HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:39 PM

Metal Finishing Out, Apartments In Near Lehigh Avenue

Current site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
2151-61 E. Albert St. which last served as the location for All-Brite Metal Finishing, a business that provided various metal-centric services for 40 years.

Thanks to a recent ZBA meeting, we have a better idea of how things will soon change here. Developers have proposed a 26-unit, four-story building with 7 car spaces and 9 bicycle spaces.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-lehigh-avenue

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:58 PM

Anyone else mildly pleasantly surprised by Lvl North at Broad and Spring Garden? It’s not a great work of architecture but it’s one of the few cases where the final product is better than the renderings (albeit it was a pretty low bar). It’s at least a pretty nice looking grocery store lol

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Anyone else mildly pleasantly surprised by Lvl North at Broad and Spring Garden? It’s not a great work of architecture but it’s one of the few cases where the final product is better than the renderings (albeit it was a pretty low bar). It’s at least a pretty nice looking grocery store lol
It's certainly exceeded my expectations. Which were very low. In fact, at the bottom.

I'll take it for now. I just hope the development across Broad can happen already. Bart, where are you?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
It's certainly exceeded my expectations. Which were very low. In fact, at the bottom.

I'll take it for now. I just hope the development across Broad can happen already. Bart, where are you?
I hope he does it soon and does it well. It’s a spot that sort of ties the whole area together.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:39 PM

Nice to see all the development but it does change my decades old calculus; stay away from streets named after PA Counties. Won't see me strolling along Lycoming Street.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:08 PM

Does anyone know if the new Penns Landing cap will reuse the existing I-95 cap? Mostly I'm concerned about the stairs and ramps called out on that plan and what that means for the relation to Front St. There's stairs there already but luckily it only rises about 4' or so. I'm really hoping we don't get an 8' wall along Front street.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
Does anyone know if the new Penns Landing cap will reuse the existing I-95 cap? Mostly I'm concerned about the stairs and ramps called out on that plan and what that means for the relation to Front St. There's stairs there already but luckily it only rises about 4' or so. I'm really hoping we don't get an 8' wall along Front street.
The OCF article mentioned making the Front Street entrance less of a wall. I think stairs are still necessary on the north end, but that the park will be more flush with the road on the south end.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:25 PM
Chris

Some positive news. Philadelphia continues to post impressive VC numbers. There is more detail here... https://www.cbinsights.com/reports/C...t-Q1-2022.pdf?

"Quarterly funding is down across all major cities and tech hubs in the US, except for Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Dallas. Among them, Philadelphia and Atlanta based startups saw the largest jumps in funding at 71% and 30%, respectively."

Venture Capital Q1 2022

United States top 10

City Deals Total Value

1. Silicon Valley 734 $28.9B
2. NY 499 $11.7B
3. Los Angeles 256 $5.2B
4. Boston 218 $4.4B
5. Dallas 54 $2.26B
6. Austin 105 $1.8B
7. Seattle 100 $1.5B
8. Philly 80 $1.495B
9. Chicago 64 $1.36B
10. D.C 116 $1.13B
11. Miami 81 $1.05B ("capital of capital")
12. Denver 89 $894M
13. Atlanta 55 $686M
14. Raleigh 41 $247M

Canada

1. Toronto 71 $1.7B (USD)
2. Vancouver 26 $237M (USD)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:53 PM

Just damn impressive. That right there is why Philadelphia has a very positive future.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 6:08 PM

I hope those VC companies translate into jobs and manufacturing.
With the Port of Philadelphia growing and Airport cargo expanding. It looks good!

Maybe we can attract the NIH to build in Philadelphia

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:58 PM

Construction Underway At 2008 North Broad Street Near Temple University

Project Rendering:

Current Progress:

Quote:
Construction is underway at a mixed-use development at 2008 Broad Street near Temple University in North Philadelphia. The building will stand six stories tall with a 1,600-square-foot commercial space at the ground floor, with 40 residential units and 14 bicycle spaces included in the development. Construction costs are estimated at $1.5 million for the 22,128-square-foot project.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/04/cons...ad-street.html

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 4:01 PM

Philadelphia’s airport is reopening economy parking for first time since pandemic began

Quote:
Philadelphia International Airport plans to reopen part of its economy parking lot for the first time since it shuttered the popular $13-a-day option at the start of the pandemic, airport officials confirmed.

Beginning April 21, about 1,850 parking spaces will be made available for travelers — about a quarter of the 7,100 spaces that have sat vacant since March 2020. The decision marks a reversal from less than six months ago, when officials said they would permanently close the lot amid a dramatic overhaul of the airport’s parking operation born out of the economic crush of the pandemic.

PHL spokesperson Heather Redfern said the airport has been planning this partial reopening for months, “but did not want to confuse passengers traveling during spring break.” Officials said they would release more details on the lot’s return in the coming weeks.

The economy lot is a short-term plan as the airport looks to add another surface parking lot, closer than some other nearby options. Officials said they are soliciting construction bids for that lot soon and completion won’t be expected for two to three years.

Most of the 40-acre economy lot will remain closed, however, as the airport plans to develop the surface parking space into cargo facilities over the next decade. This week, officials announced progress on the construction of sites that will provide commercial cargo facilities to businesses within a stone’s throw of the airfield.
Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220408.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:59 PM

Update: New Renderings and Progress for Chinatown Projects

245 N. 12th Street rendering:

Current progress:

225-27 N. 12th Street rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...atown-projects

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:00 PM

222 N. 11th Street - Chinatown - 18-units with ground floor commercial

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:01 PM

1201 Vine Street development current progress

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:05 PM

Construction Underway At 1131-39 North Front Street In Fishtown

Quote:
Philly YIMBY’s recent site visit has revealed that foundation work is underway at 1131-39 North Front Street, at the junction of Northern Liberties and Fishtown. The building will be situated on the east side of the block between West Wildey Street and Girard Avenue, just to the south of the Girard Avenue Station on the Market-Frankford Line. The structure will span a ground footprint of 10,200 square feet and will contain 32,223 square feet of interior space, translating into just under 700 square feet per average unit, and will include ground-level commercial space. Building features include full sprinkling and a roof deck, which will offer ample views of the neighborhood’s rapidly growing skyline. Permits list Front Street Two LLC as the owner, Brian Phillips as the design professional, and Callahan & Ward Properties LLC as the contractor. Construction costs are stated at $5.4 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/04/cons...liberties.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 4:20 PM

So apparently, Bettigole is poised to announce the return of mask mandates today. According to a Philly Voice article, they already changed it to “mask precautions”. Although, I just checked and it appears they’ve changed it back it probably just temporarily until they announce it. I’d feel better if it were even a handful of other cities, but Philly will be the only municipality in the country doing this - embarrassing. Who knows to what extent it will impact the local economy, but I suspect this will hurt local business both short and long term. Who wants to do business here when the city’s Covid policy is an extreme outlier compared to the rest of the country and where leadership could unpredictably impose another mandate in the future? Not good.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Apr 11, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
So apparently, Bettigole is poised to announce the return of mask mandates today. According to a Philly Voice article, they already changed it to “mask precautions”. Although, I just checked and it appears they’ve changed it back it probably just temporarily until they announce it. I’d feel better if it were even a handful of other cities, but Philly will be the only municipality in the country doing this - embarrassing. Who knows to what extent it will impact the local economy, but I suspect this will hurt local business both short and long term. Who wants to do business here when the city’s Covid policy is an extreme outlier compared to the rest of the country and where leadership could unpredictably impose another mandate in the future? Not good.
I'm holding out hope that they read the room, saw the tweet from CHoP that said they're not necessary, and will announce today at the press briefing that they're changing the criteria to only be based around hospitalizations (and, for that matter, at a higher threshold than what is currently in place).

Because that's what a sensible civic leader would do here.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 5:42 PM

Good luck putting the genie back in the bottle.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm holding out hope that they read the room, saw the tweet from CHoP that said they're not necessary, and will announce today at the press briefing that they're changing the criteria to only be based around hospitalizations (and, for that matter, at a higher threshold than what is currently in place).

Because that's what a sensible civic leader would do here.
Took the words right out my mouth. Sounds like you’ve been following this closely as well lol.

They really should have reassessed their tier system weeks ago to bring it more in line with literally everywhere else in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development