HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 5:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
City Council Gives Unanimous Nod to New Bike Plan

By Damien Newton
March 1, 2011

It’s all over but the signing. And that’s scheduled for tomorrow.

By a 12-0 vote, the Los Angeles City Council approved the Bike Plan sending it to the Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s desk for a signature. The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition and Villaraigosa have already announced the signing will take place tomorrow on the steps of City Hall.

While not at today’s hearing, Villaraigosa tweeted his congratulations and released a statement to Streetsblog promising a bright, and well-funded, future for bike planning.

“The 2010 Bicycle Plan is another great example of Measure R funds at work–we are investing in bicycling as a viable transportation option and in the process encouraging Angelenos to lead healthy, active lifestyles. With the addition of 1,600 miles of bikeways, Los Angeles is on the path to becoming a world-class city for bicycling.”

To top it off, city officials were sounding like advocates, or at least adopting our terms. LADOT Interim General Manager Amir Sedadi referred to the Backbone Bikeway Network and Councilman Paul Koretz talked about the “4th Street Bike Boulevard.” These terms have been the turf of insiders for years. But today, everyone was an insider.

As for the plan itself, there are many highlights. Quoted text via a fact sheet from the Mayor’s Office.

The plan builds on the City’s past two plans (1977 and 1996) by more than doubling the number of bikeway miles to be developed.

The overall goal is to construct over 1600 miles of bikeways and create a continuous north-south/east-west bicycle network in the city.

In order to ensure that this plan does not just gather dust on a shelf, the Mayor’s office insisted on including an aggressive 5-year implementation strategy.

“Unlike previous plans, this plan has an implementation plan,” commented Alexis Lantz of the LACBC. Basically, this time parts of the plan are actually going to get built quickly.

http://la.streetsblog.org/2011/03/01...new-bike-plan/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 9:38 AM
BANNED

i would love to see bikes become a huge way of life in la

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 4:24 PM

I went to the Big Blue Bus meeting yesterday at Santa Monica public library. Here's some information on route adjustments in August 2011 and February 2012

August 2011
1 - Eliminate service south of Pico blvd on the 1 route and extend some 2 route trips to Manchester to make up for loss service

2 - Extend the Rapid 7 via Crenshaw and Wilshire boulevard from Pico/Rimpau to Wilshire/Western. The reasons for this was 1) the clearance from Metro and 2) the articulated buses will not fit at Pico-Rimpau terminal. This will be a weekday service only. New stops at Crenshaw/Pico, Crenshaw/Olympic, Crenshaw/Wilshire and ending at Wilshire/Western

3 - Increased frequency on the Rapid 7 (current 10 minute during peak, will increase to 8). The 7 bus will see a decrease in frequency from 10 min to 15 min in peak periods

4 - Elimination of Route 13, the lowest producing line in the system.

5 - Big Blue Bus # 10 will become a Rapid bus (no articulated buses though, only Rapid 7 will get those). Local stops to be eliminated, but route will be the exact same.

February 2012 changes, primarily to integrate with Expo Line

1 - First, before getting into the Expo Line changes, something cool will happen with Local 3 and Local 14. Local 3 will take over the 14's route north on Barrington and the 14 will head towards UCLA via Wilshire boulevard from Bundy. No change to Rapid 3. The 2 lines will switch their northern routes. It was found more UCLA students live along the 14 route than the 3 route, so the routes will be swapped north of Wilshire.

2 - Route 12 to be re-branded as Rapid 12 with new weekend service and connect with Expo Line at Venice/Robertson via Westwood and Sepulveda. Local route 12 will also follow the new route of Rapid 12. Thus, your first Expo Line to UCLA line!!!

3 - As expected, route 5 to eliminate service east of Robertson, will now head north-south on Robertson to connect with Venice/Roberston station. Your first Expo Line-Century City-Santa Monica connection!

Note: the timing of the change to the 5 and 12 will depend on Expo Line's opening day. If Venice/Robertson opens earlier or later, the 5 and 12 will be re-routed on that day.

When Phase II opens, expect a lot more changes to the Big Blue Bus system was the final word. Looks like BBB will do it's best to accomodate the new rail line. They're excited!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:13 AM
Paramoderator

For some odd reason, I have become very interested in both the new and not used turnstiles and the TAP cards in the Metro stations. I have a few questions. Which Expo Line stations, if any, will have turnstiles? I assume all the elevated ones, but will any of the at grade stations have it? Also, is there any timetable right now to have the turnstiles locked and paper TAP cards instituted? Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 1:51 AM

Metrolink plans rush-hour express trains to downtown
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...s-angeles.html

Quote:
The express trains will run mornings and evenings from the Antelope Valley and San Bernardino to downtown’s Union Station beginning in May. In traffic, both commutes take about two hours by car, according to Google Maps.
The San Bernardino express will take an hour, compared to the current 90 minutes for trains that make about a dozen stops. The express will stop only in Rancho Cucamonga and Covina.

The new service from Lancaster, 70 miles north of Los Angeles, will take 88 minutes, compared to the current two-hour Metrolink run. It will make stops in Santa Clarita and Burbank, rather than all of the line’s 11 stations.

The express trains will be on top of the current schedule and will continue for a six-month evaluation period. If successful, express service could be added for other outlying counties, officials said.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Metrolink plans rush-hour express trains to downtown
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...s-angeles.html
This is great news. Any idea how long the express train is gonna take to get from Union Station to Santa Clarita?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:18 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

From The Transit Coalition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokhan
BREAKING NEWS -- Expo Line officially gets rolling to its final destination, with no more stops in between

Today the feeling in the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors hearing room could be best described as ecstasy. After the Phase 2 design - build contract got awarded, cheers and applauses were shaking the the room.

Votes on all items were unanimous, with each board member expressing their happiness and strongly emphasizing the importance of the day.

Paul Koretz had taken the seat of Bernard Parks, but he clarified that Parks couldn't have voted even if he was present because of a certain conflict of interest.

Interestingly, there wasn't a single opposition person present today, either from the Phase 1 or the Phase 2 neighborhoods.

In fact the Phase 2 opposition, known by the name Neighbors for Smart Rail (NFSR), suffered a double blow today.

The first and obvious blow to the opposition was the overcoming of the final planning milestone and official rolling of the construction to Santa Monica.

But the second blow was much more subtle. In private conversations, members of NFSR expressed how unhappy they were with the gigantic railroad bridge over Sepulveda Boulevard that was now added to the project. East of Exposition and Sepulveda Boulevards is entirely made up of single-family homes. Now, a 30-ft-high mechanically stabilized earth retaining wall will span all the way from Sepulveda Boulevard to Military Avenue, though tapering to grade level at Military. NFSR members expressed that this giant bridge and wall will divide their neighborhood and there will be more noise impacts with a bridge than at-grade. They were also very unhappy with the fact that the bridge will result in a maximally large development by Casden, as it will give the property the full access to Exposition Boulevard and surrounding streets.

But all this is because NFSR demonized at-grade rail, even though they knew inside that it was better to go at-grade for the immediate neighborhood. Now, they will suffer the consequences of not working with the construction authority and opposing all solutions offered to them.

NFSR also stated that they are about to file their appeal to the judge's denial of their petition against the Phase 2 final environmental-impact report (FEIR).

As the bridge over Sepulveda was unanimously approved, with Zev Yaroslavsky stating that the reason for the choice of this option is not safety but the community impacts that would result because of eminent domain to widen the street with an at-grade solution and the small cost difference between the two solutions, there came the second option on the table.

Most community members had asked for the removal of parking at Westwood Station. While Zev expressed his concerns that there may not be sufficient parking for the line in the area after the removal of this station, the removal of parking was also approved unanimously.

The official groundbreaking ceremony will likely take place in May 2011. The line will open in early 2015.

In addition to the approval of these options, the project-labor agreement, which had some modifications, the agreement by the City of Los Angeles to pay $5.3 million for the Sepulveda bridge using their West LA traffic-mitigation funds, and a limited notice to proceed for $127 million out of the design - build contract's $541 million, was also part of the motion associated with the approval of the Phase 2 design - build contract. The motion was unanimously approved. Note that the $127 million is expected to be spent during the first year or earlier and the remaining notice to proceed will be issued then.

Note that there were a lot of speakers from labor organizations in support of the project.

After the motion was approved, cheers and applauses filled the room. Fast forward to the end of the meeting audio Part 2 to experience the great moment in bringing the Expo Line to reality.

Meeting audio Part 1
Meeting audio Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell
Here are some new photos from today (hmmm, why was I going downtown?)....

Where the Blue and Expo Line trains go underground on Flower north of 12th Street.

Trees are on Flower! Palms are along Trade Tech and clustered north of the Jefferson station, and ginkgos are along the planter strip south of Adams.

Looking back north will be very photogenic!

Ginkgos are along the USC median. Second from left (along with a few others) is starting to leaf for the spring.

The yellow edge tiles are installed at Farmdale, to be ready for train testing.

Here's a new view of the side frames, elevator glass, and parking structure progress at La Cienega.

And the elevator frames are installed at the Culver City station.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 7:38 PM
Paramoderator

Looking good! Exciting to know that Phase 2 has started construction. I pass by the Olympic ROW almost every day, so I will be able to keep constant tabs. Nice pictures, too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 8:42 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Very nice elevator frames—I have a weakness for the external diagonal structure-look (even if it’s more ornamental than structural, as it looks like here). It’s good to see an American transit project that isn’t VE’d to the bone.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 8:48 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

[QUOTE=Westsidelife;5206945]From The Transit Coalition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokhan
But the second blow was much more subtle. In private conversations, members of NFSR expressed how unhappy they were with the gigantic railroad bridge over Sepulveda Boulevard that was now added to the project. East of Exposition and Sepulveda Boulevards is entirely made up of single-family homes. Now, a 30-ft-high mechanically stabilized earth retaining wall will span all the way from Sepulveda Boulevard to Military Avenue, though tapering to grade level at Military. NFSR members expressed that this giant bridge and wall will divide their neighborhood and there will be more noise impacts with a bridge than at-grade. They were also very unhappy with the fact that the bridge will result in a maximally large development by Casden, as it will give the property the full access to Exposition Boulevard and surrounding streets.

But all this is because NFSR demonized at-grade rail, even though they knew inside that it was better to go at-grade for the immediate neighborhood. Now, they will suffer the consequences of not working with the construction authority and opposing all solutions offered to them.
There’s so much irony here—an anti-rail NIMBY group (or at least that’s what they look like to me) actually enabled a grade separation which should decrease travel time and increase reliability, making rail even more attractive, plus enabling a large TOD. Hopefully the decreased parking will help drive up local transit use and start putting pressure towards improving the pedestrian environment.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:19 AM

I think this would be fantastic. I thought they plan on a future extension of a station.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The official groundbreaking ceremony will likely take place in May 2011. The line will open in early 2015.
Given past history on the Expo line, this should probably just be amended to at least 2016, maybe 2017.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:14 PM

In Gokhan's eyes they may seem to be a "blow to NFSR", but they really did want grade seperations on the train and Sepulveda made total sense to be grade separated. It allows the train to go faster through the interesection and one less thorough-fare of the train possibly having to wait for cars to pass through. Sit through the agony on Long Beach boulevard and having to wait for cars while you're on a train. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:35 PM
Sonoma Strong

expo looks fantastic. glad that phase II is coming!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
Ascension

I live a few blocks away from the Venice/Robertson station (in Culver Station) and I've been keeping an eye on the goings on regarding that station. While it's good that the elevator shafts are being installed (that station is taking it's sweet ass time getting put together), what's more interesting is that across the street, there is a lot of concrete K-rails. They weren't there a few days ago. Not sure if that means anything but it would appear that something is about to happen. Also, it looks like they are cleaning the Palms ROW.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:10 PM
Downtowner

Just thought I'd say hello, I am a new Angeleno. I live downtown and take the red line from Pershing Square to Union Station and then the metrolink to work in the OC. I love not having to use my car for days on end. In fact I get abit annoyed if I have to go anywhere where I cant get to on the metro. I am really hoping the purple line to Westwood and Santa Monica gets going soon. A red line extension to weho would be awesome to. It takes me more time to drive from Downtown to the Grove than it does for me to drive to Long Beach!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
Just thought I'd say hello, I am a new Angeleno. I live downtown and take the red line from Pershing Square to Union Station and then the metrolink to work in the OC. I love not having to use my car for days on end. In fact I get abit annoyed if I have to go anywhere where I cant get to on the metro. I am really hoping the purple line to Westwood and Santa Monica gets going soon. A red line extension to weho would be awesome to. It takes me more time to drive from Downtown to the Grove than it does for me to drive to Long Beach!
Hello, welcome to the LA forums. This was called the "Pink Line". However, Metro has all but ditched that idea in favor of extending the Crenshaw Corridor north via San Vincente-Santa Monica, instead.

An extension of the Grove streetcar down 3rd Street to the Beverly Center station seems like a good option.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:42 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Welcome to LA, IconRPCV. It sounds like Metro/Metrolink suit your needs well enough. Good for you. I hope you've taken it upon yourself to encourage others to act accordingly.

I'd also like to point out that the Metro Rapid is a good option if you're interested in going to BH or WH. It shouldn't be more than a 20-minute ride on either the 720 or 704 from Wilshire/Western and Vermont/Santa Monica, respectively. When Expo II opens, you can hop on the BBB to get to Westwood. That's about a 10-minute trip. Get creative.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:10 AM

^ Agreed with westsidelife. It would be nice to have trains to the Grove, etc..., but reality is that we don't. But we do have Rapid buses that go between our subway stations to the westside very easy. Our Rapid system is one of the best systems in the US and something other cities try to emulate. So just because the train doesn't go there, doesn't mean it's not accessible. Take a ride on the 720....80,000 bus boardings a day does mean that it's already very popular.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 7:01 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ But not that it's unnecessary. Not that the Grove shouldn't be one day served by transit modally superior to rapid bus. The best metro systems in the world have extensive coverage that don't necessitate bus transfers. Not that riding the bus is anything to be ashamed of, but it is clearly not as efficient as a subway.

It's pretty apparent that the Pink Line has been axed and replaced with a northern Crenshaw extension up San Vicente. I'm wondering if a second branch up Fairfax or La Brea is possible. Fairfax has the density and destinations; La Brea provides better spacing and quicker travel times. I'm thinking a branch up La Brea and a mixed-flow streetcar down Fairfax.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation