HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 5:50 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH-BETTER View Post

This guy is literally the mayor.
Knox County is weird. I'm not sure what the balance of power is like, but Knox County has a mayor, which is the guy above. But the city of Knoxville has it's own mayor, Indya Kincannon, who is pictured below and is the city's second Female Democrat mayor in a row. A very strange juxtaposition between the two for sure.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Trump did better among all non-whites even in the urban areas? Where do you mean? Which urban areas?
Pretty sure he means "Trump did better with nonwhites in 2020 than he did in 2016" which isn't hard to believe at all.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
That’s a messy list. Bigger city propers like Wichita, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Knoxville will be more red as they more neighborhoods with a suburban character.
The actual cities of OKC and Tulsa lean blue, and both went for Biden in the last election. Their respective counties with the more conservative suburbs definitely trend more red. Even with that Oklahoma County (OKC) nearly went blue but is also dominated by OKC more so than Tulsa County which picks up more of the suburban communities due to having smaller city limits. Both are fairly urbanized counties with Oklahoma County having a population of nearly 800k and Tulsa County nearly 700k.

The rest of Oklahoma leans heavily Republican with the exception of Norman where OU is located, also part of the OKC MSA.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 1:43 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Urban conservatism never really went away, it just started voting democrat also because sooner or later that became the only choice. The democrat umbrella is huge. Its basically the costco of policy at this point.
Portland is blue on paper but get on the ground here and you'll see this place is rife with centrist and progressive infighting. This city is way more conservative than people think it is. Even Portlands mayor used to be a republican. But he's not a conservative any more. Riiiight. Voting nuances are interesting tho. After Alaska, did you know Massachusetts has the second highest percentage of independent voters? Its 60s percent. That state regularly elects republican governors but votes blue for president. Weird man. As far as still red urban areas, the only major cities i can think with republican mayors are Jacksonville,Miami, OKC. FT Worth and Omaha.
BINGO. Seattle is the same way. Once you leave Capitol Hill and some of the more progressive enclaves of the city proper, it becomes decidedly not progressive-especially in the more Asian areas on the east side. But- and especially in lots of local races per my most recent ballots, it’s Right-leaning independents vs. moderate Democrats running against communists. Republicans are only occasionally on the ballot. If they are, at least lately, they have been super rural by a bit too much.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 4:35 AM

Why are we stopped?

Those bums won their court case and now they're marching.

Who?

The Seattle Communist Party.

Seattle commies?? I hate Seattle commies! *screeeeeech*

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH-BETTER View Post

This guy is literally the mayor.
When I lived in Knoxville, the mayor was Victor Ashe, who was George HW Bush's roommate at Yale. When Bush won the presidency, Ashe was named the U.S. Ambassador to Poland. Magically, after decades of decline, Knoxville bounced back in Ashe's absence.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Joe Biden won Salt Lake County 53-42.

But Biden won Salt Lake City 76-20, which is a significant margin.
The margin for Salt Lake City is still lower Democratic than most other city centers, which range from 80-90% or more in most cases. But we're getting there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 9:35 AM

delete

Last edited by Cory; Jul 16, 2022 at 9:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
The whole democrat demographics are destiny strategy is not as reliable as it used to be. They have a huge latino defection and tons of Asians vote conservatively.
Not really. There are differences by country of origin, but by and large, Asians are a pretty strong Democratic Constituency.

I think Vietnamese are the only Asian block to vote decidedly red. I think Filipinos might be a swing group.

But the other (and biggest blocks) including South Asians (Indians), Chinese, and Japanese are reliable Democratic voters with a 20ish+ point margin.

I would expect the Texas Counties with growing Asian populations will turn blue soon. (Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, etc). There are also a few very Asian counties outside of Atlanta which are helping the metro get more Democratic. I think this is particularly true of Gwinnet and Forsyth Counties. I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in the Research Triangle of North Carolina.

I can tell you that the collar counties of Philadelphia also have very fast growing Asian populations and I suspect it is not an insignificant factor in the big swing left that we saw in those counties in the last election.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:58 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Another hard right county with a large state flagship university - Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Voted 62%-37% red last election, and the county is 30% black. Also, University of Alabama is enormous, majority out of state student population, and is considered pretty liberal for Alabama standards. Damn, Alabama is a conservative state.
Still has had a Democrat mayor since 2005.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Not really. There are differences by country of origin, but by and large, Asians are a pretty strong Democratic Constituency.

I think Vietnamese are the only Asian block to vote decidedly red. I think Filipinos might be a swing group.

But the other (and biggest blocks) including South Asians (Indians), Chinese, and Japanese are reliable Democratic voters with a 20ish+ point margin.

I would expect the Texas Counties with growing Asian populations will turn blue soon. (Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, etc). There are also a few very Asian counties outside of Atlanta which are helping the metro get more Democratic. I think this is particularly true of Gwinnet and Forsyth Counties. I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in the Research Triangle of North Carolina.

I can tell you that the collar counties of Philadelphia also have very fast growing Asian populations and I suspect it is not an insignificant factor in the big swing left that we saw in those counties in the last election.

From The Conversation, September 14, 2020.

Link: https://theconversation.com/asian-am...to-blue-145577

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jul 21, 2022 at 2:50 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions