HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:16 AM

Areas that you wish were redeveloped

This may sound similar to previous thread about anticipated developments, but while that one was more about actual proposals under construction or recently announced that you were looking forward to, this one is about areas you wish were redeveloped but have no plans currently announced.

For example...

Have you ever driven by a parcel of land and though "what a waste of prime land" or seen a building and thought "they need to tear that shit down soon". This is where we can discuss that! Also, add what you would like to see built there in it's place!

1.) 11th ave and 14st SW

That 1960's style mall that seems to be only open during Halloween time for costumes, but is closed for the other 11 months of the year. What a waste of land. Driving by it makes it seem like you are in a rundown part of town. I would love to see a highrise condo put in it's place with a nice podium with lots of retail at the bottom. While they are at it, they can get rid of that parking lot beside it too...

2.) "The Fitness Centre" on 12th ave and 12th street??

With Oslo behind it, and Stella overshadowing it to the east. I can't believe that's been sitting vacant for so long.

3.) that small vacant spot beside "Kuzina" on 17th ave.

With the push to develop east on 17th ave, let's not forget that there are still parts of 17th ave that are left. Does anyone know why that spot has just been sitting there forever? I'd love to see something with the similar scale to Kuzina or 80th and Ivy in it's spot. Such an eyesore.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more when I can think of more

Your turn!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:30 AM

Westbrook. I would love to see it become a high end TOD with pedestrian focused retail and residential projects similar to those being built in East Village.

West Village. We really need to see that area redeveloped and get rid of the bus depot and car lots there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:04 AM

Those are great choices, but those have already been announced and even though they are a long ways away, there is a plan for those areas in the long term.

I was referring more to some overlooked areas that are not often talked about on this forum that have no current plans, but you wish would go away,

Another example for me would be the Old Blockbuster site in Kensington. Something similar to Lido would be great at that spot.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Most of the main vacant parcels are already accounted for, so it's a tough call. I for sure second that 17th ave and 11th street parcel, as well as 1st sw.

Also like to see most of the Eau-Claire lots and the lots along the tracks fill up. Calgary will fill like a really big city once this happens.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 2:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I would like the Bridges phase 2 and 3 to build out fully.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 2:14 PM

the old science center should be a theatre or some sort of art/music location.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 2:53 PM
恭喜发财!

The giant parking lots at Anderson and the lots on the east side of Macleod at Canyon Meadows LRT. Also the strip mall / big boxes on the east side of Macleod at Chinook. Such wasted space at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:35 PM
effete latte-lifter

16th Ave between Crowchild and Deerfoot should be something special, not what it is.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Damn I agree with all of these picks. How about the those two big lots in vic park, the ones where ClubSport and First South are proposed. Might be in the works, but not sure how serious either of these two developers are in actually building.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:05 PM
of Canada

All the lots between 4th and 8th along 9th ave and 10th across the tracks.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:23 PM
not a NIMBY

Fire Park, Burnsland, Highfield, and Manchester.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Damn I agree with all of these picks. How about the those two big lots in vic park, the ones where ClubSport and First South are proposed. Might be in the works, but not sure how serious either of these two developers are in actually building.
I don't think First South is happening anymore? Such a shame, cause that would have been awesome

EDIT- There is a project in vancouver called Paramount place that I love. That would be perfect where First South was going to be. 4-5 levels of Retail with 450 residential units on top which I think what the city wanted. Every time I see Paramount place it makes me drool

http://bosaproperties.com/projects/p...n-vancouver-bc

Last edited by *Stardust*; Feb 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
16th Ave between Crowchild and Deerfoot should be something special, not what it is.
This, in-particular Center & 16th some of the best transit service in the city and yet we have a vacant lot on one corner and some low rise commercial (possibly even partially vacant) on another. Not to mention the slightly sketchy nature of some of the other establishments on that corner.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I don't think First South is happening anymore? Such a shame, cause that would have been awesome

EDIT- There is a project in vancouver called Paramount place that I love. That would be perfect where First South was going to be. 4-5 levels of Retail with 450 residential units on top which I think what the city wanted. Every time I see Paramount place it makes me drool

I would love to see a large downtown movie-theatre complex built First South. Like a real big-city one you described. Chinook doesn't have to be the centre of the world for movies night. Movie theatres would add a huge bump in activity as they can attract large crowds at odd times in the evening.

What I would like to see in addition to that, is a few St John's- sized developments up 4th Street NW, Centre and Edmonton Tr. While I am very excited about the inner city growth that is happening, I really want to see the density growth push out farther into the burbs.

TOD growth along the NW and South Line would also be exciting. Imagine if Chinook actually reflected it's popularity and destination? There would be 30 condo blocks in that area. People can't seem to get enough of it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:14 PM

Unless I've missed something... McLeod trail could really use some work (specifically south of that hill with the cemetery on it and north of Chinook). More pedestrian friendly, general de-uglification, maybe some trees or something...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
All the lots between 4th and 8th along 9th ave and 10th across the tracks.
I always wondered if this wasn't prime real-estate to develop an intercity / regional / intermodal hub?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:

IIRC the reason that first south was rejected by the city was precisely because it didn't have the residential element that paramount place has.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
IIRC the reason that first south was rejected by the city was precisely because it didn't have the residential element that paramount place has.
So now what? Are they going to come back with a new proposal that includes residential or is that project dead??

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Unless I've missed something... McLeod trail could really use some work (specifically south of that hill with the cemetery on it and north of Chinook). More pedestrian friendly, general de-uglification, maybe some trees or something...
Literally anything would improve that area. It's as big of a disaster as this city can offer. Although 14th Street is a close second. Both are complete re-dos.

I would love to see the Macleod Trail section to Chinook get a inner-city vibe. Good transit, anchored by two of the city's most singificant activity centres (DT and Chinook). This is a no-brainer to me. Hell, even the residential areas are building condos and townhouses and they are only a block away from this toilet of a street. Image the development if it was actually an attractive place!

I guess it is a 2 million population goal. There are just too many better spots before someone attacks this garbage.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
So now what? Are they going to come back with a new proposal that includes residential or is that project dead??
Likely its dead. They didn't think they could make the numbers work if they had to include the residential, as it changes the structural design and it would take longer to get to the point it can open for business. So it will probably sit vacant for a while, its making a small fortune from parking so its not like they are losing money from not doing anything.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates