HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
I’m sure this has been mentioned already, but for the 2nd largest city in the US, LA has some crazy city wildlife. Watch your Chihuahua dogs. You never know what kind of crazy creature will snatch them up. The mountain lions alone can snatch you up. The bears might take a dip in your pool. The extra large coyotes will troll your dogs, if they don’t eat them.
I would think Mountain lions would be largely pushed out of LA for quite some time.

I once watched a mountain lion cross the street in Phoenix, very rare to see one in the city it was 4am and was crossing from a mountain/butte area across to a Golf course but they generally avoid population

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
I’m sure this has been mentioned already, but for the 2nd largest city in the US, LA has some crazy city wildlife. Watch your Chihuahua dogs. You never know what kind of crazy creature will snatch them up. The mountain lions alone can snatch you up. The bears might take a dip in your pool. The extra large coyotes will troll your dogs, if they don’t eat them.
Can't get caught slippin out here in these mean streets. You might have to throw down with a bear at any moment.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I would think Mountain lions would be largely pushed out of LA for quite some time.

I once watched a mountain lion cross the street in Phoenix, very rare to see one in the city it was 4am and was crossing from a mountain/butte area across to a Golf course but they generally avoid population
Nope, we still have quite a few and are now building the worlds largest wildlife bridge across the 101 in northern LA county so that the gene pool of the population can diversity. There's the famous mountain lion in Griffith Park (P22), dozens in the Santa Monica mountains and plenty in the San Gabriel and Verdugo mountains

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:28 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

P-22, L.A. celebrity mountain lion, euthanized due to severe injuries

Laura J. Nelson, James Queally
Los Angeles Times
December 17, 2022

The mountain lion P-22, who lived in the heart of Los Angeles for more than a decade and became the face of an international campaign to save Southern California’s threatened pumas, was euthanized Saturday because of several long-term health concerns and injuries that likely stemmed from being hit by a car, officials said.

In a tearful news conference, wildlife biologists described multiple chronic illnesses that may have contributed to the mountain lion’s recent uncharacteristic behavior. The big cat of Griffith Park was “compassionately euthanized” at about 9 a.m., officials said.

“This really hurts, and I know that,” said Chuck Bonham, director of the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. “It’s been an incredibly difficult several days. And for myself, I’ve felt the entire weight of the city of Los Angeles.”

Officials with the National Park Service and the state’s wildlife department decided to capture and evaluate the mountain lion earlier this month after he began to exhibit increasing “signs of distress,” including three attacks on dogs in a month and several near-miss encounters with people walking in Los Feliz and Silver Lake.

The big cat was captured Monday in a backyard in Los Feliz, sedated and taken in for medical evaluation. The night before his capture, an anonymous caller had reported a vehicle collision with a mountain lion a few blocks south of Griffith Park, and P-22’s radio collar placed him nearby, officials said.

Health exams revealed that P-22 weighed about 90 pounds, a loss of nearly one-fourth of his usual body weight. The big cat had a skull fracture, an injury to his right eye, herniated organs and a torn diaphragm, said Hendrik Nollens, vice president of wildlife health at the San Diego Zoo. Doctors also discovered P-22 had heart, kidney and liver disease, a thinning coat and a parasitic infection.
. . . .

P-22 was thought to be about 12 years old.
. . . .

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:32 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 4:55 AM

The last few years I’ve seen more Coyotes around Chicago’s northside. A couple years ago I nearly collided with one when I was biking on Elston Ave at Rockwell st where it just randomly walked in front of me. Usually they tried to keep distance from humans but I think people might be feeding them. They won’t move when you walk past them but dog owners should be very careful and definitely not leave pets unattended in unfenced areas.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:08 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I saw what I thought was a fox on the Metra Electric rails the other night, in Hyde Park. Maybe it was a coyote? The lighting was very good.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:01 PM

Victoria, BC has feral Peacocks walking around the city.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just deer. That and some ducks near the river.

There's a separate clause for NJ Manufacturers car insurance for Deer because there's a lot of them here. They tend to commit Seppuku by running into cars a lot, especially when chasing female deer during the rut. Lots of white-tailed deer out here. When driving, if you see one deer cross the road, slow down, as others may be following. Although a bit hard on the highway as they do get hit, and particularly violent when the Amazon Prime truck hits a deer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:56 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Sad news about P-22 who's the most widely known mountain lion in CA.
I saw a bobcat yesterday down by the lake and at first I thought it was some sort of designer housecat. On closer inspection the thing was just too big to be a housecat, but not that much bigger.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:13 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Sad news about P-22 who's the most widely known mountain lion in CA.
I saw a bobcat yesterday down by the lake and at first I thought it was some sort of designer housecat. On closer inspection the thing was just too big to be a housecat, but not that much bigger.
Yes that's very sad news about P-22. He's likely the last wild mountain lion we'll ever see in Griffith Park. The end of an era.

In happier news, winter is whale-watching season in California.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Yes that's very sad news about P-22. He's likely the last wild mountain lion we'll ever see in Griffith Park. The end of an era.

In happier news, winter is whale-watching season in California.

Video Link
Possibly the last, but maybe not. The same day that the death of P22 was announced, the birth of 4 new mountain lion cubs nearby in the Santa Monica Mountains was announced. With the steady / growing number of lions in the area, one may decide to venture into Griffith now that P22 is no longer there. Fingers crossed it happens.

Last edited by LosAngelesSportsFan; Dec 20, 2022 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 11:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ meanwhile, in sad whale news —

Sperm whale dies on Rockaway Beach despite surfers’ efforts to save endangered mammal

Emma Seiwell, New York Daily News - Tuesday

An endangered female sperm whale died Tuesday after washing up on Rockaway Beach in Queens, the city’s Parks Department said.

The agency was alerted around 9 a.m. to the massive mammal on the shore near Beach 73rd St. in Arverne.

Video posted to social media showed surfers trying in vain to get the 32-foot whale all the way back into the water.

“We mourn the loss of this awe-inspiring creature,” a Parks spokesman said.

more:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sp...al/ar-AA15fceR

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:09 AM

Seattle has lots of bunnies.

There is also the occasional squirrel.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 6:05 AM
A Man In Dandism

Mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes are pretty common here, as well as whales (humpback, gray, sperm, killer, and blue), bald eagles, and other various birds of prey. And of course, the sea lions, harbor seals, and elephant seals and various sharks (Great Whites and Leopards seem to be the most common) and rays.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes are pretty common here, as well as whales (humpback, gray, sperm, killer, and blue), bald eagles, and other various birds of prey. And of course, the sea lions, harbor seals, and elephant seals and various sharks (Great Whites and Leopards seem to be the most common) and rays.

when you said rays it reminded me of a pic i had of our man vs ray version.

i found it -- its from the coney island pier.

'memba when insta pix had frames?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:57 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned I don't think in the thread that's pretty cool are the big horn sheep in Papago Park in Tempe, AZ:

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...taff/10344765/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 1:07 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Can't get caught slippin out here in these mean streets. You might have to throw down with a bear at any moment.

Video Link

Video Link
Bears have entered the chat as far in as Richmond Heights in StL county, now. They have been getting in the trash in west county where I (unfortunately) live now.

KSDK.com

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:01 AM
Paradise Island

Minneapolis has a significant number of urban turkeys now. They always seem incongruous when you see them in an urban setting, because they are way to big to be a city bird:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions