HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:07 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Saw-Weeeet!
Yup, submitted just before Christmas, as restaurant, office, and live/work units.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:14 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Wish list:
1. full speed ahead on SWRR
2. Full speed ahead on Green Line LRT - from south hospital all the way to north Calgary. Underground through DT and elevated (or buried) up Centre Street
3.Glenmore expanded to three lanes from 14 Street all the way west.
4. the clusterf ck that is Crowchild from Bow Trail to 24th Avenue fixed

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I believe the DP has been submitted for M2 just before Christmas.
Seems like EV was in for a solid year with this one, Alt, two new towers by Bosa starting, N3, Verve, maybe others supposed to break ground. Wonder how many of these will be delayed now, shitty.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 9:48 PM

/\ Not so sure a lot of residential projects will be delayed - a lot of what is happening now is due to pent-up demand relating to a super-tight rental market, incredibly fast population growth and changing demographics/more people seeking inner-city lifestyle. It seems like most of the recent analysis of the impact of oil prices is along the lines of "the sky isn't falling". let's hope that's the case.

Office, on the other hand, is another matter. I suspect our office vacancy rate will hit well into double digits, maybe even teens, this year.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:12 PM
BANNED

^i read on Next City that Calgary has shifted to 50% of new development within existing neighbourhoods over the past few years. I bet we'll see that number continue to rise. But at the same time migration numbers may drop significantly over the next while.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:54 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Wish list:
4. the clusterf ck that is Crowchild from Bow Trail to 24th Avenue fixed
Chances are we'll all be pushing up daisies before that mess is completely fixed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 11:42 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Chances are we'll all be pushing up daisies before that mess is completely fixed.
Agreed, but this is a wish list so a guy can dream.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:24 AM

Firstly, hi. I've semi-lurked these forums for a few years, but finally decided to get into the discussion of what's being built in Calgary.

I don't pretend to know as much as a lot of you guys around here seem to, but hopefully I won't be a complete idiot as I start posting here.

Personal wishlist:

1) Eau Claire market getting a redevelopment that actually includes more than an office tower (unfortunately as my family does know the owners of Harvard development, this likely won't happen until they sell the property, which may never happen).

2) South-west ring road proceeding

3) Ground breaking for the West Campus project

4) The redevelopment of the Stadium Shopping center proeeding through approvals, with the addition of an interchange at 16 (otherwise congeestion will be terrible)

5) A proposal for the green Line LRT that includes a lot of buried sections.

6) West Village, WAM, and associated area towers getting underway

7) Some proposal to remove the lights between the Bow River and 24th on Crowchild (Pipe dream as mentioned above, but there's LOTS of space for options)

8) A master plan for redevelopment of Bowness a la Kensington, Inglewood or Bridgeland.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:27 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Welcome darth_henning, you've already dropped a bomb, albeit a negative one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_henning View Post
1) Eau Claire market getting a redevelopment that actually includes more than an office tower (unfortunately as my family does know the owners of Harvard development, this likely won't happen until they sell the property, which may never happen).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:57 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Firstly, hi. I've semi-lurked these forums for a few years, but finally decided to get into the discussion of what's being built in Calgary.

I don't pretend to know as much as a lot of you guys around here seem to, but hopefully I won't be a complete idiot as I start posting here.

Personal wishlist:

2) South-west ring road proceeding

3) Ground breaking for the West Campus project

4) The redevelopment of the Stadium Shopping center proeeding through approvals, with the addition of an interchange at 16 (otherwise congeestion will be terrible)

5) A proposal for the green Line LRT that includes a lot of buried sections.

6) West Village, WAM, and associated area towers getting underway

7) Some proposal to remove the lights between the Bow River and 24th on Crowchild (Pipe dream as mentioned above, but there's LOTS of space for options)

8) A master plan for redevelopment of Bowness a la Kensington, Inglewood or Bridgeland.
1) Oh jeez, you're the second person to mention this

4) That would be the worst possible outcome for that area

8) Check out the City's Main Streets Initiative, both sections of Bowness road are included

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
1) Oh jeez, you're the second person to mention this
I of course can't prove it, but knowing the owners, they're more likely to sit on the mall for the rent they can get than risk the cost of a redevelopment that wont directly promote themselves.

Quote:
4) That would be the worst possible outcome for that area
I live in University Heights, so I have a personal investment in this project.

An overpass is essential I'm afraid.

As things are now, the traffic from the charter school at 8am and 3:30 pm means you can be sitting waiting to get out of the neighborhood for 15 minutes (to go one block). And that's resulted in dozens of cars cutting through the neighbourhood streets at well over 50km/h to get out alternate ways.

Throw in the massive traffic to and from Foothills (where I work) at shift changes at 8-9 and 4:30-5, and it can take over a half hour to get from your parking stall in foothills onto 16th avenue because of the lights. Let alone getting off 16th to make a left turn.

You want to put in 3 condo towers, 2 offices and a hotel? Traffic will NOT move.

I'm very happy at the pedestrian bridge over 16, that's way overdue. Best way to meet fellow students/employees at FMC? Standing at the lights waiting to cross.

But an overpass for car and bus traffic is equally overdue especially if you're going to add several hundred residents and employees on that corner.

EDIT: I assumed you were referring to the overpass specifically, but if you meant the redevelopment, I'm actually all for it. That mall needs a re-do, and a gorocery store is LONG overdue to return (and will be even more essential with thenearby west campus). Also the condos are a great idea to bring younger people into the neighbourhood. The hotel is also essential for people with relatives at FMC. The office towers I could live without tthough.

Quote:
8) Check out the City's Main Streets Initiative, both sections of Bowness road are included
Hadn't heard of that. Will look at it.

Definitely an area with tons of potential.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Throw in the massive traffic to and from Foothills (where I work) at shift changes at 8-9 and 4:30-5, and it can take over a half hour to get from your parking stall in foothills onto 16th avenue because of the lights. Let alone getting off 16th to make a left turn.
Maybe I'm misreading this... but you live in University Heights and drive to work at Foothills? If so, why are you even complaining while only adding to the problem? I assume that if traffic is as bad as you say it is, walking would be far more efficient.

An interchange at that location would be a massive waste.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I of course can't prove it, but knowing the owners, they're more likely to sit on the mall for the rent they can get than risk the cost of a redevelopment that wont directly promote themselves.
Wooster mentioned the office tower couldn't proceed until a certain level of residential is achieved.

I'm not sure sitting on that prime land for limited retail lease revenue makes sense. The redevelopment actually is pretty low risk considering they can begin phase 1 on the vacant land to the south while still earning retail lease revenue from the existing mall in the interim.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 10:52 PM
YIMBY

Quote:

An overpass is essential I'm afraid.

As things are now, the traffic from the charter school at 8am and 3:30 pm means you can be sitting waiting to get out of the neighborhood for 15 minutes (to go one block). And that's resulted in dozens of cars cutting through the neighbourhood streets at well over 50km/h to get out alternate ways.

You want to put in 3 condo towers, 2 offices and a hotel? Traffic will NOT move.

I'm very happy at the pedestrian bridge over 16, that's way overdue. Best way to meet fellow students/employees at FMC? Standing at the lights waiting to cross.

But an overpass for car and bus traffic is equally overdue especially if you're going to add several hundred residents and employees on that corner.

EDIT: I assumed you were referring to the overpass specifically, but if you meant the redevelopment, I'm actually all for it. That mall needs a re-do, and a gorocery store is LONG overdue to return (and will be even more essential with thenearby west campus). Also the condos are a great idea to bring younger people into the neighbourhood. The hotel is also essential for people with relatives at FMC. The office towers I could live without tthough.

Hadn't heard of that. Will look at it.

Definitely an area with tons of potential.
I was referring to the interchange, not the redevelopment.

My concern with the interchange is both local and overall 16th ave related.

Locally I'm concerned as to the impact that an interchange will have on the redevelopment and the interface on that area (not sure there really is space for much of one, but thats not the point).

My broader 16th concern comes from the potential of the sections east and west of there with regard to redevelopment. If we create a freeway-sk type road (no lights, relatively wide lanes) from motel village to Montgomery. The potential redevelopment of the deerfoot/motel village & Montgomery sections becomes even harder as people will begin to desire those sections to become a freeway type road creating a barrier to active modes.

I am a resident of Mt. Pleasant and as such have an active and vested interest in having 16th develop into a welcoming urban corridor.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
Maybe I'm misreading this... but you live in University Heights and drive to work at Foothills? If so, why are you even complaining while only adding to the problem? I assume that if traffic is as bad as you say it is, walking would be far more efficient.
I should clarify. Medical Student.

Sometimes my day shift will be at FMC, and the I have to go over to Peter Laugheed for call and have a half hour to get there between. No time to walk home.

Doesn't affect me often, but a big issue for congestion as very few people who work at FMC live in the area, let alone people going to the University or schools in the area.

Also getting off eastbound 16 and into University Heights is absolute murder.

Quote:
Locally I'm concerned as to the impact that an interchange will have on the redevelopment and the interface on that area (not sure there really is space for much of one, but thats not the point).
Space is the biggest problem but simply trench out the middle 2 lanes of 16th for straight through traffic, and have the 'overpass' for 28th essentially at ground.

Quote:
f we create a freeway-sk type road (no lights, relatively wide lanes) from motel village to Montgomery. The potential redevelopment of the deerfoot/motel village & Montgomery sections becomes even harder as people will begin to desire those sections to become a freeway type road creating a barrier to active modes.
Ok, I see your point here. And I definitely agree that making 16th more walkable is highly desirable. (as described above)

There are two problems though:

1) Freeway. Between Stadium and Montgommery is and will remain freeway-esque simply because there's no place things will integrate. Foothills is isolated (for very good reason), West Campus is about 20 feet above grade and set back, then we get to the Shaganappi intersection mess (which could also stand a redo). So there will always be a free-way element there to interrupt things (also that is NOT a fun hill to walk up or down)

2) Congestion. How walkable is an area if all you can see and smell is backed up traffic? Unfortunately either University Heightss turns into a parking lot, or cars go speeding in and out through the residential area with the current design. Neither is ideal. Like it or not, Calgary is car-centric and that won't change any time soon.

Promoting more integrated and walkable areas is definitely something that should be a priority as Calgary has never , but there does need to be some allowance for motor transport too.

Calgary has too long been focused on 'car only' development. But we shouldn't go too far in the opposite direction either.

For example, adding bike lanes to 8th Ave downtown would make great sense. Adding them to 9th does not.

Unfortunately leaving a ground interchange by FMC/Stadium will cause the same mess with the redevelopment as the lights on Crowchild do already.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:12 AM

I too want to see 16th ave be a urban corridor, but I don't think an interchange at 29th street would be that big of a deal, since that area is going to feel separated from the deerfoot-motel village corridor due to Crowchild's interchange, and Montgomery since the Shaganappi interchange makes a disconnect as well. There's always going to be a interchange system at those two points, so putting on inbetween doesn't really change things up.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I too want to see 16th ave be a urban corridor, but I don't think an interchange at 29th street would be that big of a deal, since that area is going to feel separated from the deerfoot-motel village corridor due to Crowchild's interchange, and Montgomery since the Shaganappi interchange makes a disconnect as well. There's always going to be a interchange system at those two points, so putting on inbetween doesn't really change things up.

A redevelopment of the Stadium grounds into two stadiums +/- some other entertainment (not sure if there's space for that or not, as I expect new stadiums and parking would take up most of the footprint) could tie into the banff trail and Stadium areas decently. But there's definitely always that disconnect with Shaganappi.

As a resident, I'm all for the redevelopment (and West Campus), but there are already tens of thousands of cars in the area, and nearly 100,000 people daily. There has to be some level of traffic management in addition to the walkability.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:20 AM

Quote:
A redevelopment of the Stadium grounds into two stadiums +/- some other entertainment (not sure if there's space for that or not, as I expect new stadiums and parking would take up most of the footprint) could tie into the banff trail and Stadium areas decently. But there's definitely always that disconnect with Shaganappi.

As a resident, I'm all for the redevelopment (and West Campus), but there are already tens of thousands of cars in the area, and nearly 100,000 people daily. There has to be some level of traffic management in addition to the walkability.
Rumours strongly indicate the Flames will build a new stadium along with their new arena in the city centre area. If that's the case, there's even more redevelopment potential that could be done at the McMahon area. It could practically be Banff Trail Station TOD West.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Rumours strongly indicate the Flames will build a new stadium along with their new arena in the city centre area. If that's the case, there's even more redevelopment potential that could be done at the McMahon area. It could practically be Banff Trail Station TOD West.
Well technically 24th/24th is kinda central now but I know what you mean.

It would be a very interesting idea. Especially if you ran the 16th avenue line past it with a stop at the south end. Lets be honest, game days could easily use two stops.

Do we have a thread for Stadium? I can't find one and I feel we are starting to derail this thread.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Wooster mentioned the office tower couldn't proceed until a certain level of residential is achieved.

I'm not sure sitting on that prime land for limited retail lease revenue makes sense. The redevelopment actually is pretty low risk considering they can begin phase 1 on the vacant land to the south while still earning retail lease revenue from the existing mall in the interim.
The vacant land to the south was where the proposed office tower was located. Hence the concern of them building it and not doing anything else.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates