HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Does Fort Lauderdale have a height limit? If so, what is it?
Yes, however I'm unsure of what it is now. It used to be 500ft for downtown as of 2020, set by the FAA. Downtown is in the top pink area of the top blob in the graphic below.

FLLHWO_COMPOSITE by Andrew Linhares, on Flickr

Last edited by UrbanImpact; Mar 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:04 PM

Judging by taller and taller I suspect the height allowances are rather fluid.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Judging by taller and taller I suspect the height allowances are rather fluid.
I'm sure these special height increase requests make the FAA some needed $$$

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:08 PM

South Florida has the worst placed airports in the country, but you really can't move it anywhere because the Everglades is protected and most of south Florida is developed so it's best to make do.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
South Florida has the worst placed airports in the country, but you really can't move it anywhere because the Everglades is protected and most of south Florida is developed so it's best to make do.
I loved flying into FTL from NYC. The plane hugged the coast all the way down then turned westward over FTL, so as to turn back. Just a few miles inward and you see a stark demarcation, almost a straight line, dividing developed areas and the Everglades. I’ll always be a Florida boy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I loved flying into FTL from NYC. The plane hugged the coast all the way down then turned westward over FTL, so as to turn back. Just a few miles inward and you see a stark demarcation, almost a straight line, dividing developed areas and the Everglades. I’ll always be a Florida boy.
Flying into Florida never disappoints! The descent into LAX is a big contrast, almost miles of homes with all the same beige shade. I have to admit LAX does have a beautiful international terminal that's probably the best in America. Floridian airports really need to modernize, I can only see Tampa and one terminal of MIA as the most modern.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:32 PM

I don't believe that Ft. Lauderdale has a specific height limit, but Ft. Lauderdale is about 4-5 miles away from FLL (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fort...l=en&entry=ttu), and while the flight paths in no way do not intersect nor cross anywhere within downtown Ft Lauderdale, the FAA is the agency that determines how high buildings can be erected, which is an outdated factor since FLL is very close to the Atlantic Ocean, and there's practically enough space in Broward just to maneuver aircraft w/o having to go through downtown Ft Lauderdale (or downtown Hollywood, for that matter).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Flying into Florida never disappoints! The descent into LAX is a big contrast, almost miles of homes with all the same beige shade. I have to admit LAX does have a beautiful international terminal that's probably the best in America. Floridian airports really need to modernize, I can only see Tampa and one terminal of MIA as the most modern.
One thing I like about the South FL airports (MIA, FLL, and PBI) is how all three are practically lined up due to South FL's linear geography unlike NY's, the Bay Area's and DC's three airports, which are spread out and how all three can be easily accessed by rail (Amtrak or Tri Rail).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Yep, the last time I flew into LAX was 2013 and it was nothing special at the time. But obviously they’ve been modernizing like crazy since.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:13 AM

Luckily all three airports just received much needed funds: https://www.transportation.gov/brief...astructure-law

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I don't believe that Ft. Lauderdale has a specific height limit, but Ft. Lauderdale is about 4-5 miles away from FLL (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fort...l=en&entry=ttu), and while the flight paths in no way do not intersect nor cross anywhere within downtown Ft Lauderdale, the FAA is the agency that determines how high buildings can be erected, which is an outdated factor since FLL is very close to the Atlantic Ocean, and there's practically enough space in Broward just to maneuver aircraft w/o having to go through downtown Ft Lauderdale (or downtown Hollywood, for that matter).
The City doesn’t have a height limit if a site is zoned RAC (regional activity center) , however the FAA does. See map above.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:20 AM

FTL is modernizing two terminals, building a fifth and planning a people mover.

Miami is embarking on a $7 billion modernization over 15 years.

WPB is expanding its terminal.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:49 AM

That's great news! I remember recently seeing a video of raw sewage leaking out onto a terminal in Miami International so these funds are definitely needed.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 3:25 AM

Quote:
That's great news! I remember recently seeing a video of raw sewage leaking out onto a terminal in Miami International so these funds are definitely needed.
Here you go …

https://www.miami-airport.com/capital_improvement.asp

And a swish hotel too …

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...airport-119868

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
The City doesn’t have a height limit if a site is zoned RAC (regional activity center) , however the FAA does. See map above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...r_Construction

The FAA's height limits are very outdated, especially considering that Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood have been planning on building taller buildings which would help both their economic and physical growth. If anything, those cities need to enact no fly zones within their downtowns just so future flights do not pass through their downtowns in the near future.

Also, Broward County needs to shut down North Perry Airport and create another airport closer to the Everglades, just so you can foster more growth within the growing cities, as well as to place an airport at a safer location so residents cannot live with aircraft noise, jet fuel fumes, lead poisoning, and to allow pilots to have a much safer airport for takeoffs and landing!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...r_Construction

The FAA's height limits are very outdated, especially considering that Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood have been planning on building taller buildings which would help both their economic and physical growth. If anything, those cities need to enact no fly zones within their downtowns just so future flights do not pass through their downtowns in the near future.

Also, Broward County needs to shut down North Perry Airport and create another airport closer to the Everglades, just so you can foster more growth within the growing cities, as well as to place an airport at a safer location so residents cannot live with aircraft noise, jet fuel fumes, lead poisoning, and to allow pilots to have a much safer airport for takeoffs and landing!
Broward County is built out, there is no room for another large airport nor does it need one. There aren't any large plots of land with exception of landfills, which are no where near airport size. Perry Airport is located in close proximity to the main airport and could not function in the same way nor does it have the space. The current Fort Lauderdale Airport is being and can additionally be remodeled.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Broward County is built out, there is no room for another large airport nor does it need one. There aren't any large plots of land with exception of landfills, which are no where near airport size. Perry Airport is located in close proximity to the main airport and could not function in the same way nor does it have the space. The current Fort Lauderdale Airport is being and can additionally be remodeled.
https://www.change.org/p/ron-desanti...-perry-airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EVUZ16jDA

https://phys.org/news/2023-07-south-...s-country.html

North Perry Airport isn't a large airport like FLL or MIA. It's basically a general aviation airport, meaning that smaller planes are allowed to use the airport. There seems touch. more liabilities tied to that airport than benefits. If I were a resident of Pembroke Pines, I'd vote just to have it shut down and use the land to redevelop into mid to high density developments.

In the past, when Pembroke Pines was a much smaller city, and Broward was a much smaller county, it made a lot of sense to have a general aviation airport at that location. Now that Pembroke Pines had grown into a major regional city of 175K and Broward is closing in on 2M people, the future of Pembroke Pines and Broward hinges on whether it can build mid to high level density developments.

The cities of Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale need taller buildings within their respective downtowns to keep up with the growth, as you most definitely cannot mow and plow down the Everglades. You have to build taller and more dense in South FL if you want to maintain a healthy rate of smart growth.

Finally, with FLL being the main airport in Broward, and Opa Locka Airport only 21 min from Hollywood, and 29 min from Ft Lauderdale, that area has more than enough airports to serve people who want to fly either commercial, charter, or private flights!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals