HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:52 AM

AmeriSave

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

gawd I hate these garbage clickbait, utterly unscientific ranking lists.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:26 PM

IDK why they stop at the US. Atlanta is clearly the best place to live in the world.

Vienna who?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:42 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
gawd I hate these garbage clickbait, utterly unscientific ranking lists.
I opened facebook for the first time in a month. Instead of seeing updates about my friends, they fill the feed with this kind of hot garbage.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Not according to this list. Atlanta does not even rank.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-why/2957641/

Chicago Voted ‘Best Big City in the US' By Condé Nast Traveler For 6th Year in a Row. Here's Why

According to the magazine, the win has made history
Published October 4, 2022 • Updated 6 hours ago

Condé Nast Traveler has crowned Chicago the “No. 1 Best Big City in the U.S.” — again — as part of the magazine’s 2022 Reader’s Choice Awards.

Chicago is No. 1 — again. And again, again, again, again and again.

According to a Tuesday press release from Choose Chicago, Condé Nast Traveler has crowned Chicago the "No. 1 Best Big City in the U.S." — again — as part of the magazine's 2022 Reader's Choice Awards.

The award has consecutively been bestowed on Chicago since 2017. And according to Choose Chicago, the win has made history. "No other city has been voted Best Big City in the U.S. more than three straight times in the 35-year history of the Condé Nast Readers’ Choice Awards," the release says.

“There are so many reasons why Chicago is the Best Big City in the U.S.," .... "We have world-class restaurants, top-tier hotels and meeting spaces, cultural institutions and entertainment venues that can rival the best in the world and vibrant, diverse neighborhoods that make sure there is something for every visitor."

When it comes to visitors, Choose Chicago tourism data from summer 2022 show that leisure and business travel are approaching a "full return" to 2019 levels.

Hotel room demand during the summer months exceeded 3 million room nights, the agency says, "which is nearly 90% of summer 2019 levels." Group hotel room demand, which tallies large conventions and meetings, also skyrocketed this past summer, exceeding summer 2019 levels, according to the release.

But it's not all about tourism numbers. The rankings are chosen by more than 240,000 Condé Nast Traveler readers, who touted the Chicago's variety of offerings.

"A world-class destination known for its impressive architecture, first-rate museums, brilliant chefs, and massive brewing scene, it’ll take several repeat visits to get through your list of must-dos," the magazine says.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker echoes that sentiment, saying in the release that "Chicago has everything: picturesque lakefronts, extraordinary architecture, world-class museums, the kindest people you’ll ever meet—and yes, the best pizza, too."

Chicago also recently ranked above New York and Los Angeles on a list of the nation's top 'foodie' cities, and one city and one iconic eatery even earned a spot on a Tripadvisor 2022 "Best of the Best" list.

Rounding out the magazine's list of Best Big Cities are Seattle at No. 10; Washington D.C. at No. 9; New Orleans at No. 8; San Francisco at No. 7; Boston at No. 6; New York City at No. 5; Nashville at No. 4; San Diego at No. 3 and Honolulu at No. 2.

https://infotourism.news/the-economi...ty-in-america/ The Economist publication names Atlanta the most livable city in America - Among its US counterparts, Atlanta scored relatively well on more than 30 factors related to culture, environment, health care, infrastructure, education, and what is broadly defined as “sustainability” according to the city’s livability index.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/r...st-cities.html The Best Cities for Generation Z - Atlanta finished first overall

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:07 PM
BANNED

I’d rather live back in Kensington then Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post
I’d rather live back in Kensington then Atlanta.
Than*

These are all subjective, but Atlanta should be surpassing Philly in population this year or next year.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Than*

These are all subjective, but Atlanta should be surpassing Philly in population this year or next year.
Atlantas going to jump 1m people?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Than*

Don’t count out the DelVal metro just yet, we’re booming again. Rust belts coming back!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Atlanta should be surpassing Philly in population this year or next year.
yes, the total population of metro atlanta will most likely surpass metro philly someday soon, no doubt.

but i don't think i'll live long enough to ever see metro atlanta come anywhere close to surpassing metro philly in population density.

MSA weighted population density:

9. Philadelphia....8,258.5 ppsm

42. Atlanta....2,686.4 ppsm

source: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...50#post9380250

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 8:38 PM

Also, Metro Atlanta covers a ridiculous amount of land. The Atlanta MSA covers 8,685 sq miles, compared to Philadelphia's 4,603.

At the CSA level, Atlanta covers 13,053 sq miles (!), compared to Philly's 7,336. All figures come from censusreporter.org.

So, not an apples to apples comparison in the least. Expand Philly's MSA or CSA to Atlanta's size, and it'd pick up part of NYC, probably even portions of Baltimore and DC, too.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Also, Metro Atlanta covers a ridiculous amount of land. The Atlanta MSA covers 8,685 sq miles, compared to Philadelphia's 4,603.

At the CSA level, Atlanta covers 13,053 sq miles (!), compared to Philly's 7,336. All figures come from censusreporter.org.

So, not an apples to apples comparison in the least. Expand Philly's MSA or CSA to Atlanta's size, and it'd pick up part of NYC, probably even portions of Baltimore and DC, too.
And the majority of the largest cities in the US are consolidated municipalities bloating their total while Atlanta isn't. Your point?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 9:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
And the majority of the largest cities in the US are consolidated municipalities bloating their total while Atlanta isn't.
and philly isn't one of those either.

philly proper: 134.4 sq mi | 1,603,797 people

atlanta proper: 135.3 sq mi | 498,715 people

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
And the majority of the largest cities in the US are consolidated municipalities bloating their total while Atlanta isn't. Your point?
We're not discussing municipalities- we're discussing metro areas at both the MSA and CSA level

Atlanta metro is a low-density sprawling beast. To boast that it will soon be larger than Philly isn't really a flex when the 'metro area' takes up like half of the state of Georgia.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:25 PM

The densification in central Atlanta is pretty exciting to see, and I thank the metro area for sending two blue senators to DC.

Personally, Atlanta is high on my list of cities to spend a couple of days in exploring -- in winter. Those *brutal* summers are a nonstarter for me.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
The densification in central Atlanta is pretty exciting to see, and I thank the metro area for sending two blue senators to DC.

Personally, Atlanta is high on my list of cities to spend a couple of days in exploring -- in winter. Those *brutal* summers are a nonstarter for me.
Atl doesn't really get that hot in the summer, due to elevation. Oftentimes, New York, Philly and DC are hotter and even more humid....

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
We're not discussing municipalities- we're discussing metro areas at both the MSA and CSA level

Atlanta metro is a low-density sprawling beast. To boast that it will soon be larger than Philly isn't really a flex when the 'metro area' takes up like half of the state of Georgia.
Yeah, we know.

It's about the fact of the real size of a place.

Whether you personally think Atlanta's density is good enough or not is irrelevant. Doesn't make it a smaller city.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by The North One; Oct 11, 2022 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 10:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Yeah but Philly is haunted by the depths of Gritty's black soul. Atlanta isn't.

Atlanta: 1
Philly: 0

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 8:06 AM

How does the crime rate in Atlanta compare to other cities?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 2:05 PM

But somewhere in Atlanta the ghost of Izzy wanders freely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions