HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:56 PM
Pay it Forward

I have run into more than one business acquaintance that moved to Miami during the pandemic and then moved back because the tech and vc scene there is just not what they were hoping.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 6:47 PM

Why Every New Condo Tower In South Florida Seems To Need A Brand

Is this also happening in other city or worsening the issue? Of course, these condos are really only for the rich or foreigners that want to park their money in US real estate...

There's Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin, Baccarat, E11even, Cipriani and Diesel. At this point, Las Vegas might as well have odds on the next brand to launch a condo in South Florida...

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...a-brand-123539

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Is this also happening in other city or worsening the issue? Of course, these condos are really only for the rich or foreigners that want to park their money in US real estate...

There's Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin, Baccarat, E11even, Cipriani and Diesel. At this point, Las Vegas might as well have odds on the next brand to launch a condo in South Florida...

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...a-brand-123539
Don't forget the 90 floor Dolce & Gabbana tower
https://www.thenextmiami.com/first-l...l-condo-hotel/

Edit (after work happy hour):
Miami has always gotten tons of negative speculative opinions on this forum since I've been on here back as a teenie bopper (I'm 41 now). I get that people hate the parking pedestals, machoism, flashiness and insufficient transit...however, the city will continue to dominate in skyscraper construction and now has the 3rd largest skyline in the USA after Chicago. The dynamics are not the same everywhere in the USA. Are there any large cities in the USA where condos are are not pricey in their downtowns or most desirable areas?

Last edited by UrbanImpact; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
I have run into more than one business acquaintance that moved to Miami during the pandemic and then moved back because the tech and vc scene there is just not what they were hoping.
There was an article last year saying the same thing about Austin.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/florida-hou...rouble-1874962

Said it slid 2.5 percent. March 2024 article.

Miami is also the 2nd most rent burdened metro in america.
Sale prices are still going up though. February 2024 (most recent available) in Miami-Dade County single family home closing sale prices were still up 17% year over year. Condo prices were only up 7%.

Crazy that you have to go all the way up to St.Lucie County to find a county in South Florida were the median single family home price is under $600k (a 115 mile drive from Miami).

The reason for the constant high prices is that despite the narrative South Florida does not build much housing, especially outside of Downtown Miami. Per the census data, Miami's MSA has permitted half as many housing units as places like Austin or Atlanta and has permitted less than half as many single family homes as notoriously anti-developement west coast cities like Los Angeles. The narritive is why can't New York build new housing? New York has permitted 4 TIMES as much housing as Miami's MSA so far in 2024.

Miami builds the high profile projects in the core but it can't expand and sprawl outwards. Most other metros are sprawling like crazy at the fringes buliding tons of new housing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 4:54 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
My niece and her bf moved from South Florida to Jacksonville because they could not find work in their respective careers, she's STEM, he's a software developer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 2:59 PM

Over 50,000 applications were submitted to enter the lottery for selection to be on the Miami-Dade waiting list for Section 8 housing vouchers. Only 5000 were selected - not for vouchers but to be on the waiting list for vouchers. Apartment rents have continued to increase, and I have senior family members who are running out of options as their rents are pricing them out with nowhere to go.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The reason for the constant high prices is that despite the narrative South Florida does not build much housing, especially outside of Downtown Miami. Per the census data, Miami's MSA has permitted half as many housing units as places like Austin or Atlanta and has permitted less than half as many single family homes as notoriously anti-developement west coast cities like Los Angeles. The narritive is why can't New York build new housing? New York has permitted 4 TIMES as much housing as Miami's MSA so far in 2024..
This is a good insight. I didn't realize that.

If this is the case, doesn't it risk becoming a ghost city in some ways? i.e. a place where only wealthy people can afford and live in only part time? Sort of like Charleston SC? Because at the end of the day, the vast majority of people in a metro can only afford what incomes will bear. There will always be very expensive outlier areas, but if the entire structure of the city is very expensive housing that only the rich and foreigners can afford to park their money in USD, it will empty out. Isn't Miami Dade shrinking (in population) for like the first time ever?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 4:29 PM

1298 units permitted in February is low for Miami's MSA. But looking closer at the data it seems like a bulk of the units are multifamily, in fact of the 1298 only 396 units were single family or consisted of lower than 5 units while 860 units were multifamily (5 or more units).

That's a large amount of multifamily units, especially per capita.

The only way to build single family housing is southern miami-dade, and there's still urban development boundaries that restrict building near farm land.

Miami-Dade and Broward need a zoning refresh to allow higher density or middle-housing options. Currently a large swath of land is still dedicated to single-family homes with unrealistic zoning requirements.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 5:49 PM
Never Dell

Yeah, many states/cities have been expanding missing-middle options, often as a blanket requirement for single-family areas that don't have deed restrictions. It would be a smart move. The devil is in the details of course. It's much harder to pencil MM housing if you have off-street parking requirements, for starters.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 9:17 PM

Long-term, South Florida has the worst housing crisis in the U.S., by far. The Bay Area still has room, but South Florida is completely hemmed in by the Everglades. There's no place to sprawl, and no, not everyone is gonna live in 30-floor condos in Aventura or Sunny Isles. Even the most apartment-oriented metros need relatively affordable SFH.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Long-term, South Florida has the worst housing crisis in the U.S., by far. The Bay Area still has room, but South Florida is completely hemmed in by the Everglades. There's no place to sprawl, and no, not everyone is gonna live in 30-floor condos in Aventura or Sunny Isles. Even the most apartment-oriented metros need relatively affordable SFH.
Maybe Miami could do what Houston did: Reduce their minimum lot size (5000sf to 1400sf in Houston's case), upgrade utility capacity then get out of the way.

Miami on Flickr

Houston on Flickr

That area in Miami is about 2/10 of a mile closer to Miami's downtown than the area in Houston is to its downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Maybe Miami could do what Houston did: Reduce their minimum lot size (5000sf to 1400sf in Houston's case), upgrade utility capacity then get out of the way.

Miami on Flickr

Houston on Flickr

That area in Miami is about 2/10 of a mile closer to Miami's downtown than the area in Houston is to its downtown.
Houston's inner city density in most of Miami would be great. Something like Tokyo or Kobe for example with restaurants on the bottom of homes would be nice but is unrealistic.

The Live Local Act I believe will provide a lot of this density relief.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:19 AM

Miami's inner city population density is still much greater than Houston's. Compare population from center of downtown, different radii:

Radius in mi/Miami pop/Houston pop
1 mi /69,257 /26,209
2 mi /184,004 /84,430
3 mi /283,618 /188,295
5 mi /515,939 /419,839

Subtracting ocean area, here is the approximate density in persons per sq mile

Radius/Miami/Houston
1 mi /27,700 /11,500
2 mi /24,500 /6,700
3 mi /20,000 /6,600
5 mi /11,000 /5,300

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:11 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Downtown Houston is pretty underwhelming and has been slow compared to most major cities as far as building up a sizable residential population. Downtown Miami is vibrant by comparison with a huge demand for high rise living.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
1298 units permitted in February is low for Miami's MSA. But looking closer at the data it seems like a bulk of the units are multifamily, in fact of the 1298 only 396 units were single family or consisted of lower than 5 units while 860 units were multifamily (5 or more units).

That's a large amount of multifamily units, especially per capita.

The only way to build single family housing is southern miami-dade, and there's still urban development boundaries that restrict building near farm land.

Miami-Dade and Broward need a zoning refresh to allow higher density or middle-housing options. Currently a large swath of land is still dedicated to single-family homes with unrealistic zoning requirements.
What do you do about the pesky NIMBYs that show up and complain at city/county meetings? There aren't a ton of YIMBYs to counteract them from what I've seen. This is the biggest hurdle for zoning changes here and pretty much everywhere in the USA. People go ballistic about "traffic, crime, shadows, etc." when mid-rises are built in my area.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Miami's inner city population density is still much greater than Houston's. Compare population from center of downtown, different radii:

Radius in mi/Miami pop/Houston pop
1 mi /69,257 /26,209
2 mi /184,004 /84,430
3 mi /283,618 /188,295
5 mi /515,939 /419,839

Subtracting ocean area, here is the approximate density in persons per sq mile

Radius/Miami/Houston
1 mi /27,700 /11,500
2 mi /24,500 /6,700
3 mi /20,000 /6,600
5 mi /11,000 /5,300
My post was specifically responding to Crawford's suggestion that Miami has no space to expand its single family housing stock and not everyone wants to live in a high rise apartment. A cursory view of Miami's inner city using Google Earth shows mile after mile (after even more miles) of one-storey houses on big(ish) lots. I wasn't able to find any inner city areas with the densely-built housing style shown in the screen cap of Houston above. Makes me half-jokingly wonder if Miami's higher density is because people are living twelve-to-a-room in those SFHs and small apartment buildings surrounding Miami's downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
My post was specifically responding to Crawford's suggestion that Miami has no space to expand its single family housing stock and not everyone wants to live in a high rise apartment. A cursory view of Miami's inner city using Google Earth shows mile after mile (after even more miles) of one-storey houses on big(ish) lots. I wasn't able to find any inner city areas with the densely-built housing style shown in the screen cap of Houston above. Makes me half-jokingly wonder if Miami's higher density is because people are living twelve-to-a-room in those SFHs and small apartment buildings surrounding Miami's downtown.
The City of Miami is tiny, so I'm guessing you are probably not looking at houses in the City of Miami. Most municipalities down here are small in geographical size.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:45 PM

Miami is generally much higher density than Houston, and I don't see much room to add tons of SFH in existing neighborhoods.

Houston has a crapload of in-town teardowns bc the existing vintage housing stock is generally really bad, with shotgun homes and the like. But the vast majority of new housing is on the exurban fringe, which doesn't exist in South FL. It's fully built out to the Everglades.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
The City of Miami is tiny, so I'm guessing you are probably not looking at houses in the City of Miami. Most municipalities down here are small in geographical size.
I'm looking at neighborhoods literally just across I-95 from Downtown Miami. The screen cap above is NW 41st Street at NW 10th Avenue, less than 3 miles from Downtown. Everywhere I looked is lowrise, single family homes or small apartment complexes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions