HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

It seems to just get worse...

No Lowry, Laine, possibly Little tonight. This is the most extensive amount of injuries at one single time as far as I can remember - from high level players anyway.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:32 PM

^ The Letestu thing is crazy in terms of new and original ways to hit the IR... I am half expecting Morrissey to slip on a banana peel and end up out for the season with a separated shoulder.

I wish the Manitoba Moose all the best vs. the Sharks tonight

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Byfuglien's actions are not surprisingly going to create a froth of speculation... when you're a NHL star and you just kind of step away from your team without providing any insight or answers and you leave the door open to a possible return, you can't be terribly surprised when people start trying to read the tea leaves.

Someone tell Emily that there is a very easy way to nip all of this speculation in the bud. Yeah Buff doesn't owe anyone an explanation, but let's face it... people will keep hunting for signs until there's a definitive answer one way or another.
In her defence she said she understands that people are speculating but feels it's ridiculous to have posted their address.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Emily Byfuglien went to social media today saying that they did in fact not sell their house. Was none to pleased some website published where they lived.
and delt with

may this be a reminder to folks our little hole in the interne that we are watched by the media...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Ottawa is a concern - averaging under 12000 per game, 58% capacity.
Would you pay to watch the Senators?

Horribly mismanaged organization from top to bottom, only thing that can save that franchise is a change in ownership!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:35 PM

I don’t disagree but I think the problem is who is going to want to buythem? Especially with an old arena way out in the burbs.
On Byfuglien, it looks increasingly like legal issues are involved hence the inability to comment. Doesn’t seem likely he will be back now regardless.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don’t disagree but I think the problem is who is going to want to buythem? Especially with an old arena way out in the burbs.
On Byfuglien, it looks increasingly like legal issues are involved hence the inability to comment. Doesn’t seem likely he will be back now regardless.
Buff and his family are still living here, he's spends summers in Minneapolis and his wifes from BC both better places to live than here, so why is he staying?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Buff and his family are still living here, he's spends summers in Minneapolis and his wifes from BC both better places to live than here, so why is he staying?
He could have been a free agent and signed in BC or Minneapolis but instead chose to sign here. Also his eldest is enrolled in school in Winnipeg. It could simply be a matter of waiting out the school year, or waiting til Christmas break to relocate since there's no urgency about it.

No claim of any inside information but the fact they're still living here doesn't really imply much of anything.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 8:58 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It seems to just get worse...

No Lowry, Laine, possibly Little tonight. This is the most extensive amount of injuries at one single time as far as I can remember - from high level players anyway.
Players with last name beginning with L are having a tough go recently
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:19 PM

Dustin Byfuglien

He spends summers in Minneapolis which is basically the same as here and Emily is from far northern BC , remote so being here close to what he loves fishing and hunting and only 2 hrs from where he grew up Roseau and family is located is advantageous to him for many reasons . He also is employed by the Winnipeg Jets so staying here is a no brainer .

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
True North was the catalyst in spurring most of the developments you mentioned. Downtown developments was essentially dead until the return of the Jets. Their indirect impact is quit significant. If you look at any of the marketing material for those projects they all boast about their proximity to Bell MTS Place, live, work, play, it's a huge selling feature. I dont think we can undermine the value True North and Bell MTS Place has had on all downtown development since it's inception and more importantly the return of the NHL. It's doubtful the impending sale of Portage Place and it's redevelopment would be happening had True North Square not been constructed. Same goes for the redevelopment of the medical arts building among others and we will continue to see economic spinoffs from True North's investments in the years to come.
Just because they tout BellMTS in their ads it doesn't mean they are the deciding factor in other developments happening. It is a selling feature for sure but so are many other factors. You can not prove that the majority of those developments I listed above are or were constructed due to the return of the Jets.

Portage Place went into further decline when the Jet returned, so I am confident that development proposal would have happened regardless of whether they were here or not.

Your claim that Winnipeg downtown development was essentially dead prior to the arrival of the Jets is flat out false. There have been plenty of project in the exchange alone over the past few decades that disprove your claim.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
There was at least one group interested in buying the team and keeping them in Ottawa...also building that proposed development at Lebreton with a new arena and surrounding developments. Well capitalized group.

Melnyk claims the current location is fine but the reality is he does not have the capital to build the new arena. He wants someone else (the public) to pay for it. As long as Melnyk owns the team the team will remain at the Canadian Tire Centre.

I think Melnyk was given an offer for the team, and he refused...or perhaps it was the NHL that wouldn't approve an initial offer as it was too low? Gotta maintain the inflated value of franchises. I would have to look back at some of the articles published in the past half year.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Just because they tout BellMTS in their ads it doesn't mean they are the deciding factor in other developments happening. It is a selling feature for sure but so are many other factors. You can not prove that the majority of those developments I listed above are or were constructed due to the return of the Jets.

Portage Place went into further decline when the Jet returned, so I am confident that development proposal would have happened regardless of whether they were here or not.

Your claim that Winnipeg downtown development was essentially dead prior to the arrival of the Jets is flat out false. There have been plenty of project in the exchange alone over the past few decades that disprove your claim.
Prior to the Jets there was not much private investment in the downtown at all, and downtown development was near zero prior to True North's investment in the MTS Centre back in 2004 which is where we can trace the roots of all the downtown development today.

The sale of Portage Place place would likely not be happening without True North Square, the new owners of Newport publicly stated their multi million investment in that building was directly related to increase competition from the TNS development, other properties in the vicinity would be the same after decades of stagnant renewal. All the downtown development is a good things regardless who or what the initial stimulus was, when i joined this forum the most exciting thing we had to discuss was a humpty's Inn on Main and a few small developments that failed to ever materialize.

Developers are more willing to take a risk when other large entities like True North are investing hundreds of millions of dollars in new developments.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Prior to the Jets there was not much private investment in the downtown at all, and downtown development was near zero prior to True North's investment in the MTS Centre back in 2004 which is where we can trace the roots of all the downtown development today.

The sale of Portage Place place would likely not be happening without True North Square, the new owners of Newport publicly stated their multi million investment in that building was directly related to increase competition from the TNS development, other properties in the vicinity would be the same after decades of stagnant renewal. All the downtown development is a good things regardless who or what the initial stimulus was, when i joined this forum the most exciting thing we had to discuss was a humpty's Inn on Main and a few small developments that failed to ever materialize.

Developers are more willing to take a risk when other large entities like True North are investing hundreds of millions of dollars in new developments.
Again the bolded is flat out false no matter how many times you repeat it. Downtown development was stalled out in 2004 primarily because the city itself was stagnant...very little growth from the late 80s to the early 2000s. The Bell MTS Centre happened to be constructed during the beginning of a period in which the city began experiencing population growth...mostly due to international immigration. Some of those and some millenials (due to different values than their predecessors) have chosen to live in the downtown or inner city...and that's not necessarily because of the jets return.

It's naive and beyond simplistic to base the the growth of downtown Winnipeg as a result of the Bell MTS Centre and the Jets

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Again the bolded is flat out false no matter how many times you repeat it. Downtown development was stalled out in 2004 primarily because the city itself was stagnant...very little growth from the late 80s to the early 2000s. The Bell MTS Centre happened to be constructed during the beginning of a period in which the city began experiencing population growth...mostly due to international immigration. Some of those and some millenials (due to different values than their predecessors) have chosen to live in the downtown or inner city...and that's not necessarily because of the jets return.

It's naive and beyond simplistic to base the the growth of downtown Winnipeg as a result of the Bell MTS Centre and the Jets
What downtown development prior to 2011 was there that was private sector driven, besides a few condo buildings on Waterfront Dr? There was nothing on the scale that it is today.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:02 PM

I think the truth is somewhere in between you two guys. Things were trending up for downtown even before the NHL returned and I'm sure a lot of the development taking place would have happened either way, but the Jets probably helped kick things into high gear. For instance, without the NHL factor I could see something like TNS being much more modest, like the clump of lowrises that was initially proposed for what was then called SoPo Square.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:36 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:02 PM

Anyone know the details about the project at MTS Centre? It looks like there is a ceiling going in around the press box area. I'm not sure how long they've been working on it but I just noticed it for the first time last night.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:23 PM

I've noticed an important change in the Jets play that I personally didn't see a few seasons ago. If last night's game against the Red Wings is an indicator, hey seem more tenacious throughout the game than they used to be. At one time they would regularly appear to "relax" after scoring a goal, or if they had the lead in the last five minutes. Now they seem to press constantly, whether they have the lead or not. Maybe they feel they need to take the game to their opposition more after they lost a few big names off their defence, but it's certainly a welcome change!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Where are all the fire Maurice guys now. Pushing this team which, on paper, should be sub-par and with the absolute decimation of the D-Core, they are coming 1 game away from tying their best ever start to the season. If they beat Detroit tomorrow they will be 20-10-2. Pretty amazing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan