Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:38 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

OAKLAND | 415 20th Street | 622 FT | 38 FLOORS

Mega office tower proposal in downtown Oakland hops ahead
Proposal for the tallest building in Oakland gains city approval

George Avalos
Bay Area News Group
May 7, 2021

A proposal to build a stunning office highrise that would be Oakland’s tallest tower — and the tallest Bay Area skyscraper outside of San Francisco — has hopped a giant step ahead in the city approval process.

The Oakland Planning Commission has voted 5-0, with one abstention, to approve an office tower that would be 622 feet high — 200 feet taller than what is currently Oakland’s tallest highrise, the Ordway Building.

“It is a beautiful-looking building,” Oakland Planning Commissioner Sahar Shirazi said prior to the panel’s vote. “Yes, it’s tall. But it looks great.”

The 38-story office tower would be developed at 415 20th St. near the corner of Thomas L. Berkley Way and Franklin Street. The tower would include 862,000 square feet of office space.
. . .

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:59 AM

looks like a modern One Chase Manhattan Plaza. A bit chunkier, actually.

Last edited by Hudson11; May 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:17 AM
Show me the blueprints

Looks very economical but still does it's best to look high quality. Nothing to complain about.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 2:43 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Looks very economical but still does it's best to look high quality. Nothing to complain about.
Yeah, it's pretty basic but the height is impressive for Oakland.

Plus, if you read the whole article, there's going to be a roof deck!

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 7:52 AM

I was prepared to dismiss this as pie-in-the-sky if it was a proposal by some local developer (or the Chinese) but it's Hines so it could very well happen.

I wish Hines (or one of the more solid US REITs like Boston Properties) would buy the Oceanwide Center project across the Bay.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 1:41 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Demolition Permits Filed For 415 20th Street, Downtown Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 3, 2022

Plans for the tallest development in the Bay Area outside of San Francisco have passed a new milestone. Demolition permits are filed for the four-story structure at 415 20th Street in Downtown Oakland. The property is where Hines has proposed a 39-story office skyscraper, with design by architecture firm Pickard Chilton.

The 1.03-acre parcel currently contains around 82,900 square feet of office space in the existing four-story structure, along with surface parking and a single-story accessory structure. The offices are occupied by Oakland Scientific facility, which gives laboratory space for Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. City records list the Regents of the University of California as the former property owner.

Plans for the 622-foot tall tower will yield over a million square feet of floor area with 897,950 square feet for office space, 2,280 square feet for retail, and 149,090 square feet for the 262-car garage.

415 20th Street showcases the work of the design architect Pickard Chilton. The firm has made use of protruding mullions, bold metal columns rising up the full length of the tower, and an X-brace motif creating functional decoration over the floor-to-ceiling curtainwall system.

The tower will rise above a podium-topping POPOS, a double-height area carved into the building. The POPOS will offer the public an elevated view of the city with landscaping and outdoor furniture. The future tenant of 415 20th will have the option of making the rooftop deck open to the public or a private employee amenity. If it is open to the public, it will be the highest public observation deck in the Bay Area for as long as the Salesforce Tower remains closed.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/demoliti...n-oakland.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 1:43 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:20 PM

So exciting to see this moving forward! I can't wait for the tabletop skyline to be broken. One can also hope that progress on this project might mean Hines will start moving forward with some of its big SF projects, but that remains to be seen.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:09 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post
So exciting to see this moving forward! I can't wait for the tabletop skyline to be broken. One can also hope that progress on this project might mean Hines will start moving forward with some of its big SF projects, but that remains to be seen.
It's also notable in that it would be the tallest building in CA outside of LA and SF, surpassing One America Plaza in SD, which measures in at 500 ft.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 7:29 AM
them bones

This is just lovely. Dig the layered facade and the fact that it isn’t some blah blue glass box.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:53 AM
Pay it Forward

I really like this design and I hope it gets done. I know that UC Berkeley has had a super computer at 415 20th Street for like 20 years now. I wonder what will happen to that?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 5:34 AM
Pay it Forward

oops wrong thread.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:57 PM
你的媽媽

Looks like this one is officially dead. Not too surprising given the current market conditions for Class A office space. Let's hope Hines' other residential developments can still pencil out at least.

Quote:
Hines Halts 415 20th Street Development In Downtown Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 1, 2023

Hines has reportedly halted plans for the 39-story office tower at 415 20th Street in Downtown Oakland, Alameda County. The proposal would have become the tallest structure in the Bay Area outside of San Francisco, but the struggling real estate market has pushed the prominent developer away. Now, the site is being offered as a future home for a new BART Police Headquarters.

The decision to stop pursuing 415 20th Street in Oakland comes the same month that the Houston-based developer listed their approved plans for a mixed-use tower at 550 Howard Street in San Francisco for sale. The developer has also been pursuing permits for the multi-tower Atlas Block development, the 47-story Transbay Block 4 tower, and a mixed-use project in Redwood City. The Atlas Block includes 50 Main Street, which is poised to become the second tall tower in San Francisco, with an eye-catching design by Foster + Partners.

The 1.03-acre parcel is less than a block from the 19th Street Oakland BART station and three blocks from the city’s centerpiece park, Lake Merritt. On the same block, Behring Company has topped out their 39-story apartment tower at 1900 Broadway.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/08/hines-st...n-oakland.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:59 PM

That's a damn shame. I was really looking forward to this one. I really hope Atlas Block and Transbay Block 4 still happen.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 4:08 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Major bummer, but not a huge surprise. I really liked the design of this one, and would have been a great new skyline-defining peak.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:14 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Major bummer, but not a huge surprise. I really liked the design of this one, and would have been a great new skyline-defining peak.
I agree.
That would have been a huge boost to the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals