HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:30 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
I wonder if they will ever re-route the trains and get rid of those ugly ass tracks?
Reroute to where?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they will ever re-route the trains and get rid of those ugly ass tracks?
Until we perfect Portal technology I think the train is staying where it is.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:30 PM
ARTchitecture

I think he meant around the city. This isn't feasible though, and any such project would cost billions. Why would CN do this, just to appease one city? What we can hope for eventually is the tracks being decked over, hopefully by a large city park. I would love to see a Chicago-style Millenium Park here in Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I think he meant around the city. This isn't feasible though, and any such project would cost billions. Why would CN do this, just to appease one city?
CN? *tsk-tsk*

CP!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:50 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Uh... The trains were there first.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:25 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

When an industrial use was 'there first' I think that should preclude demands that they move, but there's nothing wrong with encouraging it

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
What's the status of the building across the street, are there tenants in the office or retail spaces yet?
Office is fully occupied. Confirmed retail tenants so far are a Brazilian steakhouse and La Prep. Centron must have made a killing here. They recently sold this building for almost $300M or $750psf, most triple A in downtown Calgary and TO doesn't even go for that high, though it does look like this building has excess parking for extra revenue stream.

Prob why they're so eager to build both towers going at Place10.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I think he meant around the city. This isn't feasible though, and any such project would cost billions. Why would CN do this, just to appease one city? What we can hope for eventually is the tracks being decked over, hopefully by a large city park. I would love to see a Chicago-style Millenium Park here in Calgary.
Yes, let's do this. Can somebody start a movement on this. Maybe do a split public money, private donations. Each large donor can have their own section of the park named after them.

Either way nice to see more development along the tracks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:24 PM
Editor

Quote:
I think the tracks will be there long term. I don't actually have any issue with them, but rather an issue with the empty lots along side the tracks, also the state of some of the underpasses. The underpasses are slated to be updated, and many of the empty lots have proposal slated, so things are looking good

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:58 PM
not a NIMBY

It would be easier to move the city than the tracks!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

If only the tracks had been trenched they would have been a non-issue. Not sure if that' feasible after the fact.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:02 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
If only the tracks had been trenched they would have been a non-issue. Not sure if that' feasible after the fact.
Always with the tracks (not just you; this is a general discussion problem). Assuming that the railroad is to keep continuous operation, what does this tunnel look like? If we don't want the nightmare to end all traffic nightmares and cut downtown off from all access to the south for a period of years, then the tunnel has to be underneath the existing underpasses. The underpasses have 4 metres of clearance below the existing rail, plus there is presumably some sort of structure that would need to be built to hold them up with a rail tunnel underneath, so the roof of the rail tunnel would need to be 6 metres below grade. CPR wants, IIRC, 7 metres of clearance above the rail, plus let's allow a little clearance for fans and what not, so we need the top of the rail to be say 8 metres below the roof of the tunnel; that is, 14 metres below grade. This is a minimum, and assumes that any utilities under the road (and there are manholes in the underpass) have already been relocated; otherwise you would need to go more than 14m deep.

I'm sure that the CPR would adamantly oppose the addition of any grades to it's line, because trains and slopes don't really play well together. But let's assume a grade of 1% is the maximum we can use. (2.2% is the grade through the spiral tunnels by Field, and they use extra locomotives for that). So a 14 m deep tunnel needs a 1400m approach.

The problem is that 4th St E is 670m from the Elbow River, and you can't cross the Elbow with only half of a tunnel. So you actually need to start 1400 m east of the Elbow crossing. By the time you're 1400 m from the Elbow, you're around Blackfoot Trail in the middle of the rail yards. But wait! 750m from the Elbow, there are two big wyes as the lines north to Edmonton and south that eventually run parallel with the LRT join up. So now we're not only rebuilding the entire rail yard in Inglewood (and how does that even work?), we're also building either a crazy funky rail-rail-rail interchange in the process to connect to the N and the S, or we're building another 3 km of tunnels so that the N and S connections are at the appropriate height once they reach the rail crossing level. Oh, and by the way, 12th St SE is closed during this entire project.

Ignoring the fact that we can't make CP do any of this if they don't want to, that it will destroy their rail yards and disrupt their business for years even with the maximum possible mitigation, we're still talking about 12+ km of rail tunnel, with all the ventilation problems associated with taking diesel engines through it. It would probably be more cost effective to spend $40 billion just straight up buying CP than to build and operate this sort of megatunnel.

The most realistic solution is honestly to wait for teleportation or zeppelins or something to make freight rail obsolete.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I think the tracks will be there long term. I don't actually have any issue with them, but rather an issue with the empty lots along side the tracks, also the state of some of the underpasses. The underpasses are slated to be updated, and many of the empty lots have proposal slated, so things are looking good
Yeah, exactly. I don't even think the tracks are a big issue. It's those ugly vacant lots and state of some of those underpasses.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:10 AM

Any updates on this project? How far down are they with excavation?

This is probably the project I am most excited for.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Agree excited for this one as well. East tower is 2 to 3 storeys below grade now, shoring mostly finished for the West tower. Bespoke just opened along 10th, and across the street Rodney's and Pampa should be opening within the next month or so. I've mentioned this before, but the project I really want to see get going ASAP is the Marriott Res hotel plus rental tower.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 6:53 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolv View Post
Any updates on this project? How far down are they with excavation?

This is probably the project I am most excited for.

Place 10 by Construction Mania, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 6:54 AM
Editor

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 11:08 PM
BANNED

From DM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Mine from yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 2:29 AM

Crane went up at Place 10 today.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Like this one too. They 're digging the west tower too, so hopefully they both rise at once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates