at 1AM! Now that is a night that needs A/C.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:19 PM

West Vancouver recorded a hotter temperature than has ever been seen in Quebec, and higher than many places had ever reached in the Okanagan (until yesterday....). And there's humidity. Totally crazy stuff. Thank god for a basement that I can sleep in.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:45 PM

Worth noting BC Hydro attributed some of the record demand to people in residential highrises without a/c using less efficient portable air conditioners.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
It's still 34 C in my apartment in the middle of the night and I'm trying to get some work done on my computer before I decamp to the air conditioned hotel room.

I was really starting to feel unwell as I was so overheated so I decided to try something more than just cold water on the face, cold drinks or just sitting in front of the fans.

I had a long cool bath. It really made a huge difference. If you're getting seriously overheated I would strongly recommend it.

Being immersed in cool water for at least 20 minutes will really draw the excess heat from deep in your body. It's made me feel much better for several hours now.

Great recommendation! A dip in the pool is a great idea too, then spend the rest of the day hanging out in a mall with good AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
What makes East Asia feel so hot is partly the high humidity. It can rain, then sun, the rain evaporates leaving a feverish humidity. Here, on the occasion when it is hot as it is now, the humidity is usually less than 50 per cent, while in East Asia it's upwards of 85 per cent. I recall Istanbut during hot 38°C weahter, and it was dry, with a breeze. One had to keep drinking water, but the sweat evaporated fast and kept things tolerable. Here, although freakishly hot right now, it could, with high humidity, be whole lot worse than it is.
That's correct. I was able to wander around outside a couple of hours and I felt fine, although I must say I tried to be under the shades most of the time. The dry arid condition here makes it feel more like being in a desert than in a tropical rainforest, which can get really unbearable very fast.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Worth noting BC Hydro attributed some of the record demand to people in residential highrises without a/c using less efficient portable air conditioners.
Considering that public policy has equated building-wide a/c systems as akin to clear-cutting old growth forests, and then championed high-rise apartments that are nothing short of greenhouses during hot spells, administrations should shoulder the blame for their ineptitude and the public's response to it.

And now I await the civic administration fanboys that think I'm 10000% wrong, and we should instead just hydrate often, and sacrifice our comfort to our bureaucratic gods.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Considering that public policy has equated building-wide a/c systems as akin to clear-cutting old growth forests, and then championed high-rise apartments that are nothing short of greenhouses during hot spells, administrations should shoulder the blame for their ineptitude and the public's response to it.

And now I await the civic administration fanboys that think I'm 10000% wrong, and we should instead just hydrate often, and sacrifice our comfort to our bureaucratic gods.
Yes, I remember being in one Concord Pacific building in the summer and the thermostat said 29C. Not nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:10 AM

Quote:

Running clothes under cold water, rinsing them out, and putting them on helps to keep you cool with just fans running. Do the same with sheets or a towel to sleep with and it makes the night much more bearable. It sounds weird but it works.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:12 AM

Think cool thoughts...

Quote:
Kits Beach, Vancouver, Jan.13 '20, my pics

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Think cool thoughts...
You should post those shots in the national section lop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion