HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Carparks

Good time to start discussing as there are 3 new plus an automated parkade coming to the core over the next few years.

Some fantastic examples on how to do Carparks right by Druh Farell:

http://www.pinterest.com/calgaryward7/carparks/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:41 PM

If they are done anything like the SAIT parkade, then they are good, if they end up like the Palliser Parkade, then they are a FAIL! Also, they should have retail at the base facing the street like the Bow Parkade.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:06 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Also, they should have retail at the base facing the street like the Bow Parkade.
The Bow Parkade is still a fail though.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:16 PM

It's not great, but better than most parkades which are entirely single use...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Car parks? Frigging foreigners. I didn't realize Druh was British.

Seriously though, where are you from originally, Spring (if you don't mind me asking)? The Canada forum has long involved discussions over Western Canada's use of "parkade" so your thread title has me curious.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:30 PM

Car Park makes me think of Top Gear lol

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Car parks? Frigging foreigners. I didn't realize Druh was British.

Seriously though, where are you from originally, Spring (if you don't mind me asking)? The Canada forum has long involved discussions over Western Canada's use of "parkade" so your thread title has me curious.
Edm lol. No, just went with what Druh called them, and I think the level of quality of examples provided suggests an upgrade to "carparks" is appropriate haha

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:49 PM

Makes me think of the Simpsons when Moe calls garages Car Holes.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Edm lol. No, just went with what Druh called them, and I think the level of quality of examples provided suggests an upgrade to "carparks" is appropriate haha
I hope you realize I was "taking the piss" with you, to borrow a similarly-origined phrase. Never sure how serious posts here look.

And I think I agree with you. Those don't look at all like what I think of when I think "parkade". Well except SAIT. That thing is fucking gorgeous.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
Makes me think of the Simpsons when Moe calls garages Car Holes.
Wasn't it car hold?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I hope you realize I was "taking the piss" with you, to borrow a similarly-origined phrase. Never sure how serious posts here look.

And I think I agree with you. Those don't look at all like what I think of when I think "parkade". Well except SAIT. That thing is fucking gorgeous.
lol it's all good, knew you were taking the piss!

I agree the SAIT parkade, including the field above with the views of downtown was exceptionally done.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Interesting about the EV parkade, and where in Eau-Claire is the new parkade being built?

Quote:
Downtown needs 6,500 new parking stalls downtown in 10 years: parking authority

City has been praised for its restrictive parking policy

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald June 17, 2014

General manager Troy McLeod’s 10-year plan for the Calgary Parking Authority includes adding more parking stalls in the downtown and licensing the ParkPlus payment system elsewhere in Canada and abroad to increase revenue for the city.
Photograph by: Stuart Gradon , Calgary Herald

There’s enough motorist demand to nearly double the downtown parking system, but anything more than a modest increase may overload the road network, the city’s parking agency head said Monday.

Calgary Parking Authority’s new 10-year strategic plan says the current 45,000 parking spaces in the core should be augmented by 6,500 over the next decade, general manager Troy McLeod said.

About one-third of that will come from three city parkades, and the rest likely from private developers putting up new towers, McLeod told council Monday.

There’s enough demand for about 80,000 parkade and lot stalls in Calgary’s office epicentre, but the city “can’t meet all that demand” and achieve its goal of a 60/40 split between downtown transit commuting and other modes, McLeod added.

The road capacity into downtown is nearly maxed out, said Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra, a parking authority board member.

“Spatially, we cannot stuff enough cars into it,” he told reporters.

“It’s not just a question of parking down here. It’s about getting them in and out on a daily basis.”

Carra recalled a scuttled 1970s plan for an “east downtown penetrator” highway that would have levelled part of Inglewood, his own community. The city thinks differently now, and urbanists widely praise Calgary for its restrictive parking policy, he said.

However, Mayor Naheed Nenshi and other councillors will propose next week a minor review of the downtown parking policy, although not one that would open the floodgates for more parking space.

The city’s parking agency believes there’s more room to boost the ratio of office space to parking spaces, and the mayor wants the city to rethink the practice of making developers contribute cash to the Calgary Parking Authority instead of building their own spaces.

McLeod’s 10-year plan suggests that parking prices — which are already among the highest in North America — can be kept to minimal increases if the 6,500 off-street spaces are introduced. His agency also wants a greater share of the core’s total parking supply — 20 per cent instead of 14 per cent now — to help better influence prices.

Calgary Parking Authority delivered $31 million to city coffers last year. The agency plans to boost that by $10 million in a decade, partially with greater parking revenues but also through licensing the ParkPlus system to other cities.

Calgary Parking has bid for contracts to share its homegrown payment and enforcement technology in Banff, Saskatoon and Edmonton, which has been testing the machines under the EPark brand in the capital’s downtown since 2013. McLeod’s goal is to spread ParkPlus to at least 10 jurisdictions in Canada and abroad by 2024.

The parking GM also hinted at a “virtual” pay system for visitors during the Stampede, as a greater convenience of the ParkPlus cellphone and smartphone app system.

“You can just scan a QR code or 2-D code,” McLeod explained to reporters.

“That code allows you to access to the ParkPlus system just like a regular ParkPlus account holder and you get the benefit of paying for the time you use.”

The next city parkades are proposed to rise in East Village at 9th Avenue S.E., Eau Claire on 3rd Avenue S.W., and west downtown, where the Roadhouse nightclub sits on 8th Street S.W. CPA will first build the East Village parkade — with office towers and retail space built alongside — to handle visitors to the National Music Centre and future central library.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...653/story.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:21 PM

Is there a timeline on the East Village parkade? NMC should be open in about a year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is there a timeline on the East Village parkade? NMC should be open in about a year.
Thought I heard u/c by years end

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:34 PM
Editor

Quote:
If they are done anything like the SAIT parkade, then they are good, if they end up like the Palliser Parkade, then they are a FAIL! Also, they should have retail at the base facing the street like the Bow Parkade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Sorry, are we talking about the Bay Parkade, or the Bow Parkade?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:46 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Sorry, are we talking about the Bay Parkade, or the Bow Parkade?
The Bay Parkade changed its name to Bow Parkade years before the Bow tower was built.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:54 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
The Bay Parkade changed its name to Bow Parkade years before the Bow tower was built.
Ahh, you learn something new everyday

While the Bow parkade maybe a bit on the ugly side, I do really like the retail at grade. I've seen this in many other parkades in other cities where the parkades were nicer and it works well. Even here in Calgary, you could use Colors, or the parkade on 4th street and 18th ave as examples of a good way to do a parkade.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 7:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Wasn't it car hold?
While I've never read the script... given the, shall we say, common vernacular they were aiming for, I'm 100% confident it was "car hole". "Car hold" sounds fancy by comparison. Of course it's always possible I've entirely missed the joke.

True story, I've had Americans make fun of how I say "garage" before - almost verbatim like that Simpsons' joke. It's priceless when I pull out "car hole" and they realize just how much life imitates art.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 7:59 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
People need to gear down with the word fail when discussing something they don't like. Not singling you out, just your use of it broke the camels back so to speak and I had to rant. Sorry.

The Bay Parkade (old names die hard) is a 70ish year old structure the served a need for a period of time. Yes, it's a garish remnant of a past era and is outdated. "Fail"? No.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:01 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
People need to gear down with the word fail when discussing something they don't like. Not singling you out, just your use of it broke the camels back so to speak and I had to rant. Sorry.

The Bay Parkade (old names die hard) is a 70ish year old structure the served a need for a period of time. Yes, it's a garish remnant of a past era and is outdated. "Fail"? No.
I would argue it's one of the better parkades given it construction era, see city centre parkade and it's street interface on both 9th and 10th.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates