HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:55 PM

It's kinda surprising there are so few Brazilians registered to vote in the rest of Latin America aside from Argentina. I know there's a hybrid "Portunal" culture which is found to some extent in Paraguay and Uruguay as well after all.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's kinda surprising there are so few Brazilians registered to vote in the rest of Latin America aside from Argentina. I know there's a hybrid "Portunal" culture which is found to some extent in Paraguay and Uruguay as well after all.
That's a very thin thing, specially on Brazilian side. In Paraguay there are massive number of Brazilians but they are seen as foreigners. They're soybeans producers, virtually all of them Whites from Southern Brazil. I guess must of them might even have a home in Brazil and vote here.

For Argentina, it's a very specific thing. I guess it's mostly students or people living there for very specific reasons.

Brazilians are one of the less-prone immigration people in the world and the country is historically turned its back to its neighbours. It's not surprising that so few people would choose to move to other countries in South America.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:04 PM

There's a Brazilian community in coastal Fairfield County, CT, so I guess a CT consulate makes sense. Also in Mount Vernon, NY, very near CT, but I assume they would go to the Manhattan consulate.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Iheartthed, it's probably a honorary one. Looking again on Brazilian Superior Electoral Court, those are the only US cities with registered voters. Those people in Hartford are either registered in Boston or New York for voting purposes. I heard Brazil opened a full consulate in Orlando, so it probably will empty out Atlanta.

Regarding the US, I believe Boston is the oldest focus and where most of the long-term immigrants live. That might suggest the average Brazilian immigrant there is less likely to register than those from say, Miami.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Looking once again, and Hartford is indeed a full consulate. 4,028 voters registered there. Quite a big number. I didn't know about this. I'm aware Portuguese are big in Rhode Island though.
I'm guessing they require you to register according to your state of residence. So Brazilians that live in the NY Metro (Fairfield County, CT) would likely still register in Hartford instead of NYC. Also, the Houston number would include Dallas, Austin, and Denver. I guess the point I'm making is that using the consulate isn't the cleanest way to identify where Brazilian ex-pats are located in the U.S.

Anecdote: I went to the NYC consulate a couple of times about a decade ago to get a visa for Brazil. It was an absolute shit show lol. It was like going to the DMV in a major U.S. city...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'm guessing they require you to register according to your state of residence. So Brazilians that live in the NY Metro (Fairfield County, CT) would likely still register in Hartford instead of NYC. Also, the Houston number would include Dallas, Austin, and Denver. I guess the point I'm making is that using the consulate isn't the cleanest way to identify where Brazilian ex-pats are located in the U.S.

Anecdote: I went to the NYC consulate a couple of times about a decade ago to get a visa for Brazil. It was an absolute shit show lol. It was like going to the DMV in a major U.S. city...
Well-paid Brazilian bureaucracy that deals with public usually are well-mannered, arrogant and believe they’re making a favor to you. On the other hand I hear US consulate personnel in Brazil might be very problematic as well. It seems a pattern: if you have to deal with foreigners it seems you must be rude.

About the voting numbers, they give a more national wide clue. Based on those numbers, I suspected there are between 1.5 million to 2 million Brazilians living abroad.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Brazilians are one of the less-prone immigration people in the world and the country is historically turned its back to its neighbours. It's not surprising that so few people would choose to move to other countries in South America.
I seem to recall there's a fair amount of Brazilians who live in the Guyanas. Looking on Wiki, approximately 15,000 in Guyana, 40,000 in Surinam (nearly 10% of the population), and 72,000 in French Guiana.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I seem to recall there's a fair amount of Brazilians who live in the Guyanas. Looking on Wiki, approximately 15,000 in Guyana, 40,000 in Surinam (nearly 10% of the population), and 72,000 in French Guiana.
But those are people from the neighboring Amazon states, it’s more a regional thing. And for Brazilians down South, the Amazon is completely foreign.

———————

Not related to the US, but it has an impact in Europe: millions of Brazilians now hold European citizenships and numbers are growing bigger and bigger. Very few people are actually thinking of immigrating, but they keep requesting the citizenship. I myself will go after mine eventually.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Well-paid Brazilian bureaucracy that deals with public usually are well-mannered, arrogant and believe they’re making a favor to you.
Yeah, it was similar to the DMV in that it felt overly bureaucratic and the workers seemed like they would rather be doing anything else other than there doing their job. It was also very crowded and had long waits like the DMV.

Quote:
On the other hand I hear US consulate personnel in Brazil might be very problematic as well. It seems a pattern: if you have to deal with foreigners it seems you must be rude.
I believe it lol. Government workers in the U.S. aren't known to excel at customer service lol.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was similar to the DMV in that it felt overly bureaucratic and the workers seemed like they would rather be doing anything else other than there doing their job. It was also very crowded and had long waits like the DMV.

I believe it lol. Government workers in the U.S. aren't known to excel at customer service lol.
Americans at least have an "excuse" as I hear public servants are not paid very well, relatively speaking. Brazilian ones, however, are very well-paid compared to their peers on the private business, so they should be more cordial and professional. Those up there working in Hartford Consulate, with universal job stability, gaining very high USD nominated wages... I mean, that's heaven.

In fact, high salaries and job stability partially explain why corruption in Brazil are usually on the very higher echelons of government, involving sophisticate schemes whereas it's much less prevalent on ordinary public service compared to other Latin American countries where briberies are a massive problem for citizens to access public services.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 8:39 PM

Home Report Western Hemisphere Comprises Larger Share of New Immigrants
Western Hemisphere Comprises Larger Share of New Immigrants
Half of newcomers (2020 to 2022) are now from the Americas compared to one-third a decade ago

https://cis.org/Report/Western-Hemis...New-Immigrants

"The number and share of new immigrants from East Asia has declined significantly. In 2022, only 12 percent of newcomers came from the region, compared to 25 percent in 2014.
The number and share of new immigrants from the Indian subcontinent also fell, declining from 16 percent of newcomers in 2018 to only 11 percent in 2022."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Home Report Western Hemisphere Comprises Larger Share of New Immigrants
Western Hemisphere Comprises Larger Share of New Immigrants
Half of newcomers (2020 to 2022) are now from the Americas compared to one-third a decade ago

https://cis.org/Report/Western-Hemis...New-Immigrants

"The number and share of new immigrants from East Asia has declined significantly. In 2022, only 12 percent of newcomers came from the region, compared to 25 percent in 2014.
The number and share of new immigrants from the Indian subcontinent also fell, declining from 16 percent of newcomers in 2018 to only 11 percent in 2022."
That's interesting. Latin America is coming back.

I read an article in BBC Brasil stating the number of Brazilians detained on the Mexican border reached 57,000 in the 2020-2021 fiscal year. That's an 8x jump (!!!) compared to the previous fiscal year (7,000 between 2019-2020)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 9:52 PM
Voice of the Modern World

No, Latin American immigration isn’t making a comeback in the US.

Immigration to the US has fallen off a steep cliff. The immigration from those parts of Asia has just fallen more sharply than the immigration from Latin America to where Latin American immigration now takes up a bigger share of total US immigration.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Government workers in the U.S. aren't known to excel at customer service lol.
Depends on what kind of job it is. Postal workers seem to be rude, though I have also encountered very nice postal workers (letter carriers as well as the clerks behind the counter at the post office).

State and national park workers tend to be really nice; park rangers are always nice. Librarians and public library workers always seem to be very nice. I've met a few "cold" ones, but most are very friendly.

In California anyway, school district employees are state employees, and they also tend to be on the nice side. At least the ones I've encountered.

Quote:
Americans at least have an "excuse" as I hear public servants are not paid very well, relatively speaking.
Again, it depends on the job. And actually, government workers have the best benefits; of course it also depends on which government (federal vs. state vs. county vs. city employees). Government workers get regular raises, all the federal and state holidays off (and with pay, of course), pension plans, healthcare, bereavement pay, full jury duty pay---not that bullshit of "My employer only pays for 1 day or 5 days of jury duty..."

My mother worked for the federal government before she retired. She now gets an actual real pension, not some shitty 401K plan. And, the federal government has the equivalent of a 401K plan, called a TSP. A few years after she retired, she cashed out her TSP and got a lot of money. It was taxed of course, but her net was still a good sum.

My partner used to work for Los Angeles County and he got really good benefits. This was a long time ago though, and he regrets that he quit.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Sep 20, 2022 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:52 AM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

This is not the proper thread to litigate south American politics.

Take that crap to the CE toilet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Depends on what kind of job it is. Postal workers seem to be rude, though I have also encountered very nice postal workers (letter carriers as well as the clerks behind the counter at the post office).

State and national park workers tend to be really nice; park rangers are always nice. Librarians and public library workers always seem to be very nice. I've met a few "cold" ones, but most are very friendly.

In California anyway, school district employees are state employees, and they also tend to be on the nice side. At least the ones I've encountered.
Yeah, I'm more referring to bureaucratic roles in which a person is likely to have frequent contact with the public. That's ironic about postal workers because that is the profession that coined the term "going postal" lol.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:20 PM

People are fleeing Puerto Rico, Guam and every other U.S. territory. What gives?

People are fleeing Puerto Rico, Guam and every other U.S. territory. What gives?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pe...2c01d0dfa2451c

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe they are coming to the mainland. Honestly the way things are going with Puerto Rico hurricane wise, eventually that island is going to be wiped out, so best to seek refuge in the mainland.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post

the opportunities afforded on the mainland are vastly superior to those islands and everyone in those territories is an American citizen with complete freedom to move.

In more recent years issues regarding supply chain, food, energy costs hit them harder and they are much poorer making it harder to deal with it than the 50 states just like its hitting parts of Europe worse.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
the opportunities afforded on the mainland are vastly superior to those islands and everyone in those territories is an American citizen with complete freedom to move.
Technically speaking, not quite true. Residents of American Samoa are not U.S. citizens, because it is the only inhabited territory which is unincorporated, meaning the U.S. Constitution does not apply there. There have been repeated cases regarding this (most recently in 2021) with district courts saying that American Samoans do not have birthright citizenship. There's a Supreme Court case regarding this currently pending.

That said, they are considered U.S. nationals, even though they aren't citizens. They can freely migrate to the U.S. and are effectively treated like they hold a green card.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post

Natural disasters and lack of economic opportunity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions