HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:53 PM
BANNED

West Campus

Did a bit research on this one, prob the biggest project in the works right now. Initial occupancy estimated at 2018, any update?

http://www.wcdt.ca/

From their master plan, proposed sf:
Site Area: 76.9 Hectares (190 acres) Program (GSM) Program (GSF)
Non-Residential Development
University Research 1,176,986
Retail/Restaurant 358,821
Civic/Cultural 124,524
Private Research / Office 2,786,805
Conference/Hotel 336,680
Total Non-Residential Development 4,783,815
Residential Development
High Density Housing 1,939,500
Medium Density 1,053,084
University Housing 1,096,793
Total Residential Development 4,089,377
http://www.wcdt.ca/assets/PDF/West-C...-Plan-2008.pdf

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:54 PM

Land use and outline plan was approved by Council back in September I think (could be a few weeks/months either side of that). I recently saw an e-mail come out from them that they are doing an RFQ for development partners, I think multi-family, senior care and commercial but can't remember the exact message.

Currie Barracks might be close to being bigger....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Land use and outline plan was approved by Council back in September I think (could be a few weeks/months either side of that). I recently saw an e-mail come out from them that they are doing an RFQ for development partners, I think multi-family, senior care and commercial but can't remember the exact message.

Currie Barracks might be close to being bigger....
I don't think Currie Barracks is even close, though I could be proven wrong.

The 'value' of west campus is quite amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if things slow down a pinch though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

Agree 100%, be interesting seeing it come together.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

Their Phase 3 upzoning is getting pretty close:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/C...curriebarracks

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:19 PM
BANNED

http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/...-new-community

Quote:
University District proposed as name of notable new community

CLAIRE YOUNG, CALGARY HERALD
More from Claire Young, Calgary Herald
Published on: May 1, 2015
Last Updated: May 1, 2015 2:39 PM MDT

SHARE ADJUST COMMENT PRINT
There is a smart new name for what will grow into a vibrant, dynamic hub with live-work-play — and learning — at its very heart.
University District is the name developer West Campus Development Trust is proposing for the community that will be built adjacent to the University of Calgary and the Alberta Children’s Hospital. The trust will put forth its proposal to the Calgary Planning Commission on May 7.

“The name reflects the relationship with the university,” says James Robertson, CEO and president of West Campus Development Trust.

The land, almost 75 hectares, is bounded by 32nd Avenue N., Shaganappi Trail and 16th Avenue N. and lies to the west side of campus. University District will encompass residential, mixed use, commercial and retail development. All residences will be multi-family, from townhome style to mid-rise buildings. At build-out in the next 15 to 20 years, the trust expects to see 8.6 million square feet of total development, featuring 6,200 residential units, 1.5 million square feet of office space and 200,000 square feet of retail.

“There will be about 5,000 jobs here. And 15,000 to 17,000 people living in the community,” Robertson says, describing the scope of the community.

The community is not envisioned as an extension of campus, serving only students and professors, rather, it’s seen as a full and complete community.

“The consultation was extensive because we want University District to reflect the values of the university,” says U of C president Elizabeth Cannon, who also sits on the West Campus Development Trust board. “It has to be all-inclusive and speak to young and old, families and seniors.”

An animated main street with boutique shopping, restaurants, bars, a hotel and a cinema along with open spaces, gardens and natural areas will make it a natural draw for those living or working there, as well as provide a draw for others to visit.

Artist's rendering of High Street area of West Campus Development Trust's land with the proposed community name of University District.

Supplied / Calgary Herald

Artist's rendering of the central park area of West Campus Development Trust's land with the proposed community name of University District.

Artist's rendering of the northern residential area of West Campus Development Trust's land with the proposed community name of University District.

Artist's rendering of Shaganappi gate in West Campus Development Trust's land with the proposed community name of University District.

Artist's rendering of southern residential area of West Campus Development Trust's land with the proposed community name of University District.

“Successful urban neighbourhoods offer a sense of discovery,” says Robertson. “Everything is not the same. University District is meant to be an organic community — built with Calgarians for Calgarians.”

Sustainability is a hallmark of University District’s master plan, says Robertson, from engineering roads to building construction to being socially responsible. A community built for all ages — including daycare, attainable housing and assisted living — with its underpinning financial support for the university offering another interpretation of sustainable development.

West Campus Development Trust is a non-profit subsidiary of the University of Calgary. All profits from the development and management of the land will return to the university, says Robertson. Other universities in Canada have set up similar land trusts, including the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.

“We have to look for new ways of increasing cash flows while adding to the university,” Robertson says of the role of the trust in helping to support U of C.

In the proposal before the planning commission, University District’s streets would be named after its 13 past and present chancellors, further underscoring the relationship with the university and the community.

Naming the streets after the chancellors serving in the first 50 years of U of C’s history would be a celebration of people who have served the university and Calgary in significant ways.

The chancellor, a volunteer position, chairs the university senate, which acts to bridge between the university and the wider community. The purpose of the senate is to represent the public interest, promote the university, influence decision makers, foster student interests and promote and recognize excellence.

“Each of them has made a tremendous contribution to our community,” says U of C president Elizabeth Cannon. “All the chancellors and their families are very excited about this.”

While new communities often have street names containing a root word stemming from the community name, for example, Legacy Gate in the WestCreek Developments’ community of Legacy in south Calgary, other communities have recently broken from that pattern. Brookfield Residential’s Livingston community in the city’s north — named for Sam Livingston who was one of Calgary’s first residents and farmer — will honour a variety of pioneers from the city’s history in its street names.

The vision and direction of University District’s master plan has met with approval from its neighbours.
“We have had community support throughout the process,” says Robertson, including letters of support from the five neighbouring community associations.

West Campus Development Trust is the midst of choosing a short-list of builders to bid on the first rounds of sites.

“We had a stronger than anticipated response from local and national companies,” says Robertson. “Most have been here (in Calgary) on at least one or more projects.”

Robertson expects to offer land for bids in the summer and award sites in the fall for the first phase.

“We’ll have six or seven sites in a variety of product. It depends on the response level and the market,” he says.
Retail will be incorporated in the first phase along with residential.

“We’re building inside out, from the heart of the community,” Robertson says.

The prospect of new neighbours is one that Cannon is enthusiastic about.

“I’m excited to see the people moving into University District and working in University District. It will bring a lot of excitement to our campus,” she says.

What You Need to Know

Proposed Community Name: University District

Developer: West Campus Development Trust

Proposed Street Naming Convention: Name the streets after the 13 past and current University of Calgary chancellors. The role of the chancellor, a voluntary and elected position as chair of the senate, is to foster relationships between the university and the greater community, both locally, nationally and internationally. U of C’s chancellors have all had been notable figures who have had special relationships with Calgary and the university. U of C’s first chancellor was C. Campbell McLaurin, Chief Justice of the Trial Division of the Alberta Supreme Court, who served as chancellor from 1966 to 1970. Today’s chancellor, former astronaut Dr. Robert Thirsk, who began his term in 2014. He attended junior and senior high school in Calgary, and earned his undergraduate engineering degree (mechanical) at U of C, before studying a master’s in engineering, earning a medical degree and master’s in business administration.

At build out in 15 to 20 years: University District will be home to 15,000 to 17,000 residents.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
So first building will be like 2018!!

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 4:26 AM

15-20 year build out.... That's a few years longer than I thought. The 5000 jobs sounds good though!

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 3:08 PM
ARTchitecture

Let the multi-nodal transition of our city continue!

West Campus, Westbrook, Anderson/SouthCentre, Marda Loop!

Yay

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:06 AM

Something I've been thinking of for a bit now is that with the Flames West Village project, if it include the fieldhouse the city is interested in having built, there wouldn't be a need for it to be built at the foothills athletic park anymore. Once McMahon Stadium is gone when the Stamps have their new building, that area is going to be essentially a wasteland with nothing special going on there.

I've been pondering if the city and the university would be interested in revitalizing that area into another West Campus? With Banff Trail commercial area right next door, that area should be appealing for high resistental and commercial density.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Once McMahon Stadium is gone when the Stamps have their new building, that area is going to be essentially a wasteland with nothing special going on there.
I'm not sure that having 8 less events per year will make it all that much more of wasteland than it is now. I'm also not sure that the University will be in a rush to tear it down and redevelop -- they need athletic facilities (though clearly not a stadium that big) and they'll have a full plate of redevelopment for a long time with the west campus lands. The area would be fantastic for TOD; the university may also want it for future educational facilities. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I suspect it will be quite a long wait.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
I'm not sure that having 8 less events per year will make it all that much more of wasteland than it is now. I'm also not sure that the University will be in a rush to tear it down and redevelop -- they need athletic facilities (though clearly not a stadium that big) and they'll have a full plate of redevelopment for a long time with the west campus lands. The area would be fantastic for TOD; the university may also want it for future educational facilities. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I suspect it will be quite a long wait.
It wont happen any time soon, but redevelopment of some of the McMahon lands and the Research Park will happen.

In fact, there are a few parcels in the Research Park that are already earmarked for redevelopment (eventually) as part of the Brentwood TOD.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
It wont happen any time soon, but redevelopment of some of the McMahon lands and the Research Park will happen.

In fact, there are a few parcels in the Research Park that are already earmarked for redevelopment (eventually) as part of the Brentwood TOD.
The Brentwood Station ARP does not include any of the Research Park lands, just the park and ride lots on the south side of crowchild. Hence why Remington was able to build a very suburban office building (complete with some surface parking) right next to the station.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
The Brentwood Station ARP does not include any of the Research Park lands, just the park and ride lots on the south side of crowchild. Hence why Remington was able to build a very suburban office building (complete with some surface parking) right next to the station.
Thats what I meant... not the actual UofC lands, but those that are adjacent to them and the station itself.

Though IMO, this should jump start further development in the actual research park - so much potential for development by the university à la West Campus on those lands.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Something I've been thinking of for a bit now is that with the Flames West Village project, if it include the fieldhouse the city is interested in having built, there wouldn't be a need for it to be built at the foothills athletic park anymore. Once McMahon Stadium is gone when the Stamps have their new building, that area is going to be essentially a wasteland with nothing special going on there.

I've been pondering if the city and the university would be interested in revitalizing that area into another West Campus? With Banff Trail commercial area right next door, that area should be appealing for high resistental and commercial density.
The City has long had a redevelopment plan for that area, last I saw was probably 7 or 8 years ago. If someone has time there might have been a model on the front page of a long ago Calgary Construction Thread...

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The City has long had a redevelopment plan for that area, last I saw was probably 7 or 8 years ago. If someone has time there might have been a model on the front page of a long ago Calgary Construction Thread...
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...ntwood-arp.pdf

Pages 104 and 105.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Let the multi-nodal transition of our city continue!

West Campus, Westbrook, Anderson/SouthCentre, Marda Loop!

Yay
I was just around Currie Barracks yest, surprised to see how many condos have already been built since last year. Just east of there new infill development begins and literally doesn't stop until the city centre. Encouraging to see.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates