HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: Westbrook Proposal
Love it 7 11.67%
Like it 16 26.67%
On the fence 17 28.33%
Don't care for it 16 26.67%
Hate it 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:16 PM

Westbrook proposal

Everybody either loves this new proposal or hates it. Let's see what the consensus is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
A few Friday afternoon renderings to kick off the weekend. This is the 501 unit proposal for Westbrook.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:27 PM
Fake News

As others have pointed out cheap materials will ruin this thing. I really don't like the super overdone and trendy colours either. I'm on the fence with this one.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:31 PM

Cheap materials wouldn't go over well but given this is the first development in the Westbrook plan with much taller developments to surround it I think it might blend in nicely in the long run with the redevelopment plan.

Too early to tell though so I'm on the fence

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:46 PM
arf

1972 called and Westbrook didn't hang up.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:58 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
1972 called and Westbrook didn't hang up.
That's one of the things I like about it.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:22 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
That's one of the things I like about it.
Generally I like retro, but I prefer late 50s and early 60s to this. This one I just don't care much for. It's just not quite right for me.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:24 PM

Call me crazy and I might be the only one, but I like it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:11 PM

I don't much care for it. I have nothing against retro modern, but this is poorly executed and looks far too institutional.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:16 PM

if the materials are good this will be dope

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:10 AM
Fake News

One other part that really bugs me is the longest building. The way it's all grey on the inside makes it look very monolithic. Also I don't like how the last little bit of it bends for just a short little segment. Would look better and less awkward if it bent more like what appears to be the north tower where it's roughly halfway, not just the last third. I see they tried to disguise that with the white box but it still looks really awkward.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:45 AM
Editor

I think this one could be pretty good if done with good materials. The fact that it has a an institutional or 'commie block' feel to it doesn't bother me, and I know the type of buildings the Corporate Whore is referring to....if it turns out like those buildings, I'm good with that.

I'm on the fence though, as I think it will depend on the materials a fair bit.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:28 AM

This is a real (to steal some NHL draft jargon) boom-or-bust type proposal. If the materials are good and they nail the first floor, then it will be fantastic. A unique project for a new area of the city that could bring some real identity to a neighborhood wanting to break-out and be the jumping off point to a great TOD. Some European-chic to counter our Vancouver and Toronto-inspired projects.

If the materials are bad, and they bungle up the first floor then it will not only look like European-bleak, but it will kill any chance at an effective TOD and we will forever look at Westbrook as a 'Oh what could have been' and turn our focus to another transit stop.

And then there is also the possibility that they could nail the first floor creating the foundation for a vibrant district but it still looks awful, or vice-versa.

So I'm on the fence. I like that it's different and taking a risk, but given how important this phase of Westbrook's evolution is, missing on this one has much bigger effects than a miss if this were say, Anderson station or something. In other words, just get it right, and I'll love it.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 AM

Looks like I'm the only one that voted "Hate it"!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:16 AM

Like the scale, like how it will bring a lot of new residents, dislike the massing, not a fan of the design.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 11:19 AM

To be honest I'm happy to see something that's not the usual glass and spandrel. I find it refreshing.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
This is a real (to steal some NHL draft jargon) boom-or-bust type proposal. If the materials are good and they nail the first floor, then it will be fantastic. A unique project for a new area of the city that could bring some real identity to a neighborhood wanting to break-out and be the jumping off point to a great TOD. Some European-chic to counter our Vancouver and Toronto-inspired projects.

Calgary could use more Toronto inspired developments. Vancouverism doesn't fit the scale of its office towers.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:54 PM

There is a lot more land to be redeveloped at Westbrook (including and especially the ghetto mall), so hopefully this is at least a minor success. Even if the final product is deemed underwhelming, if the units prove popular and are filled quickly it will spur further work. I really do think Westbrook could become a great hub. Regardless, hopefully its success isn't 100% dependent on this first proposal.

In any case, I like this but really hope it doesn't fail when it comes to the pedestrian realm.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:05 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
There is a lot more land to be redeveloped at Westbrook (including and especially the ghetto mall), so hopefully this is at least a minor success. Even if the final product is deemed underwhelming, if the units prove popular and are filled quickly it will spur further work. I really do think Westbrook could become a great hub. Regardless, hopefully its success isn't 100% dependent on this first proposal.

In any case, I like this but really hope it doesn't fail when it comes to the pedestrian realm.
Well said! Hopefully this development pushes land values around the area and that shitty mall finally gets torn down.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:06 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Looks like I'm the only one that voted "Hate it"!
I've joined you in that sentiment. From the colours to the horizontal scale of it, I can't help but think that this will taint the potential of the TOD.

Considering the last two residential developments in the Bridges developments as examples of these shear walls. I'd rather they added a few floors and just thinned them out a bit more, or separated them into two parts.

Bridgeland Crossings needed more space between the two buildings, as it really feels like a never ending wall, and McPherson may have been better as two buildings, or at least could have used some vertical variation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates