HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
YOu know enough about ALL of them to say none are adequate? Wow, thats impressive at this early juncture.
I know enough to be turned off by many of them: either by living in their wards or seeing their very public views made known. I’m a hard No on many of these people.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Well, here's the answer to my earlier post. Looks like we will see a 7 story building rise near the corner of 13th and Vine:
Nice! I'm not sure what the current use is at 223 N 13th, but they're likely getting all of their party-wall windows blocked.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
In my opinion, the best mayoral candidates are in this order:

Rebecca Rhynhart
Allan Domb
Derek Green
Jeff Brown
Cherelle Parker
Maria Quinones-Sanchez
Helen Gym
I'm pretty much aligned with this, though I would probably put Green before Domb.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
We have a real world study now in front of our eyes with inflation on everything from food to housing costs and everything in between, due to money previously pumped into the financial system because of the pandemic. Not even on a great scale like this, some businesses must raise prices on their products and services, especially those kinds of businesses that have razor thin profit margins or operate on borrowed credit, if they are forced to pay a higher wage. To be clear, I am in favor of higher wages, but if you are running a small business in certain sectors that have inherent risks and costs not in your control, higher wages is a real issue you have to confront to determine if your business can thrive or not.
Completely different scenario.

The real world scenario was the 30+ states that raised the minimum wage prior to us and or the pandemic and had no effect on inflation.

I mean jesus christ I can't believe we're having this conversation. The last time the minimum wage was raised was in 2009. Can anyone with a straight face argue that's tolerable? Can anyone argue with the fact that it shouldn't just be pegged to the CPI or inflation rate and adjust upward each year so we can stop having this inane debate.

With all things the boomers ruined, minimum wage when they were in entry level roles was many multiples of what it is today in terms of buying power. When my mom worked in her first job post high school, she made $40 a week and her college tuition was $250 a year.

Now minimum wage is what, $300 a week and in state tuition at a state supported school is about $8000 a year. It's not difficult to see why it was so much easier to climb into the middle class a few generations ago.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

This is a good short read with highlights and links to tables. Pay attention to the highlights.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2020/home.htm

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:27 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
YOu know enough about ALL of them to say none are adequate? Wow, thats impressive at this early juncture.
Cardeza you make me laugh more and more everyday

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Also, my number 1 and number 2 wishes for Shapiro and the new state house are:

1. Increase the minimum wage (to at least $12 an hour). Ideally it would be $15 but I can imagine state Republicans would push back and realistically it will probably land at $12. More than anything else, an increase in minimum wage will help alleviate Philly's poverty and crime issues.
2. Modify the uniformity clause to allow commercial and residential properties to be taxed at different rates.

What's yours?
Sorry for the pessimism but it's hard to see much getting done with Republicans holding the senate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Sorry for the pessimism but it's hard to see much getting done with Republicans holding the senate.
There are still plenty of (republican) state senators from purple suburban districts that would be willing to compromise on things like the minimum wage.

This is one of the reason Shapiro is including Republicans in his transition team.

He's not an idiot.

Last edited by 3rd&Brown; Dec 2, 2022 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:58 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Moderate politics get more things done for both sides then working on just the left and right, you gotta come together in the middle in order to get thing done.

The US and PA especially need to stop with the whole left or right is better.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:34 PM

Walnut & 24th

Looks like the Sweat Fitness on Walnut is closing, by the bridge. Anyone know if something is going on with the building? A lot of activity lately in this area..

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Looks like the Sweat Fitness on Walnut is closing, by the bridge. Anyone know if something is going on with the building? A lot of activity lately in this area..
From their instagram

That's a good spot. Hopefully something fills it quickly

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:39 PM

Looks like ThirdLove is going into the former Untuckit space. It’s a decent women’s undergarments store with other locations in Soho and Newbury St.

Anyone know what’s going into the Lush space? I walked by yesterday and noticed they were doing interior remodeling for something.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:12 PM

You don’t have a “right” to own and run a business. If you cant pay your employees proper wages then you shouldn’t be employing anyone

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
You don’t have a “right” to own and run a business. If you cant pay your employees proper wages then you shouldn’t be employing anyone
I was actually warming up to the idea of increasing the minimum wage based on previous comments but I have to say your line of reasoning really isn’t helping… lol.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Looks like ThirdLove is going into the former Untuckit space. It’s a decent women’s undergarments store with other locations in Soho and Newbury St.

Anyone know what’s going into the Lush space? I walked by yesterday and noticed they were doing interior remodeling for something.
Mejuri

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
From their instagram

That's a good spot. Hopefully something fills it quickly
City Fitness will be all over that if it's as good as you say. They are taking over the Old City spot. Been renovating the space for months.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Mejuri
Ooo upgrade! They have very nice storefronts. No wonder the landlord didn’t really seem to care about keeping Lush.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 10:02 PM

North Broad

Great infill, so many projects happening or planned - and big ones. But these buildings of luxury apartments - and exterior cheapness - leave a lot to be desired. Bummed especially by the Canno Design - 545 N. Broad Street - I know it is not a finished product, but it's a metal/tin shack.

And of course - who can ever forget the modular monster at Broad & Spring Garden!

Speaking of modular buildings - the new one at 8th and Spring Garden (741 Spring Garden) is already topped out (sorry I didn't get a chance to snap a pic).

https://www.741springgarden.com/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Bummed especially by the Canno Design - 545 N. Broad Street - I know it is not a finished product, but it's a metal/tin shack.
Same here... I was really excited about this one when it was announced. I think the rendering led me to believe it was going to be white brick. The change in the first floor to that color brick makes it look dirty and it doesn't mesh AT ALL with the floors above. I think it's actually worse than the modular building at Spring Garden

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 12:40 PM

Logan Square

^PurpleWhiteOut, agreed. Canno does really awesome work usually, not sure what happened with this one.

----------

Now over to Logan Square:

-PMC's long, low-riser is taking shape:

-Edgewater Apartments - the developer could've done so much more with this site. The site book-ends the Schuylkill River Trail and overlooks the Parkway - perhaps a tall, slender tower (condos) but this is what we got...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development