HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 12:45 AM
Hello

We have the FMC (730 ft) Vs. CITC (1,121 ft) race going on right now, and now we are going to have the W/Element (583 ft) Vs. SLS Intl (590 ft) just starting up. They are all definitely happening! Exciting times indeed!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:29 PM

Exciting times indeed. FOUR buildings over 500 feet going up at the same time including one that's over 1,000 feet. That's unprecedented. Almost.

In the last boom, Comcast and RITR were the only ones over 500 feet. The period between 1990 and 1991 still stands as the most transformative, in my opinion at least. No 1,000 footers or even a new tallest, but 4 iconic towers over 600 feet completed: 2 Liberty Place (848), Mellon Bank (792), Bell Atlantic (739), and IBX (625).

The current boom is a very close second. Anyone beg to differ or have other insight?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
Someone gotta make a diagram
I am working on it. Setting myself up for some good habits so I can do the others that are missing, too. 3601 Market, 37 Chestnut, and more. Work is terribly busy right now, sick kid, wife started a new job. Give me another two weeks.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
I am working on it. Setting myself up for some good habits so I can do the others that are missing, too. 3601 Market, 37 Chestnut, and more. Work is terribly busy right now, sick kid, wife started a new job. Give me another two weeks.
That would be great. FWIW, 1919 Market seems like it would be an easier project with this render available.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 12:20 PM

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

This tower is going to look huuuge at this location.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Exciting times indeed. FOUR buildings over 500 feet going up at the same time including one that's over 1,000 feet. That's unprecedented. Almost.

In the last boom, Comcast and RITR were the only ones over 500 feet. The period between 1990 and 1991 still stands as the most transformative, in my opinion at least. No 1,000 footers or even a new tallest, but 4 iconic towers over 600 feet completed: 2 Liberty Place (848), Mellon Bank (792), Bell Atlantic (739), and IBX (625).
The current boom is a very close second. Anyone beg to differ or have other insight?
As far as skyline transformation, I'd agree on 1990 and 1991 with now being a close second. As far as changing the fabric of the city, Now. You have to think of all the residential going up and planned in the next few years. On Chestnut alone, 4 significant projects: AQ Rittenhouse, 19th and Chestnut, 11th block of Chestnut (Brickstone), and newly announced 700 block of Chestnut. Then there are the condos going up everywhere else (One Riverside, 500 Walnut, etc...) and townhomes galore. Great new bars and restaurants springing up and in the pipeline. New and revitalized public spaces, pop up parks, Bike share, a host of hot new stores with hopefully some department stores coming. The city in 2020 as compared to the city even in 2010 will be virtually unrecognizable in many ways.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/rXajUN]

This tower is going to look huuuge at this location.
So glad to see this one in the works. From the renders it looks amazing.

BTW, what is that filthy highrise concrete building nearby - resi or hotel?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 11:26 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Center City One, apartment building.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland
BTW, what is that filthy highrise concrete building nearby - resi or hotel?
That building is the Center City One Condominium. Constructed in 1972-74, it is a Brutalist-style concrete building that is supposed to look like bare concrete because it is bare concrete. Whatever your basis for calling the building "filthy" is, the variation in the concrete is completely natural for that product.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
As far as skyline transformation, I'd agree on 1990 and 1991 with now being a close second. As far as changing the fabric of the city, Now. You have to think of all the residential going up and planned in the next few years. On Chestnut alone, 4 significant projects: AQ Rittenhouse, 19th and Chestnut, 11th block of Chestnut (Brickstone), and newly announced 700 block of Chestnut. Then there are the condos going up everywhere else (One Riverside, 500 Walnut, etc...) and townhomes galore. Great new bars and restaurants springing up and in the pipeline. New and revitalized public spaces, pop up parks, Bike share, a host of hot new stores with hopefully some department stores coming. The city in 2020 as compared to the city even in 2010 will be virtually unrecognizable in many ways.
Agreed. We didn't even have sidewalk seating back in those dark ages! I was strictly speaking about the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJacobs View Post
That building is the Center City One Condominium. Constructed in 1972-74, it is a Brutalist-style concrete building that is supposed to look like bare concrete because it is bare concrete. Whatever your basis for calling the building "filthy" is, the variation in the concrete is completely natural for that product.
Brutalism takes a particular kind. I like it in modest doses. But whether the Brutalist style is for you or not...most Brutalist concrete monoliths of the 60s and 70s have given way over the years to stained facades, chipped corners, and broken stairs (take a looks at U Mass Amherst or Boston City Hall). Concrete façades, in particular, tend not to age that well (though it's more of a problem in more maritime climates). This particular building seems to have a patina of dirt and grit. Depending on vantage point, SLS will probably block much of it from view.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:19 PM

4/10/2015

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
You can't fool us! That's obviously still a parking lot. The things these landowners will do to keep their parking lots!

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
You can't fool us! That's obviously still a parking lot. The things these landowners will do to keep their parking lots!
Meanwhile, at the W site...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 12:29 PM
BANNED

This building will probably be underway before we see any more action at W hotel site.

I saw ad for Murano saying only 4 out of 302 units are left. Thats definitely a good sign for the new condo buildings that are about to go into construction. The inventory is drying up. The RARC ad said 186 are sold- but I dont know total number of units.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
This building will probably be underway before we see any more action at W hotel site.

I saw ad for Murano saying only 4 out of 302 units are left. Thats definitely a good sign for the new condo buildings that are about to go into construction. The inventory is drying up. The RARC ad said 186 are sold- but I dont know total number of units.
I think the total is a lot more than that. Some astounding number. But it's still a good sign. It was 174 units sold not that long ago. The Ritz is challenged by high price and high condo fees given its location (which is, however, improving) and length of time it's been on the market.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:14 AM

Some great progress on the demo. I shot some pics but I have a temp phone (my iPhone is getting fixed) and doesn't seem to be emailing right. I'll post if I can.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:53 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 12:00 AM

Article about the demo and building construction posted by EastSideHBG on the Philadelphia Development Thread.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...OO5MIm1FM10.99

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I think the total is a lot more than that. Some astounding number. But it's still a good sign. It was 174 units sold not that long ago. The Ritz is challenged by high price and high condo fees given its location (which is, however, improving) and length of time it's been on the market.
According to these guys there are 178 units in the building - so your 174 number jives perfectly. If there are more than that, I'm assuming they are for rental purposes and not for sale?

Still no retail on the ground floor though? Unbelievable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive