HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha View Post
I think both Bootstrap and JDRCrash are confused on Measure M2 funding. Measure M2 is 25% dedicated to public transportation, which includes buses and Metrolink. Orange County is using their Metrolink portion to grade seperate and build a 3rd track for Metrolink through Orange County. This is an INDIRECT benefit to HSR as one of the plans of HSR is to use the existing Metrolink tracks for the LA to Irvine section. So yes, in a way, Measure M2 is helping to fund INDIRECTLY HSR...only through track improvements.

JDR.....the West Santa Ana Branch Corridor project has only identified funding through Measure R ($240 million)..LA's tax, not OC's. There's nothing here on West Santa Ana Branch in Measure M2: http://www.octa.net/ataglance_transit.aspx. This ROW was not even on the radar in '06 when the tax measure was renewed.
Interesting, a grade-seperated third track. That would be awesome. Although, i personally think HSR shouldn't share tracks with Metrolink, despite the costs.

Quote:
Also, to say at this point it's very likely light rail will be chosen is really really really really preliminary. The Alternative Analysis is not even done yet!
Well realistically, Light Rail makes the most sense, as it's faster than BRT, but serves more stations than HSR.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 5:03 AM
TL;DR

Why can't they share tracks? It's more efficient that way, although Metrolink will have to switch to lighter vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 6:43 AM

HSR needs to stay separated because the (stupid) FRA safety guidelines state that any train on track connected to or using track also used by freight trains must be able to withstand a collision with one. Acela's shown problems with this as track wear happens far too quickly and the rails need to be replaced much more than necessary. In Europe, where such regulations don't exist, all trains are far lighter and less money is spent on renovation.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:17 PM

Wait, wait, wait. Who said the 3rd track is 100% grade seperated? I said "Measure M2 is 25% dedicated to public transportation, which includes buses and Metrolink. Orange County is using their Metrolink portion to grade seperate and build a 3rd track for Metrolink through Orange County."

I didn't mean to say that a specific 3rd track is built for HSR. 3rd track is for freight, Metrolink, and potential HSR. Also, OC is not doing 100% grade seperation. I didn't say that. They are working on SOME grade seperations. I said "grade seperations", I never said a "full grade seperation". Haha...got to love the distortions of my message.

Bottom line: Measure M2 has 25% of it's tax devoted to public transit. OC is using that 25% on Metrolink track improvements, ADDING A 3RD TRACK for Metrolink, HSR, OR Freight services (NOT 3 TRACKS, A SINGLE 3RD TRACK), SOME grade seperations on busy intersections, and parking structures (OC loves its parking!). The rest of the 25% will be used for improved bus connections.

HSR is still working on the EIR for the LA to Anaheim segment. One of the alternatives was to build a fully grade seperated track (this time I said 'fully') between LA and Anaheim, but the cost was between $2 - $4 billion. People are now advocating on sharing the existing Metrolink tracks, which will be a significant cost reduction, offset with lower speeds. But this is still in the EIR so who knows the final product.

JDR...I wouldn't bet on HSR or Maglev for the West Santa Ana branch. It's pie in the sky, but has to be considered..whatever. Most likely, it will be light rail, DMU, or bus rapid transit; all dependent upon future connections (i.e. a tie-in with the Green Line at a new station off the I-105 and possible northern use of the Alameda corridor towards downtown LA).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 11:12 PM

Anyone have a graphic version of the proposed route for the downtown streetcar that was proposed today?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 11:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 11:24 PM

^^ Much thanks, Westside

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:36 AM

option 1 is MUCH better. the financial core needs to be served.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:46 PM

Subways Should Get a Line on Business Sponsorships

February 14, 2011

By JOEL EPSTEIN

Read More: http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...-sponsorships/

Quote:
Imagine at rush hour getting on the Metro Purple Line at Occidental Petroleum Westwood Station and being at Farmers Field fast. No 405, no 10, no 110 followed by the nightmare and cost of parking. Just a calm wait on the Westwood station platform for a scheduled train arriving from the VA or, better yet, Third Street in Santa Monica.

Naming rights can help us build the Wilshire Boulevard subway extension and the 11 other critical public transit projects that 30/10 promises now, rather than in two, four, 30 or however many years it takes until we again see a majority in the House and Senate who believe in the importance of a new New Deal or infrastructure bank for America.

To hear the critics assail the idea of corporate naming rights for critical infrastructure projects like the subway one might think that “Wilshire” was the name of a Greek god rather than an L.A. real estate speculator. For the naming rights to Wilshire Boulevard, L.A.’s grand concourse, we didn’t even get a dime to the best of my knowledge.

If I were king, mayor or Metro’s chief executive, I would be all over this, negotiating with Farmers, Occidental Petroleum, Sony and others for a deal for the naming rights to the entire Wilshire subway extension all the way to the sea.

The time has come to get serious about making the most of the greatest brand around. No not the subway, per say, Los Angeles. If AEG can sell for $700 million the right to name a downtown L.A. football stadium without a National Football League team attached, then L.A. Metro can find Fortune 100 companies interested in buying the rights to name a bunch of new subway stations, trains and track.

In a new film, entirely paid for by corporate sponsors, the director who showed us the underbelly of the fast-food industry turns his camera on corporate underwriting in the film business. You may think whatever you wish of the filmmaker or the reality he takes on, but at the end of the day, the underwriting paid for his movie.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 10:24 PM

^ Amen! Do this asap so that we can build the lines in the next few years. i dont think anyone would rather wait to build the new lines and not have them named after corporations.

i couldnt care less if the station is called 7th street metro, or Carls jr 7th street station.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:45 AM

I dont like the idea of naming stations after sponsors. I think it could only make things more confusing (and maybe a little civicly soul crushing?).

Im all for putting a lot of advertisement in the stations however. This is not done nearly enough. A lot of people use the subway (and many more when the purple line is extended). Im sure a pretty penny is to be made doing that.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 5:12 AM

Well, maybe this is good news. The Chamber of Commerce appears to support 30/10:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...n-funding.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Well, maybe this is good news. The Chamber of Commerce appears to support 30/10:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...n-funding.html
Since the Chamber basically owns the House Republicans, hopefully this means there is a chance to get 30/10 passed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

I was about to make a snide post about how local chambers of commerce don’t necessary line up with the national chamber but…whoa! It is the U. S. Chamber!

I’m not totally surprised, having read a a little about how infrastructure was the only things the Chamber and major Labor groups agreed with, and infrastructure banking (which 30/10’s financing model closely resembles) would seem to be a pretty business-friendly manner of investing. For once it’s actually refreshing to see the Chamber standing up for its own interests, rather than sacrificing self-interest to ideology along the lines of Rick Scott.

Good luck getting it through the House, though—while I thought I’d disagree with the new House on everything, I thought they’d be able to wreak havoc with some degree of competence. Evidently this isn’t so, as one congressional staffer told washingtonmonthly.com (my emphases):

Quote:
It's becoming clearer and clearer everyday that Republicans in the House have no connection to reality and are willing to burn it all down. Staff have sat dumbfounded over the last few days watching the floor, which no media is reporting on, to see how disconnected Republicans are from basic math.
So the new congressmen are astounding even their staff with their ideological rigidity and lack of foresight. To some extent this is also due to self-interest—I’m sure that at this point most of them are more worried about a kochbot primary challenger, like the one who defeated conservative, albeit willing to talk and work with the other side, Senator Bob Bennett of Utah (who, incidentally, was instrumental in funding TRAX). Still, these guys just passed a funding resolution which writes its own attack ads for 2012, so I’m pretty sure that they’re more blinded by ideology than anything else. They aren’t about to be lobbied into place, even if the Chamber of Commerce is doing the lobbying.

Of course, this is just for the continuing resolution, not the full FY 2012 budget. Looking at the stuff Mica is putting out, it looks like there’s a lot more room for reasonable discussion to happen and for something like 30/10 to continue, if at a slower pace than under the last Congress. However, given how chaotic the past week has been in congress, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Boehner’s ability to keep his caucus under control and get meaningful legislation passed.

Last edited by Beta_Magellan; Feb 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Funding resolution≠budget

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 3:42 AM

Its common sense stuff. Hopefully the chamber can help convince house republicans that its in the best interest of everybody to move ahead. I hope we see real progress on this soon or 30/10 will turn to 30/11, 30/12, or 30/13.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 4:33 AM
Heavy User

It would be such a game changer. Aside from the House everything seems lined up in its favor.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 5:01 AM

All it really needs is House approval. After that, it's pretty much smooth sailing to the president's desk.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:38 AM

It's official!!! Judge has overthrown the Neighbors for Smart Rail case on the Expo Line. The rail line can proceed as planned! Construction for Phase II expected to begin in March 2011!!!

The judge denied NFSR's petition to stop the Expo Line in his final decision this evening. This was the only major remaining legal hurdle facing the Expo Line.

LA County Superior Court Web site
(Type in case no. BS125233)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 5:08 PM

Excellent! build baby Build!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 5:29 PM

Need to speed up construction on the Purple Line and extend it at least to the Santa Monica city limits.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation