HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Yeah, the whole "back to the Seventies" thing seems to be happening on many fronts. I was there. I'm not particularly interested in going back.
I've always had the impression that at its essence the 1970s was the decade of living it up while the metaphorical wheels were coming off of society. For that reason I think the renewed identifying with the era signifies something quite serious about our current one.

No, it's not pronounced "Keeve."

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:14 PM

^I agree with your concern. "Living it up" probably was more on the front of lax morality, because the economy really stank at times. High unemployment AND high interest rates AND high inflation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM

Quote:
High unemployment AND high interest rates AND high inflation.
I.e., "stagflation." I was an undergraduate Economics major in the 1970s, and I can remember one of my Econ professors saying that economists were at a real loss to explain the "stagflation" of that time.

Made me feel really good about being an Econ major.

Fortunately, law school awaited.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Rail Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9758.../data=!3m1!1e3

Looking at the map of how far the rail park goes. It is a very good connector as far as Trails go for Center City. We really need to get this project moving forward again, can the city take imminent domain action against the Rail Owner due to letting this just city idle in the city? Could this project qualify for a "Rail to trail" conversion funding.

Old Posted Today, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Nice! The only thing you might want to add is a way to handle traffic fro 95->676 eastbound. That's another one that just dumps everyone into the street grid just for them to get back on the highway. I think someone said the original plan included a flyover that was never built. I think a short tunnel might work better, similar to how the 76/676 interchange works. But just those changes you highlighted would help a ton.
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone. Yea good point, that transition from 95 to 676 east is terrible. Unfortunately to my eye this fix doesn't seem nearly as simple as the ones I suggested, once you get into tunneling I think costs skyrocket. The good thing about the changes I suggested is I don't think any of them are that extravagant in cost. The first suggestion to add an elevated ramp would really be the only piece of complicated engineering. The rest is basically just reorienting surface streets.

Even if it's pricey though I think it's worth doing what it takes to rectify the problem you identified because it is a big reason for all of the insane speeding traffic down 6th street. I don't think it's a coincidence that even though much of callowhill is a disaster, the part that is used as a defacto highway interchange is the absolute worst part. Just an incredible dead zone caused by this mess, absolutely kills more than a dozen blocks and creates a significant barrier between two vibrant neighborhoods.

Quote:
Excellent thoughts. Looking at that diagonal at the southwest corner of Franklin Square, I think it would be better to keep the perpendicular street and reunite the orphan triangle with the park. That could be done by putting a diagonal connection through the current roundhouse site (there is no way to save that monster) OR rerouting 7th Street through even more of the roundhouse block. My one big concern about "Franklin Square Garden" arena or an other redevelopment is the Federal Reserve Banks screening area. Moving part of 7th further west in that block would give them the space to keep or reconfigure/reconstruct that facility. Maybe the diagonal should be just beyond the AA Museum (although I'd much rather that relocated to a nicer building and/or location).
A perpendicular street is generally always preferred for ease of use and sightlines for pedestrians and cyclists, and I get reuniting Franklin Square but I left the angled one because so much traffic comes up 7th to get on 95 that I think you have to maintain the ability to drive directly up 7th or else you're sending a ton more traffic onto surrounding streets. I didn't consider breaking up the roundhouse block though, which would also allow you to keep the flow of 7th intact. As I mentioned, I think it would be great if the roundhouse was incorporated into a modern skyscraper, though I guess it's an option if it's demolished.

Old Posted Today, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone.
I don't want to derail this, but it's interesting because how awful these things were was often intentional. Vine St pre-676 was considered the city's skid row and Franklin Square was considered shady. Doing maximum destruction to an area with a blunt tool was often the point of 20th century urban renewal and highway planning, but we're stuck dealing with it now decades later.

Many cities have it worse, but you'll find the destruction was intentionally planned if you look with a historical lens.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development