HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 7:45 PM
BANNED

1 - Telus Sky. I'm a huge BIG fan and this one is just stunning...

2 - Place 10. Disappears another block of rail dt, but more importantly sets a new bar for how to develop along the underpasses.

3 - Mr Sub site. Love the look and scale of this one, and sets a new standard for 16 Av N to follow.

4 - Eau Claire Market. I generally prefer more granular builds, different buildings from different eras over full block at once developments, but they've really nailed this, best current large scale project IMO.

5 - NMC. Could end up being the nicest cultural project in the province, though I'd love to see it topped by the new library!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Marriot Club Sport seems to be very popular around here. I'm worried all this talk about it being on hold is gonna put the whole project in limbo I hope this is not the case
To me It has the most metropolitan big city feel of any proposals currently. Also it's the most incongruent with what we normally see with point towers everywhere. I really hope it goes ahead and isn't cursed to disappear in limbo.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:05 PM
Fake News

Can I add one for a fantasy favourite? Something to fill the pit of the sky tower site. Man it is unbelievable that thing is still sitting there not even capped to grade like 7 years after the fact. Drove by it today and what a hole that creates on 10th ave.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Can I add one for a fantasy favourite? Something to fill the pit of the sky tower site. Man it is unbelievable that thing is still sitting there not even capped to grade like 7 years after the fact. Drove by it today and what a hole that creates on 10th ave.
Which one is that?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:22 PM

So much stuff!

1. Eau Claire Stuff. If done properly, I feel like this development can be the catalyst that transforms downtown Calgary from a CBD with a few pockets of activity outside of business hours, to a vibrant, 24/7 hub.

2. Brookfield Place. Both for new tallest status, and for the gorgeous looking plaza or square or whatever they're calling it. It looks like it'll be an actual destination where... things can happen. Not another sterile, deserted, office building entrance.

3. Telus Sky. Another >200m tower, and a stunning one at that. And it's actually going to be mixed use. I'm all for having more non-office towers going up downtown.

4. National Music Centre. Definitely a place I'll be wanting to check out. Can't wait to go there and soak in some inspiration.

5. Central Library. More public space downtown. More reasons for Calgarians to, well, go downtown.

Honorable Mentions: The crap load of residential projects in the Beltline and East Village. More than I can keep track of! I'm very excited to see how Calgary looks once a good chunk of these are done!

Overall, it's a very interesting time to be living here. More and more, my list of things to complain about is being reduced to "winter", "mosquitos", and "Stampede". As a life-long Calgarian, I've definitely been itching to live elsewhere for a while. But, to see Calgary develop the way it is... exciting stuff!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 9:05 PM

1. 8th Street master plan: Very overdue and a critical piece to securing urbanity in Calgary into the next few decades. I would include the Mount Royal Village redevelopment in this one, as it is a crucial addition that takes us from small city to BIG-city.

2. Cycletrack Network: Revolutionize the way short-trips are done in the inner city. Not all may be built right away, but gaining a N-S and E-W connector through the entire core / Beltline will be enough to galvanize the entire thing.

3. Telus Sky: Because its very tall and pretty.

4. Eau Claire: Same reason as everyone else. Will truly give a central location to the city and integrates well all aspects: the park, plaza, retail, housing (1,000+ units!!) and will push the area over the critical threshold of density to be truly bustling. I will lump the 7-tower project in with this as it is largely the same benefits to the area (another 1,000+ units!!). The more the better.

5. Green-line BRT tied with East Village: huge project and will impact the way that the city grows and develops. Will do more to connect the East parts of the City to the core than anything in years.

Can't wait for these to get going.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

#1 (tie) telus sky and eau Claire redevelopment.
2 green line.
3 national music center
4 new library ( can't friggin wait!!!!!)
5 eau claire 7 tower project.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 10:31 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

1. Brookfield Place - New tallest! (although I wish it was taller). Excited to see how the glazing, rounded corners & crown turn out.

2. Telus Sky - Very unique design (love the protruding ice cubes look) and another tower that surpasses SEC in height. Will be great to watch rise at the same time as Brookfield (I hope).

3. Kings on 4th - I really want to see some height further west in the skyline.

4. Guardian - Stretch that skyline vertically & horizontally baby!! Also sets a bar to be surpassed (height wise) for residential in this City.

5. New Library - Simply a landmark project for the City, I'm very anxious to see design. Hoping it helps address the connectivity of the EV to downtown currently blocked by City Hall.

A few Notes:
- The new Arena, and for godsake please FOOTBALL STADIUM would be #2 or #3 if officially announced.
- I'm very excited about the Southwest Ring Road but I kept my list to buildings only.
- I love the new Manulife building but if only it was at least twice the height.
- Honourable mention to NMC, City Centre II, and yes even 3EC (please don't throw things at me).

Great thread - we have an embarrassment of riches to choose from in this city, really relishing the exiting times we are having in Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 10:56 PM
not a NIMBY

Chinook Centre 2 million sq ft expansion
Currie Barracks urban village
Brewery re-development Inglewood
Erlton mixed use by Anthem
Former CBE site

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Former CBE site
That's a refreshing list. I'm afraid mine are more in line with the crowd:

1. New library
2. Eau Claire
3. NMC
4. Telus Sky
5. Eau Claire 7 towers

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:43 PM

My list of five anticipated developments:

(1) Southwest Ring Road construction schedule.
(2)New schools construction start and completion dates for the ~20 new schools the government has announced. Including reconstruction of Elbow Park School, combining new requirements on the inside with old architecture on the outside.
(3) Opening of the International Terminal and rollout of the features. Also announcement of when dry run tests will be located (e.g. looing for volunteers to test the passenger throughput).
(4) Terms of Reference for consultation and engagement processes for Corridor Studies. Specifically what the new Crowchild Corridor study will look like.
(5) Long term Flood Mitigation proposals. I anticipate there to be some interesting developments that will cause a lot of discussion for Calgarians. For example its starting to become apparent that Calgary could be faced with the prospect of chosing between flood mitigation and infrastructure projects such as new Route Ahead.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Former CBE site

What's the plan for the brewery? Hasn't that been in talks forever?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:54 AM

My wish list:

1) Moon-base Alpha
2) Mars-base Alpha
3) ...

oh?
You meant terrestrial?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:42 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
What's the plan for the brewery? Hasn't that been in talks forever?
Don't know what they have planned, but on the M2i website they say they have a plan "brewing".

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Don't know what they have planned, but on the M2i website they say they have a plan "brewing".
Hmm just had an idea. Toronto has their Steam Whistle brewery downtown and Vancouver has their Granville Island brewery downtown. Wouldn't it be nice to have the Wild Rose brewery downtown as well? They could put it in Inglewood at the old brewery. It would make for a fun destination for people in the neighbourhood and for tourists. Just a thought

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:34 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Hmm just had an idea. Toronto has their Steam Whistle brewery downtown and Vancouver has their Granville Island brewery downtown. Wouldn't it be nice to have the Wild Rose brewery downtown as well? They could put it in Inglewood at the old brewery. It would make for a fun destination for people in the neighbourhood and for tourists. Just a thought
The reason the brewery located there was to tap into the aquifer so I wonder if a new brewery, like Wild Rose could do that?
I hope the project makes use of the historic structures on the property and fits into the existing neighbourhood. The property owner is one of the owners of EAP.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:38 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Love the Inglewood Brewery idea, would be fantastic IMO.
Save the Buffalo!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Former CBE site
I wouldn't have really thought to pick these for my top 5, but interesting picks nonetheless. Bosa's working on a big mixed-use town centre for Currie Barracks. Lets hope the success of Garrison Woods rolls over this neighborhood.

Erlton and Chinook expansion have a lot of potential too. Macleod south of Chinook is more urban than north at the moment. Wtf?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
The reason the brewery located there was to tap into the aquifer so I wonder if a new brewery, like Wild Rose could do that?
I hope the project makes use of the historic structures on the property and fits into the existing neighbourhood. The property owner is one of the owners of EAP.
I believe Wild Rose' new brewery is already under construction. Or at least the land is already bought. Not sure what the current status is.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:44 PM

Telus Sky
Verve (RIFF)
Manulife
Calgary Central Public Library
Mount Royal Village

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates