HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: 3EC Like it love it or hate it?
Love it 51 32.48%
Like it 77 49.04%
Meh... 15 9.55%
Hate it 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
what? do you have anymore info on this?
It is not being redesigned.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
I like its exterior design....but checking into the details, and I found they lack a few important touches. Look at all the upper level units over $1 mil, they do not even have fireplaces in these expensive suites. I asked the Sales agents a few times over the months about how many layers of glass walls the building will be constructed, and they just said they do not know. The floor map shows 3-lines of the glass walls for exterior, but likely they will put only two layers as the standard. 3-layer walls would be much better for sound proof in the crazy downtown siren environment. The sales agent always said that not final details and can be fixed later, but not sure I want to sign a contrast with over $1 million intent to buy a condo yet, they have no details.
What are the upper level units like? Do you have info on square footage range, price range, and # of bedrooms available? The only thing I've seen so far are the 600 sqft 2 bedrooms as part of "phase 1".

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
What are the upper level units like? Do you have info on square footage range, price range, and # of bedrooms available? The only thing I've seen so far are the 600 sqft 2 bedrooms as part of "phase 1".
I went recently. There are no details, no info, no timeframe to start construction, noting. Their estimated completion date is 2017 but that's really based off of nothing as far as I can tell given the lack of information I was getting. There was zero info on phase 2 apart from "bigger more expensive units". No timeframe for when they will go on sale etc. If Shaw wasn't an anchor tenant in this building I'd be calling it vaporware

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 7:14 AM

^^ Loren: No! You kind of pay attention to the history of some of this stuff. This project has been marketed for what, 3 1/2 years. They finally land a tenant (Shaw), so then you start feeling good about it's chances. Then come some changes here and their. I'd like to see what kind of a contract Shaw signed! I might be wrong, there has been one or two slight design changes and something with the Bp... You tell me! I'm just throwing a thought or two out there.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 7:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Still no pile drivers here yet?? What's going on!??
Probably waiting till the new year now.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:06 AM
BANNED

If there's no activity here within the next week or so, is it fair to say this project is dead?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:06 AM

When I went to the sales centre in May, they said it was a go for June if the weather cooperated. Unfortunately it didn't but seriously it is now January!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:12 PM
Editor

If I had to guess, I would say the project isn't dead, but that something is on hold somewhere, maybe the BP?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
When I went to the sales centre in May, they said it was a go for June if the weather cooperated. Unfortunately it didn't but seriously it is now January!
I would be surprised to see it die, as Shaw has signed up for the office space.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:18 PM

tower crane positioning issue in relation to the other eau Claire tower going up across the street. I know there are proximity limits and I think the way the other tower crane is positioned makes it problematic for the 3EC one to go up. Might be a long wait if that's the case

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:25 PM
ARTchitecture

They could still at least commence with excavation of the site. Do they need a tower crane to pour the foundation and parking levels?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
They could still at least commence with excavation of the site. Do they need a tower crane to pour the foundation and parking levels?
No, but its a lot more work/expensive to do it without. Without a crane you'd need more street lane closures to accommodate the pump trucks, and mobile cranes for doing work that you need a crane for (such as lifting forms) which the city charges for. Then you have to pay for the operators of those equipment, and use of that equipment itself. Tower cranes could work out to be fairly cheap in comparison, which is why we've been seeing more of them on smaller scale projects than we used to.

So any proximity issue could impact the timeline as if they may need to change the plans for how the building is constructed to meet whatever requirements they've been forced to deal with from the adjacent site. That or they could just wait to start until a point so that by the time excavation is completed that the other crane may have been taken down.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
No, but its a lot more work/expensive to do it without. Without a crane you'd need more street lane closures to accommodate the pump trucks, and mobile cranes for doing work that you need a crane for (such as lifting forms) which the city charges for. Then you have to pay for the operators of those equipment, and use of that equipment itself. Tower cranes could work out to be fairly cheap in comparison, which is why we've been seeing more of them on smaller scale projects than we used to.

So any proximity issue could impact the timeline as if they may need to change the plans for how the building is constructed to meet whatever requirements they've been forced to deal with from the adjacent site. That or they could just wait to start until a point so that by the time excavation is completed that the other crane may have been taken down.
Proximity should be able to be solved by use of a luffer style crane no?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:16 PM

lorenavadon: Tower Crane positioning.... How do they do it in New York, Chicago?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
tower crane positioning issue in relation to the other eau Claire tower going up across the street. I know there are proximity limits and I think the way the other tower crane is positioned makes it problematic for the 3EC one to go up. Might be a long wait if that's the case
Oh great, it's bad enough that stupid chubby stubby getting built but now it is holding up construction of 3EC as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:38 PM

For what it's worth, I walked by the site yesterday and there were 3 construction guys onsite with a small digger moving dirt around. Definitely nothing substantial or anything resembling a start to construction but perhaps a sign that the project's not completely dead.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:42 PM

I don't think the developer would go as far as closing the parking lot, and prepping the site for construction only to bail on it

Must be a hold up with the BP or something - maybe in relation to Eau Claire Tower

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
lorenavadon: Tower Crane positioning.... How do they do it in New York, Chicago?
Probably the same way as they would here, but waiting for the other crane to be higher.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
For what it's worth, I walked by the site yesterday and there were 3 construction guys onsite with a small digger moving dirt around. Definitely nothing substantial or anything resembling a start to construction but perhaps a sign that the project's not completely dead.
I doubt it's completely dead, but definitely something holding things up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 12:35 AM

The City should get better with approving permits on time. These developments can be very time sensitive and every delay in breaking ground can have serious financial consequences for the stakeholders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates