HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:42 PM
Downtowner

I lived in South America for 4 years and took many a crazy bus, and I swore that upon my return to the US I would never set foot in another one. And I have kept to my promise, no busses for me, only rail!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
I lived in South America for 4 years and took many a crazy bus, and I swore that upon my return to the US I would never set foot in another one. And I have kept to my promise, no busses for me, only rail!
That's very close minded thinking. Also, how can you know that a bus in LA is the same experience as South America?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 7:38 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ But not that it's unnecessary. Not that the Grove shouldn't be one day served by transit modally superior to rapid bus. The best metro systems in the world have extensive coverage that don't necessitate bus transfers. Not that riding the bus is anything to be ashamed of, but it is clearly not as efficient as a subway.

It's pretty apparent that the Pink Line has been axed and replaced with a northern Crenshaw extension up San Vicente. I'm wondering if a second branch up Fairfax or La Brea is possible. Fairfax has the density and destinations; La Brea provides better spacing and quicker travel times. I'm thinking a branch up La Brea and a mixed-flow streetcar down Fairfax.

It is really an injustice if there isn't any connector to the red line hollywood/highland stop. It is critical to be able to continue farther west from that site even if it is a quick link to the purple line around la brea.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 7:47 PM
Downtowner

I am far from close minded, I was in the peace corps in South America for god's sake. I was also mostly joking about the bus. However this sentiment represents the mentality of many people in our city and across the country concerning mass-transit.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:07 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I live a few blocks away from the Venice/Robertson station (in Culver Station) and I've been keeping an eye on the goings on regarding that station. While it's good that the elevator shafts are being installed (that station is taking it's sweet ass time getting put together), what's more interesting is that across the street, there is a lot of concrete K-rails. They weren't there a few days ago. Not sure if that means anything but it would appear that something is about to happen. Also, it looks like they are cleaning the Palms ROW.
It would be very exciting if they started construction on the elevated portion of the line this soon. On Phase 1, it took a couple years, if I remember correctly. I'm just assuming that it would be the elevated portion, since it is so close to the so called 'mega-station'.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Countdown to DesertXpress begins

March 28, 2011

States and regions across the country are working tirelessly to realize President Obama's vision for American high-speed rail. And on Friday, I had the pleasure of joining Nevada Senator Harry Reid to announce that construction on the DesertXpress corridor between Las Vegas and Southern California will soon get underway.

The DesertXpress project cleared a major hurdle last Friday when the Federal Railroad Administration released its final environmental impact statement.

http://fastlane.dot.gov/2011/03/coun...tatement-.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:41 PM

Check out this unbelievable propaganda website put up by BHUSD: http://centurycitysubway.org/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:06 PM
Downtowner

Lets talk about where we think the metro should expand to beyond the lines that are currently in planning. I feel that we should build a line up from union station under Ceasar Chavez and Sunset connecting with the red line in Hollywood and then continuing down Sunset to West Hollywood then down La Cienega to the Purple line extension and south to the expo line. This line should be entirely subterrenean.

I know this is not really feasible in our current economic climate

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:21 AM
Paramoderator

I really think that they should put a heavy rail down Ocean, one of the densest streets in the city. It would also be great if put a branch of the purple line down San Vicente, because then it would go past my 'hood, but I don't think that is ever going to happen.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Too bad they can't figure out a way to reuse the old PE subway tunnel.

I know about the Bonaventure Hotel. Couldn't they somehow go around it?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:11 PM

^^^^ I was surprised to find out recently that there is quite a bit of old PE ROW that bisects Long Beach diagonally from the Blue Line's Willow Station all the way to Colorado Lagoon/Marine Stadium/Belmont Shore/Naples area. Unfortunately, there has also been quite a bit of awkward diagonal-shaped development over the years in some parts of it(maybe about half of it by glancing at a Google satellite image?) that would make its use more difficult if not more expensive to use. For my own selfish reasons, it would have been nice had the Blue Line made it all the way to Belmont Shore/Naples, and if there was room, a bike path too. However, I don't think the residents there or the Eastside in general would have been too thrilled about that. :\ Although that may change if traffic continues to get worse.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:48 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Wow! I had no idea Desert Xpress was that close to construction. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, HSR between L.A. metro and Vegas. Sure, it's Victorville, but you know what? A hell of a lot of L.A. to Vegas commuters will make the quick trip to Victorville and take the train the rest of the way! I-15 is a nightmare Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons, not to mention the unbearable heat in the summertime leads to dozens after dozens of overheated vehicles going up those grades, especially Mountain Pass!

Again, simply amazing!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Wow! I had no idea Desert Xpress was that close to construction. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, HSR between L.A. metro and Vegas.

Are you serious? You act like DesertXpress just opened. This doesn't do much at all. They don't even have funding. And like I said, the Palmdale extension is a separate project with it's own EIR.

Quote:
Sure, it's Victorville, but you know what? A hell of a lot of L.A. to Vegas commuters will make the quick trip to Victorville and take the train the rest of the way!
LOL, don't bet on it. In all honesty, it's likely that only High Desert residents are probably gonna end up making the trip via DesertXpress. But I certainly wouldn't wanna drive up the Cajon Pass in gridlock traffic.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 2:49 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

Are you serious? You act like DesertXpress just opened. This doesn't do much at all. They don't even have funding. And like I said, the Palmdale extension is a separate project with it's own EIR.

LOL, don't bet on it. In all honesty, it's likely that only High Desert residents are probably gonna end up making the trip via DesertXpress. But I certainly wouldn't wanna drive up the Cajon Pass in gridlock traffic.
No, I don't act like it just opened, JDRCRASH. I act like it just crossed a huge hurdle, the biggest hurdle that would keep it from likely getting the finding needed for construction. It's a lot easier getting funding for a project that's already been given the green light than it is for one that's in permitting limbo.

To be perfectly honest with you, a LOT of people will do LA Metro to Victorville route and get on the train. Certainly lots of people from the West Metro (ie: heading up the 14 to Palmdale, heading east on Pearblossom to Victorville. And I believe lots of people from the Inland Empire will do it as well, given that it's only a short jaunt across Cajon Pass. Granted, Cajon Pass sucks during Vegas commuting rush hour as well, but the 15's at least 3 or 4 laned from San Bernardino to Victorville... Besides, either way, people STILL have to go over Cajon Summit, no matter what. I don't see a huge advantage in getting Desert XPress to Palmdale, at least not until HSR gets to Palmdale from Bakersfield/Central Valley.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
To be perfectly honest with you, a LOT of people will do LA Metro to Victorville route and get on the train. Certainly lots of people from the West Metro (ie: heading up the 14 to Palmdale, heading east on Pearblossom to Victorville. And I believe lots of people from the Inland Empire will do it as well, given that it's only a short jaunt across Cajon Pass. Granted, Cajon Pass sucks during Vegas commuting rush hour as well, but the 15's at least 3 or 4 laned from San Bernardino to Victorville... Besides, either way, people STILL have to go over Cajon Summit, no matter what. I don't see a huge advantage in getting Desert XPress to Palmdale, at least not until HSR gets to Palmdale from Bakersfield/Central Valley.

Aaron (Glowrock)
All that gridlock on the 14, 18 (only one lane), and 15 freeways trying to get to the Victorville station? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:29 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
All that gridlock on the 14, 18 (only one lane), and 15 freeways trying to get to the Victorville station? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.
I think you lost the big picture lost in a thicket within a forest.
They aren't trying to grow the number of Las Vegas vacationers.
They aren't trying to steal, at least initially, airline passengers.
They aren't trying to make everyone driving to Las Vegas take the train.

What they are trying to do is get 30% of those driving all the way to drive part of the way and ride their trains the rest of the way. It's around 180 miles from Victorville to Las Vegas on I-15. Their train can be seen from I-15 most of the way, just 20 miles or so will the train be out of sight from the freeway.

Imagine a DesertXpress train at 150 mph zooming pass your car on the freeway doing 70, 75, or 80 mph. You've been on the freeway for several hours when this happens, and you're still several hours away from Las Vegas.
With trains running every hour both ways, you could see four or more of these fast trains zipping pass you. You will certainly think about taking their train the next time you drive to Las Vegas. The EIS assumes at least 30% of the drivers will, that's why Barstow is against this train.

I believe seeing makes believing easier, and for those who can afford taking the train, many will. Not even everyone will have to drive to Victorville. I foresee dozens, if not hundreds, of tourist buses - which used to go all the way to Las Vegas - will turn off the freeway in Victorville to drop you off at their train station.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:31 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about, JDRCRASH? Remember one thing:

If people from the L.A. Basin drive to Vegas, they MUST either use the 14 through Palmdale to Victorville or use Cajon Pass (or one or two other San Bernardino area options). This isn't a matter of whether people will use these roads, it's a matter of whether people will park their cars in Victorville to take the train the rest of the way.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:06 PM
BANNED

I'm with JDR on this one. It seem like a lot of trouble driving to Victorville to leave a car and get on a train. The time saving disappears when you consider the time lost in getting off the freeway, parking, transferring luggage, buying tickets, waiting for the train, getting to the LV train station, collecting luggage, getting a cab. The airplane doesn't require a drive to Victorville, which itself is 2 hours at any kind of rush hour. And if you have 3 or more in the car, the savings are going to be large.

I make this drive from time to time and excluding Friday evening and Sunday afternoon it is 80 mph most of the way. About 4 hours total from the westside or the OC. And, again, electric cars will dominate by the time the rail is built.

In any event, these guys aren't serious are they? I assume they were just trying to feed on govt. funding for transit projects that's out there for anyone to bid on. If it really were a money-maker, private funds would rush in.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 10:02 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Bloomberg New Energy Finance estimates that only 22% of the auto market will be dominated by electrics in 2030—I don’t expect it will take that long to build a link from San Bernardino to Las Vegas.

And from what I understand, DesertXPress is trying to get loans (not grants) from the Railroad Rehabilitation Improvement Financing program, which isn’t the same pot as the federal passenger rail and HSR funds. These loans, AFAIK, have so far been primarily used for freight improvements (and I wouldn’t be surprised that DesertXPress is asking for is larger than previous loan requests, as well).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 11:07 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I'm with JDR on this one. It seem like a lot of trouble driving to Victorville to leave a car and get on a train. The time saving disappears when you consider the time lost in getting off the freeway, parking, transferring luggage, buying tickets, waiting for the train, getting to the LV train station, collecting luggage, getting a cab. The airplane doesn't require a drive to Victorville, which itself is 2 hours at any kind of rush hour. And if you have 3 or more in the car, the savings are going to be large.

I make this drive from time to time and excluding Friday evening and Sunday afternoon it is 80 mph most of the way. About 4 hours total from the westside or the OC. And, again, electric cars will dominate by the time the rail is built.

In any event, these guys aren't serious are they? I assume they were just trying to feed on govt. funding for transit projects that's out there for anyone to bid on. If it really were a money-maker, private funds would rush in.
Consider it to be a long-distance park and ride, pesto. For someone who doesn't like desert driving, doesn't like hours of driving at all, the train's going to look pretty good. Especially if it's only a relatively short drive to Victorville from home, if home's somewhere in the Riverside/San Bernardino area. I do agree, it's a bit harder to justify for those coming from the middle or west parts of the L.A. Metro (the drive just from Palmdale to Victorville can be a drag sometimes), but still, I see the Desert XPress being quite a worthwhile endeavor.

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation