HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:37 AM

New biomedical teaching and research facility coming to Camden
The Joint Health Sciences Center is expected to open in the spring of 2019.

ABC News , 10-19-17

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:21 PM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
should blend in nicely. how many sq ft is this?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Damn , I'm all for progress and job opportunities but this bad boy blocks the view of my favorite building in Camden .
The old RCA Nipper building ....... Guess I'm being a NIMBY ......

Last edited by hammersklavier; Oct 26, 2017 at 4:22 PM. Reason: Formatting clusterfuck ... again

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Damn , I'm all for progress and job opportunities but this bad boy blocks the view of my favorite building in Camden .
The old RCA Nipper building ....... Guess I'm being a NIMBY ......
Would that be the red building with the clock tower? If so, it would be obstructed from the bridge, but you'd still be able to see it from Penn's Landing.

Last edited by hammersklavier; Oct 26, 2017 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Would that be the red building with the clock tower? If so, it would be obstructed from the bridge, but you'd still be able to see it from Penn's Landing.

...... In a word , YES .
Iconic representative of a better time .

This new structure is so massive compared to it's surroundings , it could wind up being Camden's Chinese Wall .

Last edited by hammersklavier; Oct 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post

...... In a word , YES .
Iconic representative of a better time .

This new structure is so massive compared to it's surroundings , it could wind up being Camden's Chinese Wall .
Fun fact: I lived in that building for my first 2 years of law school.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Fun fact: I lived in that building for my first 2 years of law school.

http://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/...3/09/988-1.jpg

Some family members worked at that plant into the early 70's . I don't know
what buildings but at least two different than #17 ( the Nipper building ) ......
That's my fun fact .

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 7:11 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 10:56 PM

Didn't expect that. I suppose garages wouldn't take that long to build, but I'm still surprised that they came up that quickly. The building along the river seems effectively topped out.

I'm still pissed about Campbell's Field. I think knocking it down is a waste of an opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 11:23 PM

oh man parking garages? ooof. Immediately killing the potential of this area

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
oh man parking garages? ooof. Immediately killing the potential of this area
Yes, parking garages were always involved, but at least they'll be wrapped in retail, residential, hotel and office space mostly, and will be hidden mid-block. This is a massive upgrade for the area. Not killing it at all.

Take a look at this video of the site:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtBocfjf1l8

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:58 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Didn't expect that. I suppose garages wouldn't take that long to build, but I'm still surprised that they came up that quickly. The building along the river seems effectively topped out.
The garages were always in the site plan. But they're actually wrapped with retail and active uses so you're not going to notice they're there when all's said and done.
Quote:
I'm still pissed about Campbell's Field. I think knocking it down is a waste of an opportunity.
This project doesn't have any bearing on Campbell's Field at all? (Other than adjacency, that is.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
This project doesn't have any bearing on Campbell's Field at all? (Other than adjacency, that is.)
It doesn't, I know that, but I'm still pissed that they're gonna knock it down. It's the perfect place for a minor league team, especially with the aquarium nearby.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
It doesn't, I know that, but I'm still pissed that they're gonna knock it down. It's the perfect place for a minor league team, especially with the aquarium nearby.
problem is it can't be mlb affiliated unless the phillies agree to it, which they won't. riversharks were independent league

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, parking garages were always involved, but at least they'll be wrapped in retail, residential, hotel and office space mostly, and will be hidden mid-block. This is a massive upgrade for the area. Not killing it at all.

Take a look at this video of the site:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtBocfjf1l8
Yes, but…..adding parking garage as a component to a residential project is one thing but I think by building a mega garage right behind the new office, presumably providing plentiful and free parking to the employees, won’t they just drive in and drive out? If that is how the site will function, out side of taxing purposes, this won’t be much of a boost to DT Camden in my view. Between PATCO and the Riverline alone, there are great transit options so I’m not sure whye the garage was necessary.

Why not let/force the employees to find their own parking then at least they may do the math if it’s cheaper/more efficient to commute via transit or car. The garage just destroys this whole process, no?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:17 PM

I know this is a phased project, but those garages are quite big. Maybe I am missing something, but in the video I do not see an 8 story parking garage as tall as the first commercial building. Maybe the video does a good job minimizing the size of the garages.

I also struggle to see the north side of the foreground parking garage being "covered" with some sort of retail. The commercial building in the video appears to be directly on Penn st. My guess is this will be on the north side of Penn with the garage on the south side.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Why not let/force the employees to find their own parking then at least they may do the math if it’s cheaper/more efficient to commute via transit or car. The garage just destroys this whole process, no?
This is Camden we're talking about here, no matter how you spin it...it is not a desirable area (yet). These companies were offered massive tax breaks to move into the city, I'm sure they would have put up a pretty big fight if they were further told that they had to force their employees to take public transportation.

I know nobody likes parking garages, but even if these new office buildings get a fraction of their employees moving into Camden, it is remarkably better than nothing at all. There are still swaths of empty land and abandoned buildings right in the heart of downtown, at least they built up instead of adding a bunch of surface parking (isn't that what Subaru is doing down the road?)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Yes, but…..adding parking garage as a component to a residential project is one thing but I think by building a mega garage right behind the new office, presumably providing plentiful and free parking to the employees, won’t they just drive in and drive out? If that is how the site will function, out side of taxing purposes, this won’t be much of a boost to DT Camden in my view. Between PATCO and the Riverline alone, there are great transit options so I’m not sure whye the garage was necessary.

Most office projects, even in Philadelphia, include parking. Transit accessibility to this site in particular isn't THAT good. Yes, the Riverline runs right by here, but then you have to live along the Riverline.

The closest PATCO stop is at City Hall which is what? 6-7 blocks away?

This site isn't really the same as building in Center City, or next to 30th Street Station, which literally have dozens of rail lines, subways, trolleys, buses, etc.

I'm also under the impression that this site is in a flood plain, which makes underground parking very, very costly... and likely too costly for a Camden site at the moment. Camden needs more demand first in order to push for higher quality urban designs.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:53 PM

I see this as necessary infrastructure (albeit not the most sexy or design forward) to push development.

There is a TON of space available to develop. It's not like this is the last swath in Camden

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive